A little bit of a setback at 8 1/2 weeks

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

A little bit of a setback at 8 1/2 weeks

Postby Bambi » 17 Apr 2011, 16:04

So things have been going pretty well. This last week in particular, I have been feeling pretty hopeful that I had turned a corner. I had to stop Miralax a couple of weeks ago because no matter how small the amount I was taking, I had several watery stools a day and they were pretty urgent, which was impacting my mind and my life too much. It seemed like it took a while for that to get out of my system. I was still having 3-4 soft formed stools a day and some days (this last Tuesday) where I suddenly had a lot of gas and 5 watery stools. Then Wednesday, I had just one loose stool in the morning. It was a little scary to not have any more during that day (although pleasant as well!). Then on Thursday, I started having these soft, yet rather dry, sticky (too much information I know!) stools. We were up at our cabin and I thought I was drinking the same amount of water. However, the morning we left (yesterday) I realized the glasses up there are smaller than I thought! I also got a prescription for ativan from my Dr. ( I have had a lot of anxiety and my husband's surgery tomorrow is also heavily on my mind). Long story short, I had Thursday, Friday or the firmer poops- still 2 or 3 a day. Then last night I had to work to get one small piece out at bedtime. That should have been my clue to take a stool softener or something but I've been so glad to try to get those out of my system and not have the constant feeling like I need a bathroom immediately. Anyway- woke up at 3:30 and spent about 40 minutes in the bathroom - trying not to push too hard, but it was work. Got up and soaked, took a Colace and water and then stayed up on the heating pad. Now all day I've had the horrible gas from the stool softener and when I did go again this afternoon, the incision site had some pain. I haven't had any pain with BMs for a month yesterday, so this was discouraging.
Just needed to vent- I am scared to death I have caused this huge setback and I really need to be the caretaker now and get my head "out of my own a...). I want to take an Ativan but I'm scared it has caused some of the firmer stools. I hesitate to call this constipation since I still go multiple times a day- it just is not easy to get it out . This afternoon was soft and loose after the first push.
I really need to stop whining now!
Bambi :roll:
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: A little bit of a setback at 8 1/2 weeks

Postby ss616 » 17 Apr 2011, 16:54

Magnesium and water.
ss616
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby Deleted User 579 » 17 Apr 2011, 17:20

Hi Bambi - I'm so sorry to hear about your difficulties! Ever since I started having butt problems, my digestive system has been completely out of whack and I often have loose BMs now. I completely understand how the urgent ones can make it very difficult to lead a normal life - they cause so much anxiety! But I don't think that you've had an actual set-back. Reading through the posts, I've seen lots of people describe some incision-site pain even up to a year after surgery, depending on how BMs were going. That doesn't seem to be a set-back so much as the butt being a bit unhappy. Apparently it can take a year to two before the butt stops complaining about every little thing. So please try not to worry - I know ... easier said than done, especially with your husband's health condition too. I'm really feeling for you! Image
I find it very hard to achieve the ideal stool - formed stool (even the soft stuff) feels too big, yet loose stool can burn on the way out! (I haven't had surgery ... yet!) One thing that helps me achieve the soft/fluffy, not completely formed, but not watery stool is a lot of soluable fiber - like squash, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, bananas and peas. I stay away from a lot of insoluable fiber (fruit, leafy veggies, bran, etc.). I just have a little bit of that stuff, and when I do, I make sure that I eat it along with the soluable too. I find bananas especially good because, as long as they are ripe, they can also have a very mild laxative effect, yet still help to bulk things up (unripe ones can be constipating though). You may know all this already, but I thought I'd share what works for me.
I am currently struggling with ointments and I am thinking I really need the surgery. But, because I tend to have loose BMs I'm also worried that the surgery might be a bad idea for me. Are you happy that you had the surgery? Do you have any issues with continence? I'm so sorry you're going through this, but I'm really sure that your incision site is okay.
I will be thinking of you and your husband tomorrow and sending all my best healing wishes your way! Image
Last edited by Deleted User 579 on 17 Apr 2011, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
Deleted User 579

Postby Bambi » 17 Apr 2011, 17:58

Hi guys- thanks for the input and support, as usual! Somehow, it seems like I have a meltdown of sorts about once a week where I get scared.
I did try magnesium at one point and stopped it because it seemed to be causing me difficulties. However, I have to say that when I was taking it, I was also taking other things too- flax oil for one- and it might be worth trying again. I know it works for a lot of people- and if I'm remembering correctly it can help calm people a bit (I could use that!). I will probably wait a day or so before trying it so if it causes too many BMs or too loose, I won't be hanging out at the hospital but will be home.
Hopetoheal- I am very glad I had the surgery. I do not think I would have healed otherwise. I was always the one carrying around immodium and then suddenly a couple of years ago my body has become so confusing. I have not had what I would call incontinence at all-in spite of having several days where I had very watery stools. I had one close call, but that was at only 3 weeks post surgery and I ate out with a friend and had things that in the past would have caused loose stools. I don't know about you, but when I eat out with people and talk and all, I don't know if I don't chew as well or if my little bit of social anxiety kicks in some irritable bowel stuff or what, but that's when historically I would have issues.
I have found it tricky to manage, but no trickier than before the surgery. I do think you are probably right that I didn't really cause a huge setback. However, presurgery, I would have had bleeding and pain from the fissure and several days of it being worse again, even though it had become tolerable. I do tell myself now that whatever happens down there, it has a much higher probability of healing since the surgery changed my very tight muscle and even if something happens, it probably won't be as bad or take as long to get over.
Yes, yes I would do it again and if you have a tendency to loose stools, you may just need to adjust things while you are taking pain meds and then after. I appreciated your talking about what helps you foodwise. I sometimes think my body can't handle certain things as well. And the banana thing has always been confusing- so ripe ones are ok but if not, they can constipate? I may go back to including bananas again!
Thanks again for easing my troubled mind.
Bambi
P.S. We have to be at the hospital at 6 AM tomorrow- it is an outpatient procedure for my husband so we should be home mid afternoon at least. Last time he had to come home with a catheter in and had some pain. I have found a similar site for bladder cancer (trying to find one as good as this one!) and have gotten some ideas of what others tried for bladder spasms. I'm off to make my list of questions for his Dr. He will just "wing it" but I want to make sure I ask her what he should and shouldn't be doing and for how long and when to call, etc....
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 17 Apr 2011, 18:33

Bambi,
When I started taking Benefiber at night was the turning point of improvement of not having to worry about loose stools. You might try that. I'm not sure if you are already taking Benefiber or not.
I'll be sure to ask Dwight to add your husband in his prayers, and I'm sure all of the anxiety you are feeling about his situation is adding to your digestive woes. The mind and body connection is very powerful!! Hoping the best for you and your husband tomorrow for the procedure!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Elphie » 17 Apr 2011, 18:51

I will b thinking of u tomorrow, Bambi, I hope all goes well and that your husband isn't in too much pain afterwards. I really think a positive attitude can make a difference, you will get through this together and if you need to vent about anything this is the safest place I've found. Does he know all of us AF people r pulling for him? Good luck tomorrow to both of you and I hope your " one step back" is just that and you continue on your healing path!
11 days to go!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby alpinestrawberry » 17 Apr 2011, 21:18

Bambi, I agree that it's probably not an actual setback if you just have incision-site soreness. I've been having that too; I realize I'm not as far along as you are recovery wize, but there were several days where I didn't have any pain at all. But now I've been having firmer BM's, I guess thanks to diet and weaning off Miralax, and I've had to push to get them out a time or two as well. Then, I have my moment of terror--will there be blood when I wipe? But there hasn't been any, knock on wood.
I don't know about you, but I'm willing to accept a little incision pain; however, a return of an actual fissure would be a different story and I know I'd freak out.
You and your husband are in my thoughts, and I wish him the best with his surgery! I'm so glad that it's outpatient and he'll be able to recover with the comforts of home. Rest assured you can vent anything you need to here, we're always willing to listen Image Please, keep us updated!
Hope, I know what you mean by any formed stool feels too big...I had that before sugery too. Actually the muscle was so tight it did make my stools narrow. They've been much more normally sized since the surgery. That's a lot of info, I know, but I only mention it because narrow stools are one of those weird fissure symptoms that not a lot of people talk about. Having diarrhea was actually great for me before surgery, because I knew it wouldn't tear the fissure.
Elphie, I'm thinking of you too!!! Throw yourself a party when that surgery is over!!!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Bambi » 17 Apr 2011, 21:51

Oh yes- the true moment of truth for sure- will there be blood? And before LIS there would have been. Reminds me of that movie from a few years ago "There Will Be Blood"- not about anal fissures, but it couldv'e been!
Of course after dinner, I had to go again and now it was hurting afterwards on the fissure side- just to mess with my head and all! I agree if it is just incision site pain, it isn't nearly so scary!
Bambi
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 18 Apr 2011, 13:43

Hi Bambi – just checking in to see how you are. I really hope your husband’s dr’s appointment went as well as it could and that he is not in too much pain. Please let us know how your husband is doing and how you are too. We are here for you. Image
Thank you so much for the reassurance – my digestive system has been in such an uproar since all this started, I’m really beginning to think that the pain and anxiety are contributing to my BM issues. I have read that ripe bananas are better to get things going, while unripe bananas can bind you up, so I’ve been experimenting with bananas. So far, that seems to be the case for me.
Alpine – you are right about the thin stools. I have them too! Unfortunately, diarrhea doesn’t bring relief for me ... it just BURNS!! Image
You are so close now, Elphie! I’m thinking about you too!
I really hope that very soon we can all say that we and our loved ones are healthy, pain-free and happy
Deleted User 579

Postby Bambi » 18 Apr 2011, 14:13

Hey hope- Thanks for wondering about us. I wish I could say we were both having a wonderful day, but that wouldn't really be true. I'll briefly recap me and then post about my husband on "Off Topic". We got up really early this morning (me especially) so I could see how my morning BM or BMS would go. My husband had to be at the surgery center at 6 and we live about 20 minutes away. I had a BM that was formed but not very much and then had breakfast and had a much more complete one occur. With the first one, I didn't have any sensation at all. With the second, more loose one, I definitely felt some mild pain at the incision site. When running around hospital complex trying to get his prescriptions filled (really a good thing for me- went over the first time to find they weren't open yet and made it back in time to talk to the Dr.) Anyway- I had this achy, painy feeling on the incision side and some irritation where the fissure/skin tag was. It was making me nervous but I was just trying to ignore it. I also have my classic hurting tummy with lots of gas that seems to happen now whenever I take anything for softening! I think I am going to go make some ginger tea and see if I can get rid of that. I just soaked and then put some ointment on. I'm trying to make sure I'm drinking enough today and taking a few minutes when he is more comfortable or sleeping to soak. It is not helping my state of mind and I will really be relieved in a few days if this hurting on the incision side and the irritation outside goes away!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist