Fistula?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Fistula?

Postby Guest » 01 Mar 2011, 07:56

Bumbutt wrote:Hope so - And I hope it is feeling better today... I bet you are thinking about all the possibilities. It could even be some irritation from your recent visit to the crs? An ingrown hair? You could put some icthamol ointment on it or something...

I remember being at the CRS just a few days before I noticed what I thought was infection down there too. I'm with Bumbutt, it may just be some irritation.

Postby alpinestrawberry » 01 Mar 2011, 08:15

It is a little better today! Still have a slightly tender bump, but it looks less red. I was thinking maybe it could be irritation too...I didn't feel sore after the exam, but you never know. He used the scope, and I got the finger twice, thanks to my tampon. Apparantly tampons feel a lot like rectal tumors... Image Sorry if that's TMI, but, is there such a thing as TMI here?
So anyway, after such a thorough exam, wouldn't he have noticed if there was some sort of sinister trouble brewing?
Bumbutt, I'm not sure what icthamol ointment is? Is that available in the US?
Here's hoping it continues to fade away!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Bumbutt » 02 Mar 2011, 01:41

I hope it continues to disappear! Icthamol ointment is available in the US, and it's a little bit tar like ointment that is an anti-septic - my Mom always said that it "draws out" the infection. I don't know if that's really so, but I use it on little infections, splinters, etc, and it seems to work just fine. But, if your butt is getting better, then I say leave well enough alone.
Hope you'll have a "GBD" - Good Butt Day.
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby alpinestrawberry » 02 Mar 2011, 08:01

Thanks, so far it is a GBD! The bump is still there but the soreness is continuing to fade away. Miralax is doing it's job, I haven't had a retear for several weeks running and even the burning after a BM has gone away.
My butt almost feels normal, not that it is. I know it's tight and there's no way I'm backing out of the surgery. I may still have to take Miralax long after the surgery but I'm OK with that.
Speaking of surgery...I still haven't made that call. I know I need to, but that sore bump really threw me! I needed to sort out whether it was anything serious first. And I hate to aggravate it with the numbing shots I know he's going to give me during the surgery. And I'm getting anxious about the whole thing too...darn that anxiety, it paralyzes me!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby SummerGal » 26 Jun 2011, 22:01

I had an abcess that burst on my left butt cheek. It feels pretty good now, just minor itchy feeling from time to time really, and a small amount of drainage.
I happened to go to the colorectal surgeon, the timing was coincidence, since I was actually going about a skin tag and hemorroids. He literally just did an exam for 30 seconds and said I had a fistula. Are all abcesses that open a fistula? How could he know that quickly or is there a chance it isn't a fistula still? If you can "eye it" is that good or bad as far as it being a complicated fistula? He didn't give me any information about what kind it was and only said after I called him back later that he would either deroof it, but a drain in it or do the thread thing. I am going to talk to another doctor, if I can get in, because he seemed so rushed and brusk. I need to feel like the doctor cares a little bit! lol
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby SummerGal » 26 Jun 2011, 22:02

Strawberry,
Did you ever decide on surgery or not? If so, how did it go?
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 26 Jun 2011, 22:11

Summer,
Alpines surgery experience is in the "Considering Surgery or Already had it" threads. :)

Postby val » 28 Jun 2011, 13:12

Hi Summer,
your doctor might not be just being awkward - they cannot see how far the fistula has tracked until they do a EUA. They decide what's best to do once they have you anaesthatised. If it's a low one, they will lay it open - deroof it, but if it goes through the muscle - a high fistula, they will possibly put a seton in it as it could leave you incontinent if they just cut it.
Hope that helps!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby SummerGal » 28 Jun 2011, 14:56

Thanks for the information Val. Any of the options seems so scary to me. I am praying it's an easy one to fix! I am going to an appointment with another surgeon next week, and hopefully we are a better "fit" personality wise. I wish this weren't happening! Ugh!
SummerGal
Salt Bather