Having LIS + Fissurectomy in two weeks.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Having LIS + Fissurectomy in two weeks.

Postby alpha » 21 May 2011, 09:53

Really? Is it really cool when men know about this???? Why is that if you don't mind me asking.
Anyway, I was still not sure on how to use these pad even after reading your post. Then I got the idea. I started to look for my wife's stuff. And tada!!!! I found one!!! Looks like this is a liner with wings on it.
After looking at the site you mentioned, I was wondering how to keep this pad on it's place. But now I know. It has sticky back on it!!!
I was briefly thinking that I could use my wife's pads then what if she comeback and finds out that her pads are missing in large quantity????? I won't have any proper answer to that if she ask other then telling the truth which I don't want to. So I will get some for myself. :D
alpha
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Deleted User 579 » 21 May 2011, 11:43

The mysteries of women's lives! yep - those adhesive materials were a major innovation! We used to have to safety-pin big bulky bunches of cloth to our undies!
I'm not sure why women think it's cool when men know about this stuff. I just know many women who think it's great. My theory is that menstruation has been so taboo and women made to feel embarrassed and degraded by it for so long, that it is really validating to have men accept and appreciate that we menstruate and that it isn't disgusting and it's nothing to be ashamed of.
I'm glad you figured out how to use the pads and liners - but be careful if you get your own supply. If your wife finds it, she may have a few questions!
Deleted User 579

Postby StevePain » 22 May 2011, 13:34

I had LIS and Fissurectomy 9 months ago and am still not 100%, I don't want to discourage you from having the procedure but my recovery has been sheer hell, maybe I'm in the minority of slow healers?
Anyhow, just be prepared for pain after the op, I've never heard of anyone having both these invasive procedures done with little or no pain post-op.
GL
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby alpha » 23 May 2011, 09:31

StevePain wrote:I had LIS and Fissurectomy 9 months ago and am still not 100%, I don't want to discourage you from having the procedure but my recovery has been sheer hell, maybe I'm in the minority of slow healers?
Anyhow, just be prepared for pain after the op, I've never heard of anyone having both these invasive procedures done with little or no pain post-op.
GL

Yeah I read your thread and that's what I am worried too. Maybe you (and I) are too old to see fast healing??? Young people heal their wound very fast but as you get older it takes a lot more time.
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby StevePain » 23 May 2011, 12:39

alpha wrote:Yeah I read your thread and that's what I am worried too. Maybe you (and I) are too old to see fast healing??? Young people heal their wound very fast but as you get older it takes a lot more time.

haha that made me laugh, but seriously, you could be right, age is most likely a factor in slow healing, I wish I was 20 years younger lol
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby happyass » 23 May 2011, 21:34

hi alpha,
do you mind if i ask where you are located? city/state? are you in the USA?
for the pads/liners/diapers, i bought an 18 pack of men's diapers and well, only used 3 but nothing ever soiled them so i stopped using them.
what i used for liners/pads, were 3x3 in gauzes that you can fold up and then place between your butt cheeks. some are 4x4 or smaller than 3x3. you can find them at CVS, walgreens, Target, etc.
after my surgery, the outpatient center gave me a whole bunch! almost lasted me about 3 weeks worth! LOL!
about your fissurectomy. why is the reason you are getting it?
yes, it seems like many on the board who went this route had challenges post-op.
i had a fissure that was chronic for over six years and i thought for sure i would have to have a fissurectomy. i asked my CRS why she wasn't going to do it and she said that she didn't believe in doing them. she said that she would clean the dead skin cells around the fissure but not cause any further injury to the site.
maybe you can get a second opinion.
i was very lucky in having a better than expected - for me - post surgery experience. if all surgeries could be like that, i would be super happy.
good luck on your surgery.
i am sure you will do great.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby rockpine » 24 May 2011, 21:56

Hi Alpha,
Good luck with your preparations for surgery. I had a hemerrhoidectomy, LIS, and a fistulotomy four weeks ago and I am doing pretty well in my recovery.
I did have pain post-op but that was manageable with the pain meds they give you and with allowing yourself enough time off to rest and relax. I can't honestly tell which procedure caused more pain since all three were done at once. Funny, I'm reading on this board that hemmie removal is supposed to be very painful, but all three of my surgeries in combination were nowhere near fissure pain!
I was too dizzy from the pain meds to be able to read after the surgery. Not until I got off them I was able to watch a movie or TV show through without falling asleep. I actually kind of enjoyed having the time to do absolutely nothing , sleep, and pamper myself. If you can get someone to check on you each day, cook/bring you food or keep you company that will help a lot. The last thing you'll want to do is cook or clean or walk downstairs to get yourself a glass of water in the middle of the night especially if you are a bit loopy from pain or medication. The iPad will be great entertainment during your recovery.
Maybe you can get a second opinion on the fissurectomy. My CRS had on my operating instructions that I was going to have a "fissurectomy and hemerrhoidectomy" and I was having anxiety from what I heard about the posts here about pain from a fissurectomy. Two days prior to surgery I asked him, "So, you're removing the fissure?". He said there was no reason too, he was going to do LIS, even though it said on the paperwork that I was going to have a fissurectomy. Maybe it was for insurance purposes? Maybe, like in my case, you should double-check with your CRS that it will in fact be a fissurectomy?
Before you get discharged, the nurses in the recovery room will probably give you a long maxi pad to use. The 4" x 4" square gauze pads were very helpful too, especially during the first week where there was more discharge and bleeding and I needed to change them more frequently. The longer, heavy maxis will give you better coverage in the butt area and will also give you a bit of padding to help protect and cushion the area.
I didn't have a problem with getting constipated from the pain meds. With Citrucel and MOM, I didn't have a prob with BMs. My first BM wasn't as bad as I had imagined.
Good luck with everything and keep us posted!
rockpine
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby alpha » 25 May 2011, 18:15

Thank you guys for all the good advices.
happyass, I live in Irvine, California.
I thought fissurectomy is to give it a better close of fissure so it reduces the chance of re-tore.
I was able to completely heal the fissure using verapamil ointment without surgery. But it quickly came back. So this time I am getting surgery because after surgery it will less likely to re-tore. Am I not knowing this right?
Anyway, I will check with CRS tomorrow if he is going to really perform fissurectomy.
Yeah I am kind a waiting for that rest time after surgery. Just stay home, watch movie, play with ipad etc....
I really need some serious rest time after all this anxieties I am having these days.
I just hope that there to not much pain after op.
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby alpha » 30 May 2011, 15:45

ok, I am having surgery in two days. But I have a problem...
Constipation.... I can't have constipation after surgery!!!
I am taking miralax daily but I am getting no urge.
I can strain to move bowel. But straining is a bad juju for fissure.
What should I do? I am so worried...
Should I strain to move bowel or wait until I get urge? I don't know how many days it will take until I get the urge and maybe by then I would get hard stool..
So what should I do???
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 30 May 2011, 17:15

Hi Alpha - I'm so sorry you are struggling! That's awful. How much Miralax are you taking? How much water are you drinking? What have you been eating? When was your last bowel movement?
It's commonly believed we should have one bowel movement per day, but that's actually not right. One every three days is still in the normal range. If you have fewer than one BM every three days, then we can talk constipation. Also, I would worry less about frequency of BMs and more about consistency. If you have one BM every two or three days, but that BM is nice and soft, you are fine.
I think you should avoid straining if at all possible. Perhaps you can increase your Miralax dose or try a different stool softener. I think you should contact your surgeon if you are having fewer than one BM every three days and/or if the stools are hard. They might be able to advise you about better stool softeners and/or enemas.
Drinking hot water can also help move the bowels too.
I really hope you have a good BM very soon!
Deleted User 579