spasms 3 months out???

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

spasms 3 months out???

Postby New mum » 28 Feb 2011, 21:32

so its now been 3 1/2 months since lis and as u know things took a turn a few weeks ago and now today i think i am getting spasms. not to sure what i should do, should i go and get some rectrogesic again or just wait it out a few days to see what happens???
ps i dont want to go back to my crs, i would rather go to my gp she is really good.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: spasms 3 months out???

Postby Guest » 01 Mar 2011, 07:31

New mum,
I would definitely see a doctor, even if you have to find a new CRS. I don't think it's normal to still be having spasms after three months post-op.

Postby StevePain » 01 Mar 2011, 13:44

I had many spasms in the first 3-4 months after LIS, this is while the sphincter is re-adjusting and finding it's resting place, as always, some people will find the spasms are gone almost straight away after LIS while others take much longer, it's what makes us all different, personally I'd just carry on.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby New mum » 01 Mar 2011, 17:25

Is there anyone on here that has taken 6months or longer to heal completely with out having to go back for a 2nd Lis???
I just worry that i will get to the 9-12months period and things have not healed and need to go back for another one and i would have just wasted another 1 of my life. I am over going to see CRS doctors and not likeing them, there is not one female CRS doctor in my city and when i google them there is only 2 in our country.
I also worry that my sphincter is regaining strenght and then my fissure has no chance of healing
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby StevePain » 02 Mar 2011, 04:45

I'm at 7 months post-op and still not healed fully, though I only get minimal discomfort it's still annoying, I'm not sure if anyone else has taken this long to heal completely without having another procedure but I still have faith that I'll heal without more surgical intervention, staying positive and praying gets me through it.
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 02 Mar 2011, 10:13

New Mum, I have read of some taking awhile to heal but I don't recall reading that they still had spasms months after LIS. Maybe I missed something?!
Staying positive is very important but as far as I know spasms are what keep a fissure from healing before LIS so they have to stop in order for the fissure to heal.
That sucks that you can't see a female CRS. Mine is a female and I feel much comfortable with her than the male I had seen previously.
I'm hoping you can see someone and figure out a way to get the spasms to stop!

Postby alpinestrawberry » 02 Mar 2011, 12:04

Well, male or female, the thing that really matters is your comfort level with the doctor. I always tend to choose female doctors too, out of personal preference, but I have in the past had male doctors I liked more than the female ones! I once had a female OBGYN that was as cold as ice; I liked the man in the practice way better.
Unfortunately there weren't any female CRS's in my insurance network. So I just chose one based on his good reviews. And much to my relief, he's not creepy and he doesn't make me feel uncomfortable at all.
I don't know how many choices you have, New mum, but it's a shame you can't find a CRS you like better. A surgeon's personality is just as important to me as his skill with the knife. Life's too short to let these butt problems get the better of us!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby New mum » 11 Mar 2011, 00:28

So its now about 4 months and still spasms it only happens maybe twice or 3 times a day. But i still dont like it and makes me feel sick with worry that the lis did not work.
I am now at the stage that i know i prob should see a CSR again and see what they say but i really dont want to go thru the whole finding another one that i like. If only i could pay my GP to come with me back to one that done my surgery so i would feel comfortable hehehe.
I know steve you say you would just give it more time, do you still get spasms at all?
I am really sick to death of this...just having a down day coz i want to get my life back.
Thanks for listening
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Bumbutt » 11 Mar 2011, 01:21

Hi - sorry you are feeling down... Image
What kind of spasms are you having? - the constant ones or the zingers?
Your GP should be able to prescribe rectogesic for you... it might help. And then you could also have a chat with her about how things are going. Maybe you could consider booking a consultation with the CRS that you saw previously (if you didn't find a better one that you like), in like 2 months time (to give time for the rectogesic to have some effect).
I know here that booking a time often takes 3 months or so... so even if you booked something now, you would have to wait, and if things got better, you could then cancel the appointment.
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby StevePain » 11 Mar 2011, 14:13

New mum wrote:I know steve you say you would just give it more time, do you still get spasms at all?

I rarely get spasms now, I only ever get what I would call "Sphincter twinges" after a bad toilet day, the really bad spasms are gone, I notice these twinges when I get up from a sitting position and the internal sphincter tenses up but they are not painful just weird, I still get some minor discomfort after BM as well but this usually wears off quite quickly, things have tightened up a bit too
StevePain
King Fissure