Update from surgery 4/6/11

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Update from surgery 4/6/11

Postby garwha » 25 Apr 2011, 16:19

Just giving an update, mainly for those thinking of having a fissurectomy. My surgery was on 4/6. Today marks 19 days.
The first several days were the worst days of my life. Having said that I did have 3 procedures at the same time. I had a fissurectomy (LIS), sphicterctomy, and a hemorrhoidectomy all at the same time. The night of the surgery was horrific. I felt like I had to have a bm all night. I could not produce one. Later in the night, I felt like I had to urinate. I couldn't. This night was the first night that I can remember ever crying in pain as an adult. No amount of Vicodin could touch the pain. I stayed on a strict schedule with it as the doctor had suggested. He said trying to use Vicodin to catch up to the pain was nearly impossible.
The next few days were a blur. The pain stayed in the range of 8 to 10 on a 10 point scale. As mentioned in a previous post, I actually prayed for death on more than one occasion. The pain from having a bowel movement was as if someone were pouring acid in my wounds. I would scream in pain on the toilet. Move to the bath. Gag, moan and cry as the hot water was trying to sooth the pain.
My first check up was at day number 7. Just the thought of the doc taking a peak had me sweating in fear. Fortunately, he did not prod around. He only looked aesthetically to check for infection. He found no infection. He said that everything was healing according to schedule. He wrote me off of work for another week.
For the next 12 days, the pain was intermittent. I would wake up feeling great until I had to use the bathroom. Every time that I would have to go, the spasms would start. Generally, the spasms would not subside until I had slept for a few hours. Of course, most of you know that getting to sleep with spasms is much harder than it sounds. So the pain could last several hours.
Yesterday was Easter. I used a riding mower, sat in a hot tub for a half hour and did not use the bathroom. Yesterday was an amazing day. No pain at all. Maybe mild discomfort for a few minutes at a time.
Today I went back to work. Of course, the first thing that hits me upon arrival is the need to use the restroom. It was on like donkey kong. I spent the better part of an hour in and out of the bathroom. My pain level is exactly a 10. The pain was so bad that I thought I would pass out. Fortunately I had a follow up with my doctor this afternoon. I had a thorough evaluation. He said that everything is healing very well. He asked how I have been feeling. I let him know. He has prescribed my a muscle relaxer for the spasms. Hopefully it will do the trick.
I asked my wife if she thinks all of this was worth it. She reminded me of the daily pain that I was having before the surgeries. I guess the pain is so different now, that I do not remember it being this bad. But, I know that it was. It was just different.
Looking back over the last 19 days, it has not been worth it. Looking over the next 30 years, it will be worth it. The doctor told me today that I could be looking at another few weeks of recovery. Does that suck? Yes it does. However, knowing that one day I will be pain free keeps me going.
I will continue to post updates, especially after I am able to try the muscle relaxers.
My whole point in posting this is to re-assure those who are considering whether or not to have the surgeries. There are a lot of horror stories. I have many, but think of the freedom later in life. It is hard for many. It is less hard for some. Stay positive as much as possible. I am sure it gets better.
garwha
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Update from surgery 4/6/11

Postby Deleted User 579 » 25 Apr 2011, 16:55

Wow garwah! You have been through so much! I've heard from many, many sources that a hemorrhoidectomy is the worst surgery there is - and dor you a fissurectomy and LIS on top of it! As far as I'm concerned you've earned the right to howl as much as you want, as loud as you want. I'm so impressed by your ability to keep all this in perspective - your right that this will pay off in the long run. Your recovery might be longer than others here, but at the end of it all, you will laugh and have fun again. Just keep reminding yourself that you are healing and that all this will get better! Thanks for the update and for sharing your experiences. You are such a strong person - you will get through this!
Deleted User 579

Postby garwha » 04 May 2011, 22:16

Today marked the 4 week point. Everything is healing well. I have a little pain every day, but only after using the restroom. I have started to remember in detail the pain I had before the surgeries. I used to stand to eat, shift in my seat in pain while driving, I had a severe phobia of having to use the restroom in public places. Life is sooooo much better since the surgery. This forum has been a great release. It has been awesome being able to cry about the pain from surgery. Every day is a bit better now. I highly recommend going through with any surgery that is needed. It isn't easy, but very few things of value are in life. Thanks for the outlet. I am not going anywhere, but I did want to voice my appreciation. :D :D
garwha
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Deleted User 579 » 05 May 2011, 09:34

Congratulations garwha!! Image
Thanks so much for the update. It is always great to read success stories. I am so happy that you have your life back. Soon even the BM discomfort will be gone. You healed remarkably well in a relatively short time, considering what you went through (I know it certainly didn't feel like a short time!). Awesome! With everything you went through, you definitely deserve to enjoy a wonderful summer :)
Deleted User 579

Postby Elphie » 05 May 2011, 10:13

I'm happy for you that you are doing better! I remember your first post-op post and I felt so bad for you! I'm one of the lucky ones, simple LIS and east recovery but I was fully prepared( I thought) for agony during recovery. First few days were tough but my spasms were gone. Just like that. If I had to do it again I would. I remember standing to eat and the constant and dangerous squirming in the car too... That's why I'm not out weeding or planting right now. After AF, your willingness to take risks with your digestive system is pretty much gone! I don't know if I'll ever have the guts to eat handfuls of popcorn again but small price to pay I say! Again, Garwha, I'm happy it's getting better for you, maybe in time we'll be able to put this all behind us and go on like we did before AF... Might take awhile tho! Lol! Thanks for the update, when I joined this forum I was so grateful for the stories and the updates, now I understand why ppl do it, I hope we all have happy endings sooner rather than later...
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby alpinestrawberry » 05 May 2011, 11:58

Garwha,
You've been through a lot, to say the least. I will never forget your hilarious story, though, good for you being able to laugh while you were in so much pain!
You're absolutely right about it being hard but worth it in the end (although I just had LIS so it was nowhere near as hard as what you went through). Whatever the level of pain, though, it's a tradeoff between a lifetime of pain or just a few days/weeks and then you heal.
Glad you're getting better!!!!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17