One week update

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

One week update

Postby Deleted User 579 » 17 May 2011, 13:06

Well, it’s been one week since my LIS and I believe I can say that things are improving. I wake up with a bit of pain - mostly, I think, from where one of the skin tags was removed, but it’s hard to tell, since pain radiates. I’m still having some spasms after BMs, but they are not as bad as pre-LIS (KOW!). BMs themselves aren’t as bad either. There is still a bit of pain, especially at the fissure site, but I don't feel like I'm passing a basketball anymore. I have been using a turkey baster as a kind of bidet while going because stool stings a bit, and I use very wet 3-ply TP to dab my butt clean, and I shower after every BM - what a production! Image
The post-BM pain is a bit different too. The burning isn’t as bad, and most of the pain later on is localized to the fissure, and I think the incision site. A new sensation is a deeper bruised feeling that comes on a while after a BM – has anyone else had this?
No incontinence so far – not even gas, which I’m actually finding easier to pass. I’m not getting a lot of drainage either. Mostly it’s just blood seeping out. I’m not sure where that’s coming from – it could be from where the one skin tag was removed. Drainage is actually a bit difficult to measure because I’m not wearing any pants or underwear. I work from home, and I’m mostly on the couch, so I can get away with that (my husband is amused). Image

I’m lounging with a towel under me to catch any ‘seepage’, but there’s not enough to show up on the towel. I just notice it when I go to the bathroom. I want to keep the area well ventilated. So far I haven’t detected anything other than blood though, so it I think that’s ok.
The swelling has gone down quite a bit. I’ve mustered the courage to look a few times and the area looks a bit weird. It’s hard to describe, but the fissure itself looks differently shaped – more of a zig-zag than a straight line, like it was before. I don’t know what that means. Image
I was taking Robaxecet about an hour or so after BMs – especially if I have a second one, but I haven’t needed one today, so far. I’m hoping the residual spasms will settle down. And I’m wondering if there are still some milder spasms because I also had skin tags removed, which perhaps ‘shocked’ my butt a bit more than just an LIS would have?
Well, that’s it so far. I’m hoping that I’m on the road to recovery now … the wait-and-see phase is a bit psychologically draining, but I’m forcing myself to stay optimistic
I really hope everybody else is doing well and having a good day
Deleted User 579

Re: One week update

Postby frustrated » 17 May 2011, 17:00

Hope... I've been doing my business in a toilet seat sitz bath so that as the BM passes by my skin tag incision, the tag is a little soothed by the water.
It's a bit of a messy clean up, but I've mastered it.
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Deleted User 579 » 17 May 2011, 17:50

That's a great idea Frustrated! I have been tempted to just go in the tub, but usually things are over pretty quick these days (thank goodness!). I can't wait for the day when BM become more natural and easy - I'm holding out hope that I will learn to enjoy a good poop again!
Deleted User 579

Postby Elphie » 17 May 2011, 17:51

I used water too to help with stinging. I had that bruised feeling too for about a week, I still have spasms after morning BMs so I'm still taking that one robax a day too. I haven't felt my fissure at all since maybe day 6. I hope this means it's healing. I have my follow up is tomorrow. I'm glad it's better than before and I hope you get a different doc for follow up! For me everyday for two weeks there was a little improvement now I feel almost normal but still get the bruised feeling if I sit on something hard for too long. Continue to rest and take it easy, this will all be behind you soon! I also think it's good that word is spreading about Dr McKenna on here, what he did to you was criminal, glad you came through it ok!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Deleted User 579 » 17 May 2011, 18:02

Thanks so much Elphie - I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one with these lingering butt sensations! I'm so happy you are doing so well. I am definitely taking it very easy, reading True Grit right now and watching lots of tv, when not napping :)
I really hope your appointment tomorrow goes brilliantly - please let us know how it goes.
Deleted User 579

Postby alpinestrawberry » 18 May 2011, 07:28

Hey hope, frustrated, and Elphie!!! I'm so glad you guys are doing well. I haven't forgotten about anyone on these boards, even as I start to drift away.
I'm doing fine myself. The fear of having a BM is gone at least (that's huge, as you know)! There's a little soreness with my incision when I go but I haven't had another retear since the one I had a few weeks back. That healed up within two days. So I guess there's no reason to worry about getting another tear; if I do, it will most likely heal very fast.
I think I am starting to want to mentally block out the whole experience. However, I am really grateful to this forum and the people here for getting me through it, and I will never forget any of you who helped me!
I am so unbelievably busy right now! I just cleaned out my basement and had a big yard sale, and am in the process of donating the remnants of that to the school and the family in town that has the child with neuroblastoma--they are holding a sale as a fundraiser for medical expenses. My veggie garden is well on it's way, I'm making a big batch of compost and constructing a potato tower. School is ending in two more weeks--my youngest is going to kindergarten next year and the oldest is going to start playing the cello. Both of the younger ones are playing soccer. Next weekend is our big family camping weekend with all our friends; that's always a blast. My husband is attempting to open a microbrewery with friends, and he also changed jobs at work so he's busier and traveling more.
I realize all that is a bit off topic, but my point is--I couldn't have kept up with everything if I was still having butt problems. I would have been bobbing along feeling disengaged and sad while life passed me by. So there it is in a nutshell; if your butt is ruining your life it's time to show the mther4***er who's boss.
I am so over my butt. Image Image Image Image Image
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Deleted User 579 » 18 May 2011, 07:45

Yeah Alpine!!! Image
It sounds like you got your life back! I am so happy for you. It is really wonderful to hear that you are busy doing fun and fulfilling things with your life. I completely understand your desire to move past this whole ordeal and enjoy your kids' adventures and the wonderful summer coming at you. I hope you have a great camping trip and good luck on you hubby's business venture!
Thank you so much for all your support. I don't know how I would have kept my sanity without this forum. Image Image
Deleted User 579

Postby Elphie » 18 May 2011, 12:30

I'm so happy for you alpine! I'm still taking it easy but slowly getting back to life, it's good to know life waited for me! I feel almost normal, still a little stinging after morning BM, but I haven't felt that old burning in three weeks! I used to be tense and angry all the time so the mood is lighter in my house too. Have fun camping this weekend!
Hopetoheal, I can't believe how many new posters are going to the Rudd clinic! I asked my CRS today if he's heard about them and he said the Ottawa branch is fairly new so most GPs don't refer to them yet, he said he would never do LIS with a patient who is awake, frozen or not. But I'm glad that you r feeling better!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 18 May 2011, 14:02

It is strange how many people are posting about the Rudd right now. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised - getting to see a colorectal surgeon in southern ontario is more difficult than getting a private interview with the queen! I imagine that the clinic does so much business because many of us have no other option.
I just heard back from my GP today and he told me that the surgeons he contacted are not willing to do a follow-up because they didn't do the surgery. So there ya go. I have no choice but to go back to the Rudd Clinic. Can you believe that??? At least I'll be seeing a different surgeon. I'm going to look into getting an appointment with another clinic in Kitchener. Sheesh! So much for access to health care! Well ... that's my little rant for the day!
Otherwise, things are going ok. I had a scary morning - passed two hard BMs. The first one was quite hard and very thick too Image I bleed more than I have since the surgery, and I could feel the fissure area stretching uncomfortably, but I don't think I did any serious damage - at least I didn't feel that awful tearing sensation. And - here's the exciting part - no spasms afterward! I didn't need the robax or anything. Amazing! Things are even looking better down there. I'm still discharging some blood and a little bit of clear fluid, but the swelling is way down and the pain is pretty minor. I took my very first dose of Restoralax (a half-dose, actually) and I am drinking tons of water so that tomorrow's BM won't be quite so adventurous. I really don't want watery stools - they sting. Now the goal is achieving those wonderful fluffy stools that slip out nicely without making a fuss.
I think I'm starting to heal ... fingers crossed!
Deleted User 579

Postby Elphie » 19 May 2011, 08:07

I'm happy for you, hope! I know it's slow going but you're on the right path now despite how it all came down! I think you will get great help from the restoralax, just a note, walmart has the laxaday brand on rollback for $10 cheaper than restoralax right now in Ottawa, don't know if it's the same there but worth checking. Starting that was a turning point for me before LIS, there were no more blood filled bowls at least and the shards of glass BMs were gone too, unfortunately the burning persisted but I think it was healing some before LIS and doc said yesterday he could barely see it. I will continue with it indefinitely. I hope you continue to feel better everyday, and thank YOU for all your encouragement and support. I felt like a wimpy weakling when I found all of you and I've decided that we are all really STRONG, to live with AF everyday, some for YEARS! Hope you're having a good butt day!
Elphie
Fissureologist