Diltiazem and Breastfeeding

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Diltiazem and Breastfeeding

Postby Bernie » 19 Apr 2011, 10:01

Does anyone know if it is safe to use this ointment (2%) and be breastfeeding?
I don't think BFing specifically came up when I saw the consultant last week (though he knows I have a 7mo). I got the medication today, dutifully read the accompanying leaflet, and as usual suggests you shouldn't take if BFing. My usual go-to website about meds and breastfeeding doesn't seem to have diltiazem listed, and I've contacted the hospital and the secretary said nobody is there until tomorrow. I've done a google search which suggests I shouldn't use it (or give up BFing) because it can freely pass into milk and it's unknown the impact on the baby.
Seems like I'll be sticking to the rectogesic & headaches for a while.
Bernie
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Diltiazem and Breastfeeding

Postby Soreguy » 19 Apr 2011, 11:12

It does pass through breast milk although is considered compatible with breastfeeding except by the manufacturer.
http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=diltiazem+breastfeeding
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby New mum » 19 Apr 2011, 20:23

Bernie,
I not not to sure about diltiazem, i know my doc said that rectogesic was my safest bet when breastfeeding, which still is not 100% safe. but my doc called around all the research labs and they said to only use small amounts and i should be right. Maybe you could call you doc back and ask them to call around. also you could call the chemist and see what thye say.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Bernie » 20 Apr 2011, 13:53

I have rectogesic, but am still getting headaches, which is why this has been prescribed. I phoned the hospital yesterday, and though I was told someone would contact me today, they haven't phoned yet.
Saying that, I did also contact The Breastfeeding Network and I got this reply:
I am the pharmacist providing information on the safety of drugs in breastmilk and your email was forwarded to me.

We dont have any studies on the amount of diltiazem which passes into milk via anoheal. We do know that the tablets of this drug are safe and that an alternative drug for anal fissures (glyceryl trinitrate) doesnt cause problems for breastfed babies. So putting these two facts together I think it is very unlikely to affect your baby. You may notice some hot flushes and palpitations yourself.

All patient information leaflets tend to say dont use as manufacturers are not required to take responsibility - as explained here http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/patient-information-leaflets.html

So, I think I will start using it tonight (until/unless the consultant gets back to me and says otherwise).
Bernie
Salt Bather

Topics: 10