Miralax question

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Miralax question

Postby Deedee62 » 12 May 2011, 13:09

I am using 1 capful of Miralax, 1x daily. I originally started out with just Metamucil & stool softeners, but the CRS added Miralax.
I seem to do really good for the first few weeks when I start something more, but now I am starting to bind up again. I don't want to go overboard with Miralax, but I don't want to get constipated or have hard stools.
Should I up it?
Dee
Deedee62
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Re: Miralax question

Postby Savaici » 12 May 2011, 17:14

I am going to start Miralax, but also take my Milk of Magnesia. Right now I take 1/4 of a Peri-Colace tablet and just over a quarter cap measure of MOM nightly. It is often hit or miss for me, as if I drink too much water it seems to constipate me, so I have about five small glasses in a day. I know that MOM and Miralax work in different ways, one bringing water into the stools, the Miralax, the other working to get it through the intestines. I have done a search on here for Miralax posts, and it really is so different for different people, but I hope someone who is using it might give you their opinion, Dee.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby cherylk » 12 May 2011, 17:33

Dee,
In my opinion you should increase your dose of Miralax if you feel you need more. I take mine twice daily, but it took me a very long while to get the right amount for me. I still sometimes have to adjust a bit. That is one thing that is nice about Miralax--you can adjust the dose as needed.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby sidra1968 » 12 May 2011, 18:04

I take 2 capfuls right now as 1 wasn't doing it anymore after 1 1/2 years (but I'm fairly tall)..anyway, it's a godsend and very safe from all I've heard.
p.s. Hi Cheryl, I just got back from Machu Picchu!
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Elphie » 12 May 2011, 18:14

I take half a dose with metamucil before dinner, then again before bed. While using pain meds I took an extra 1/2 dose. When I first started it took awhile for me to find the right time and dose for me but this works best and I only have 2 BMs in the morning half hour apart.
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby cherylk » 12 May 2011, 19:03

Elphie,
We take about the same amount although I take my first dose of Miralax mid-afternoon and the second one at bedtime!
Sidra,
I still you are still the "stay at home" type! Image Where in the world is Machu Pichu? I'm guessing South America? Glad that you are feeling fine and can do so much traveling!! Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby sidra1968 » 13 May 2011, 18:46

Yep, Peru. Here's a link...Machu Picchu is the losy city of the Incas, very beautiful.
http://amypattisperuvianexpedition.shutterfly.com/
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 17 May 2011, 23:19

I take one capful (17 grams) but sometimes adjust it up or down depending on what I ate during the day. I almost never go below half a capful or 1.5 capfuls though.
If you're using Metamucil, stool softners (what kind?), plus Miralax, however, then I wonder if you might be past the point of diminishing returns as far as combining approaches is concerned. That is, I wonder if you might be better off settling on a higher dose of just one that works. That's probably what I'd try ... everyone is different, though, so it'll take a bit of trial and error to find the "magic combo" for you personally.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45