Do conservative treatments EVER work?? (for chronic fissures

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Do conservative treatments EVER work?? (for chronic fissures

Postby catnap » 03 Mar 2011, 15:46

I went to my doc this week convinced she'd suggest surgery and mentally prepared to say yes. Instead she's getting me to try rectogesic. She was really confident it was worth a try. All the literature I've read is very ambiguous about whether it works any better than placebo. In the UK it's prescribed for pain rather than healing! I'm in Australia and it's weaker so I'm struggling see how this will cure. But then I wonder if there are lots of successful cases that we wouldn't find on forums cus maybe when you get over a fissure you get on with your life? Like all the bad news stories on LIS, probably loads get it done with no issue at all.
Does anyone have any uplifting success stories??
I've started rectogesic but as I suffer headaches and lightheadness at the best of times I'm only using 1/3 of the recommended dose. Figure if I'm ok I can up the dose. So far so good. I'm noticing an improvement but then I have good and bad days without so could be coincidence. Even with the small dose I am feeling weird, kinda spaced out. No headache - well my sinuses are playing up but they were before I started this so not an issue. I'm nervous about driving, esp as I've only had my license for a year (and getting when you are in late 30s makes you a nervous driver anyway). I have to drive though where we live. I got up at 6am this morn to take to give 3 hours to wear off before I drive. And after 4 years of being pregnant or breastfeeding I've been enjoying a few wines but the package says stop/cut down on alcohol. Agh.
Anyways, my thinking is - this cream is going to be a real pain. If there's a chance it might actually properly heal this thing then it's worth it. BUT seems some people are taking this all the time? I just cannot see this as a long-term solution. I tried to do some dancing with my kids this morn and felt really dizzy. I was able to go for walk yesterday but did feel worn out. I can put up with these effects for a few weeks but what if this thing doesn't heal?
catnap
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Do conservative treatments EVER work?? (for chronic fissures

Postby Bumbutt » 04 Mar 2011, 01:57

I think they cite a 50% healing rate with the ointments??? Something like that. My CRS also put me back on rectogesic (he seems to be conservative). I had used it for 6 weeks, and then stopped because I felt it was actually causing more spasms (still not sure if it was or not). Anyway, I think it probably did help relax the sphincter, although not enough to help me heal yet. This second time around i'm giving it another try.
I quickly got over the headaches, and the light headedness hits me just after applying it. I found that combining rectogesic and hot baths was not good since both lead to light headedness. Otherwise, I wasn't lightheaded for long, but everyone's different. Can you time the application so that it doesn't interfere as much? More at nighttime?
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Guest » 04 Mar 2011, 07:26

Hey catnap,
I believe the ointments can work. I think the biggest factor is getting them before the fissure is chronic. I've noticed on the few people I've seen post who did well with the ointment that they started using it before their fissures hit the chronic stage.
I'm one of the LIS stories that weren't a nightmare! I agree and believe that the majority aren't. I know two people personally who had this same surgery and did as well as I have and never posted in a forum!
:)

Postby alpinestrawberry » 04 Mar 2011, 09:55

I'm with Bumbutt...maybe half the time the ointment works, but the recurrence rate is high. But they are very helpful, I wouldn't want to be without some type of ointment to relax the sphincter again. I have gotten my fissures under control for nearly a month now, although to be honest I think Miralax plays a bigger role there than the nitro. And as far as the alcohol goes, you probably shouldn't take advice from me but, I managed to drink an entire bottle of wine by myself...I think I just skipped applying it that night.
It feels good to not be in pain, but I don't trust my butt one bit; I'm having the surgery anyway. We're all different though. I don't know how long you've had your fissures? They are tough to heal, but if you're determined not to have the surgery, well, I'm sure they can be managed, it's just a lot of constant vigilance.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Guest01 » 16 Mar 2011, 08:00

In my opinion, the moment the fissure became chronic there is little to no hope for a conservative treatment to work. The more honest CRS admit it as well. Most of them are leery to actually do the surgery because of this and that but I think deep down they know the LIS could be our only option for getting back our lives.
The NTG does actually very good, in my experience, the pain is (usually) minimal and it only lasts for minutes after a BM but unfortunately it does not heal, not fully. Every once in a while, I'm bound to tear myself up again. That's why I'm going to have the surgery, because of the pain and because the regimen we're forced to keep may help us with the fissure but it may cause damage to other organs.
But I found Rectogesic extremely helpful with managing the pain during a BM and, more important, afterwards. Of course, adding Miralax too, Magnesium caps and eating pretty much only oatmeal and veggies.
Guest01
Fibre Addict

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Mar 2011, 13:37

I think conservative treatments can and do work. Honestly I think their success rates would be even higher if so many patients didn't waste time with uninformed doctors. So many of us have wasted months trying useless treatments like hydrocortisone creams and increasing fiber intake with weak stool softeners like docusate sodium ... all on the advice of our doctors. That's valuable time wasted. By the time we get on fissure-appropriate treatments like nitroglycerin, or more effective stool softeners like Miralax, things have gone chronic and the odds of success with non-surgical modalities goes down dramatically. That gives us a skewed belief that the creams/ointments don't work when they may have just been given too late.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby magnesium » 19 Mar 2011, 00:25

hi just wanted to answer your question i have had complete success.calcium/magnesium ratio was my problem calcium far to high magnesium to low.hair mineral test showed this.i had fissures for five years every day,tried everything nothing really worked until i addressed my magnesium problem.doctors have no clue on taking magnesium supplements.i cured mine by taking large doses every day 1000mg manesium amino acid chelated form.this form of magnesium did not cause runny stools.i also rub magnesium chloride oil all over my body once a day. started to work after a week it is now 6 month i have no hint off them.see what happens is magnesium gets low calcium dominates the anal sphinter it contracts permanentaly.once you correct the imbalance magnesium starts to relax the anal sphinter,it opens up easily and does not tear.you also need to get dairy out of your diet because it has far to much calcium in it 10/1 ratio we are not designed to eat dairy like we have been told.you have to be dissaplined with treatment it takes abuot four months for magnesium levels to become normal it did with me anyway.all other forms of magnesium did not work well the two i mentioned work the best.dont be afraid of high doses any eccess is passed out via the kidneys as long as they function correctly.also try to cut out a lot of carbohydrate out of the diet most natural foods are good sources of magnesium.to me a natural diet is anything unprocessed.meat ,vegetables,fruit and nuts [dairy,grains and cereals snacks breads] are almost all processed foods and not natural to our digestive system.adding all these changes fixed my fissures.my local doctor was very interested in my progress he is doing similar things now with his patients and having great success with fissures in the elderly.by the way other things also cleared up with me this is a list of them,carpal tunnel both wrists,headaches,cramping sore muscles,insomnia,skin rashes,weak and tired all the time,ibs syndrome,sore joints,mouth ulcers,light headed and faintness,servere cistic acne had it for 27years now completely gone.my doctor was shocked by that one.i hope this helps someone ask me a question if you like thanks
magnesium
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Savaici » 19 Mar 2011, 14:55

It is very interesting to read your results from this. I would like to read up on this and wonder if you can post some links to research, information, etc. Thanks!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby catnap » 19 Mar 2011, 15:07

Magnesium - do you take magnesium with food? I've had to give up rectogesic due to weird side-effects (dizziness, heart palps - not 100% sure it's the drug might be anxiety). But have been taking magnesium to keep stools soft and noticing a difference. Says to take with food though, so I'm having with dinner or late snack.
catnap
Fibre Addict

Postby magnesium » 19 Mar 2011, 18:04

Hi no taking it with food is not as good because the calcium in the food tends to compete with the magnesium when you are low on magnesium it is worse i take it a 1/2 an hour before meals or just anytime on its own a lot of magnesium researches subjest this not just me,nutralife chelate 750 [the actual mag content in each capsul is 150mg] and natures own amino acid chelated 500mg[mag content 100mg] i take 1000mg does each day thats a fair bit hope this helps.
magnesium
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1