Long term use of steroids creams

Could it be a reason new fissures appear?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Long term use of steroids creams

Postby c0rgi » 28 May 2024, 07:25

Hi,

I used to have a big issue with (semi)chronic fissure a year ago. I took me around 3 months to heal, it came back once or twice over next months but in the end it fully healed.

The issue I have now is that whenever I get a harder stool I'm prone to new fissures. It's not the same spot as the old one, but I get very small fissures that heal over 2-3 days usually. Old fissure never bled, those bleed. I never used to have fissures before the one last year and that one was caused not by constipation but by playing with toys with my gf.

Now, I've got a little bit worried because I have found that steroid creams can cause skin thinning and I've been wondering if the issue I have now is the result of my prolonged use of hydrocortisone cream. Over those 3 months last year I've been prescribed bunch of ointments, from various steroid creams to diltiazem. I only learned about potential side effects after I finished my treatment.

I don't remember exact details how long I've used those creams but over that period I've used both 0.5% (5mg in 1g) cream and 0.25% cream (not at the same time obv) with at least 4 to 8 weeks of constant use twice a day. I think there were periods where I used hyaluronic acid cream as an alternative but I don't remember if those were significant breaks from using steroid creams.

Could i have thinned my skin permanently and that's the reason I keep getting (minor) fissures now? :cry: As I said, before that fissure last year I never had issues with AF.
c0rgi

Topics: 1