New here and entering chronic-land....

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New here and entering chronic-land....

Postby nycanon » 09 Mar 2011, 21:20

Hi everyone. Like all of you, I wish I didn't have to be a part of this forum, but I'm so glad it's here. I've gotten over (most) of the embarrassment of having an anal fissure and have started to vent to close friends & family, but talking about it with people who don't understand the level of pain just isn't the same.
My fissure started back in late December around the holidays, and because I didn't do my homework and figure out how to take care of it, it just got worse and worse. By February each bm brought tears to my eyes, so I got an appt. with a gastroenterologist who quickly diagnosed a severe internal anal fissure. She started me on conservative measures (Colace, sitz baths, analpram), but after a couple weeks of no progress she gave me the nitro ointment.
I don't think it's as bad as it could be, because I don't seem to have much of the lingering pain & spasms other posters here talk about. I do however have absolutely atrocious pain with every bm and the fear and stress is starting to take over my life. My gastroenterologist said that she'd refer to me a CRS for botox if things didn't improve. I'm trying to decide if I want to wait another week, or if I should be booking an appt. ASAP. Things seem to be getting a tiny bit better, so I just don't know...
Anyway I look forward to meeting all of you - I'm open to any and all advice.
nycanon
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: New here and entering chronic-land....

Postby Elphie » 09 Mar 2011, 22:19

If I could go back a year when mine started I would get right on it! There is so much more of life to miss if it gets out of hand! I kept telling myself it felt a little better but I've realized I've just learned to manage it better with constant vigilance. It's still there every day without fail...
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Bumbutt » 10 Mar 2011, 00:36

Hi nycanon, and sorry we all have to be here too! Hopefully you'll get some good advice here, and some comfort knowing you aren't alone. You'll find some posts about botox probably helpful too - it seems to work for some and not for others. I guess you don't know until you try it...
In any case, keep using the nitro... and keep it up with the baths. One thing you might consider, if you have a lot of pain during BMs, is to switch your Colace to Movicol/Miralax. A lot of people have had more success with that, including me.
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby StevePain » 10 Mar 2011, 15:32

Hi and welcome to the board nc..
Enjoy your stay and don't be afraid to ask questions, we're all here to help and give advice, this is the best support group on the www.
Best wishes ~ Steve Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby nycanon » 10 Mar 2011, 19:42

Thanks for the welcome!
nycanon
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2