Having LIS + Fissurectomy in two weeks.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Having LIS + Fissurectomy in two weeks.

Postby alpha » 30 May 2011, 17:28

hopetoheal,
my last bowel movement was 2 days ago. So I skipped yesterday and today I still had no urge in the morning so I had to push. The stool was normal. A lot of soft stool came out.
I take 1-1/2 dose of miralax and 1 or 2 doses of metamucil. (I am not sure if metamucil is helping me though..)
I usually go once every day mostly...
This is unbelievably stressing... I am losing my hair real fast....
alpha
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Deleted User 579 » 30 May 2011, 17:58

Hi Apha - the soft stool is a good sign. That means that constipation is unlikely because the stool hasn't sat in your colon long enough to dry out. The Miralax helps with that too, because it draws water from your intestines and colon to keep stools soft. I think you might also want to reduce or eliminate the Metamucil - that doesn't help everyone and can constipate some people (or at least slow things down), especially if you can't drink enough water to make it work properly (that was my experience). I recommend increasing your intake of insoluable fiber: fruit (except bananas - they can constipate ... and so can apple sauce) and veggies, like green beans, broccoli (but not too much because that can cause gas) and especially leafy greens like spinach (that will make me go every time!). Raw veggies are especially good. Avoid too many root veggies (potatoes, yams) because they are mostly soluable fiber - they are good, but they bulk the stool and that might slow things down a bit too much for you right now.
The real trick is water, water, water! Drink LOTS of fluid (not alcohol, coffee, tea or anything with caffineine) - juice and/or water.
Also, try some relaxation techniques - I've learned not to underestimate how much my anxiety affects my bowels. Really, I'm very serious. Relaxing is incredibly important for having good BMs. I learned that the hard way!
I hope these things work. If they don't you should contact your surgeon about getting some stool softeners they recommend. I hope you find relief soon! Image
Deleted User 579

Postby alpha » 30 May 2011, 18:14

Hopetoheal,
I guess i should have been more clear.
The problem is not hard stool.
As long as i take miralax and move bowel once every two days, the stool is soft.
The real problem is that i feel no urge.
Seems like stool is in the rectum and redy to come out, but i just feel no urge. Because i have no urge, i have to strain to move the bowel..
I am at a taoal loss at what to do now...
I dont want to postpone this surgery again... I am sick of waiting....
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 30 May 2011, 18:26

Yes - I have that experience too sometimes. It's really annoying! The good news is, this doesn't sound like constipation, per se. I think you should mention it to your surgeon, though. In my case I think a lot of the problem is a lack of exercise. If I move around more, the BM comes. I also found the insoluable fiber and squatting really helped me ... And lots of water! Also, I haven't had this problem as much since my LIS, so I also think that the spasms were making it hard for me to go.
Deleted User 579

Postby alpha » 31 May 2011, 00:55

Thanks. Hope verything gets better after surgery..
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 31 May 2011, 05:48

Hey Alpha - I was reading through some other threads and I saw that quite a few people experienced what you describe, and as I mentioned, I do too, but much less frequently now. It is really frustrating, but I don't think this problem is a good reason to cancel the surgery. I really do think that a lot of it has to do with the spasms and the pain and anxiety. BMs generally improved so much for me after the LIS, and things are getting better everyday (I'm three weeks out). I completely understand your concerns. I'm still getting over the BM anxiety, which, of course, can make BMs more difficult! It's a vicious cycle. Some people put themselves on an all-liquid diet for the first two days after surgery, and that seems to help them avoid constipation and/or slow-moving bowels. They only did this for a few days, though, because liquid BMs can be painful (as I well know!).
I really wish I could say something to make you feel better ... it's very important to go into this surgery and the recovery in a good state of mind. Please try to keep telling yourself that you're not alone with what you are experiencing and that many of us have had very good outcomes from the surgery - there is hope and you will get better!
Deleted User 579

Postby alpha » 31 May 2011, 08:36

Thank you hopetoheal.
Yeah, I really do hope my BMs gets better after surgery.
Another thing that I worry about is this abdominal bloating.
Did any one experienced this? I get this bloating everyday and seems like it's getting worse.(Specially for the last two days). The bloating goes away only when I sleep. (I can't sleep much these days anyway)
In fact, I am more worried about this constipation + bloating than this surgery. Fissure is easy to fix. You just need to go through some pain. But constipation is hard to fix because it's hard to identify the cause. Mine seems like typiacl IBS-C which has no cure... That is why I am worried. Even if they fix my fissure what am I gonna do with this constipation??? I am lost....
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby alpha » 31 May 2011, 09:26

Hum... I just learned that miralax could be the cause of bloating. And it seems like this bloating got worse since I started to take miralax indeed. Maybe I should switch to prune juice?
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 31 May 2011, 11:06

Yes, Miralax can cause bloating for some people, so that could very well be the source of your troubles. Certainly switch to prune juice if that's what helps you.
I hope it works for you!
Deleted User 579

Postby alpha » 01 Jun 2011, 11:08

ok, I stopped miralax and took prune juice instead.
I feel much better this morning. I don't if this is due to enema I did yesterday evening or due to quitting miralax. But I feel much much better today.
I am so so so happy now. The bloating until yesterday was horrible.... I hope miralax was the culprit and prune juice works well with me instead.
I am having the surgery this afternoon. Wish me luck!!!
alpha
Salt Bather