Should I try Benefiber as I am reducing the Miralax?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Should I try Benefiber as I am reducing the Miralax?

Postby Bambi » 19 Mar 2011, 11:53

Yes the Miralax works well but I am getting frustrated with it. It may not be the real reason for my issues, but I wonder. I have been reducing it very gradually. I had actually gotten down to 1 3/4 teaspoons at bedtime, but last night I couldn't remember and thought I was still on 2 1/4 (I have been pretty good about writing these things down, but forget sometimes). Yesterday, I still had 3 BMs- the second one had some kind of crazy cramp like feeling at the incision site. The third one in the evening was quite depressing as it felt like old fissure pain. It was not firm, a little more formed but still quite soft. No blood though! That was a relief. I did have some blackberries yesterday AM and spotted a seed on the TP, which freaked me out. Somehow I wasn't thinking about those little seeds in there. Anyway- Today I have already had 2 BMs, my initial get out of bed and go directly to bathroom one and my 2 hours after breakfast one. Fairly pain free, but the skin tag area is still irritated. If I move the wrong way, it feels overly stretched and like it is pulling open. I really would like to reduce this frequency of BMs, expecailly as I aim toward my end of April and mid may trips. Just using baby wipes does not seem to do a good enough cleanup job "on the road" and I feel like it will ruin my day if I have to go and can't wash off. I also just seem to have constant levels of gassiness that are more annoying now than pre-LIS because I'm never quite sure of what will happen and if I try to hold it in, the pressure causes some mild discomfort (or up to a week or so again, some pain). I am considering adding Benefiber in as I phase Miralax out. I don't want to screw anything up as I am already freaked out about that fissure like feeling yesterday and the fact that my skin tag area has still been inflamed. I read somewhere that some found that firming up the stools slightly at about 1 month out actually helped things in the pain department and reduced the leakage which I wonder if that is irritating the skin tag wound. Any thoughts? If I add it in, I would probably go down to 2 teaspoons Miralax and just 1 teaspoon Benfiber in the evenings and then try to get down to 1 teaspoon Miralax (my pre LIS level). I generally just don't feel very well lately and feel very insecure about leaving the house and really rather depressed. Miralax did make me feel odd in the beginning and I wonder if it is contributing to some of my gassiness, fatigue, depression...?
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: Should I try Benefiber as I am reducing the Miralax?

Postby Cagirl » 23 Mar 2011, 21:28

Bambi, I felt the same way. I was terrified to discontinue the Miralax and had read here I believe from Steve, that the Miralax was causing some very mild incontinence. I had no choice one day but to go cold turkey from the Miralax due to either the stomach flu or an IBS tirade. And I haven't looked back. I'm taking Benefiber now, 2.5 teaspoons at night only and eating fiber during the day and am doing just fine so far. Knock on wood. I do still have an eensie weensie bit of blood every couple of days and I have no idea why, but my gas has been reduced significantly (although sadly still have some in the evenings) but *no more leakage* is the main part. I'm soooo thrilled to have rid myself of that and I'm sure Miralax was to blame.
But I do think switching over is very individual depending on your situation. I don't have a bad diet, eat enough fiber and whole grains, very minimal junk and very minimal meat if those make a difference.
Good luck!
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9