3 1/2 weeks out from LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

3 1/2 weeks out from LIS

Postby Bambi » 14 Mar 2011, 16:28

Just checking in to ask for reassurance again. You all are really good hand-holders! So it will be a month this next Thursday (St. Pat's Day). Do those of you who are LIS and skin tag removal vets remember how you were doing around this time? I keep expecting a sudden "a-hah" moment when everything is rosy completely. I actually know I am doing pretty well. That said, I am still surprised by the slowness of the skin tag site in going away. I have a stretchy, irritated feeling still there and that is the main site of any pain I have with BMs (which is actually pretty minimal- I just still have so much anxiety over going because I anticipate that it could be bad).
Have others found that the skin tag site seemed to take longer to heal than you thought? My incision site is pretty calm now- it has been several days since I had any sensation there really at all. And no bleeding.
Thanks
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: 3 1/2 weeks out from LIS

Postby Bambi » 14 Mar 2011, 16:31

I also am realizing I probably need to reduce my Miralax. When I have 5 fruits and veggies during the day and take my 2 1/2 teaspoons, it seems I have fairly loose BMs that today just about caused me to have a problem (almost- not quite- but I had to stop and run in a fast food place on the way home!). Anyway- I am just scared to reduce it- I don't want that setback from a too firm experience either. So I think I will go down to 2 1/4, then 2 after a couple of days at each. Such a science!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby alpinestrawberry » 15 Mar 2011, 06:53

That's great that you're doing so well! I imagine with skin tag removal, it's going to take quite a bit longer because of the raw area having to grow new skin. I don't know if I'll be having mine removed, but I don't think so. Mine doesn't bother me and it's pretty small...funny how we're all different. My original fissure @ 12:00 never even grew one!
I agree you should go really slow if you reduce the Miralax. No point in hurting yourself now when it's so easy to keep it from happening with Miralax. Or just take extra on days when you know you didn't eat as well, and less when you've had more fruits/veggies.
Hooray for a good outcome!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby sphinctersaurus » 15 Mar 2011, 15:15

Hey Bambi,
My skin tag site hasn't fully closed yet either. I'm at 5 weeks post op on Thursday! I'm still getting chaffing and pain during BMs from the area. Actually ... It's quite tricky for me to tell exactly where pain is coming from during BMs. It seems to be in a different place every time I go. It's good that your incision site has settled. Mine hasn't calmed down fully yet. That brings me to the whole Movicol/Miralax issue ...
A little over a week ago I deceided that enough was. enough. I was having 3 or sometimes 4 BMs a day. They were all soft, and while that number was fine before surgery, it definately hasn't been fine since surgery ... So, I've been reducing the Movicol. Much to my surprise, I have LESS pain with a slightly more formed stool! I've also cut the number of BMs a day down to 2 per day. Sometimes it's 1, but usually 2. I had to reduce the amount of fibre I was eating to achieve this though, because I was eating A LOT of fibre.
I was having so many problems with retears that I just had to try something. I didn't really have too much to lose, as things weren't going well anyway. I know I'm not out of the woods yet ... It has only been just over a week since it tore last, but I'm hoping that the changes I've made will make for a positive change of direction in my healing.
You should be fine if you make the changes slowly.
:D
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Bambi » 15 Mar 2011, 17:33

Hey saurus, I'm glad to hear you are finding something that is helping. The last couple of days my BMs have been really soft and so far today I'm up to 3. So I am looking forward to this gradual reduction. I have thought about adding a fiber supplement back in to increase the bulkiness so maybe I would go more all at one time. Sometimes I think like you are- that I'm already getting more fiber through my eating than my body can really handle. I may cut down from 5 fruits and veggies to just 4 after a day or so of the Miralax reduction. Today I had very little if any pain with the first two BMs, but the third one - there was just a slight pinchy feeling around the skin tag site- almost like the skin there is really tight and dry and it feels like it is trying to split open. I think that is more in my mind than reality- I was trying to explain that fear to my husband but I don't think he really realizes how traumatized everyone gets with this. He knows I tend to over-react to getting hurt anyway (which is actually true). But as we all know, this really plays havoc with our minds.
Hope your changes continue to help. Keep us posted! I'm right behind you!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist