Here we go again!!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Here we go again!!!

Postby val » 29 May 2011, 11:44

Yes, it must be an awful decision for you to make. I don't think I would ever want to see the surgeon ever again if I were you! But then, I suppose he is better than waiting six months if you really needed to see someone. Do you have to be referred or is it self-referral? Could you get things rolling so that you have another surgeon in six months, but if you really really needed someone eg an emergency infection, then you saw your previous one as a last resort?
It's not my surgeon who is the problem - he's wonderful, it's just that I need him to do it free on our NHS, if I go private it would cost thousands for the same op. My husband has said that I can go private if I want to, so I am sooooo relieved - although also feel extremely guilty saddling us with a huge debt when I could get the same op done for free, especially as he is self-employed and work has been very quiet. What a hassle! :roll:
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby cherylk » 29 May 2011, 15:02

Val,
Just wanted to say hi. Cut sig pic!! Sorry to read about your current prob!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Deleted User 579 » 29 May 2011, 15:08

Yeah, Val, I can understand why you would feel bad about the money. But, on the other hand, if I'm not mistaken, fistulas get worse as time goes by and if they aren't treated promptly and properly, they can cause even more complications. So, if that's the case, then spending the money is actually a good investment. And, of course, our health is always worth it. We would do whatever it took to help our hubbies restore their health. I know what you're saying. I've been feeling very guilty about complicating my husband's life lately - but, then I think, I'd do at least as much for him. And it's likely I will one day!
I asked my GP to refer me to a different surgeon so that I would have an alternative to going back to the torture clinic, and only use that clinic for emergencies and the initial follow-up. Unfotunately, none of the surgeons he contacted were willing to see me because they didn't perform the surgery, and there's no other reason for a referral. Oh well. Right now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and doing everything I can to have a complication-free recovery. If I do detect an infection, though, I will go to the emergency dept at our local hospital for treatment, since they willl have a surgeon on call who will be able to help me. They don't make things easy!
I'm glad you have such a great surgeon. That makes such a difference! And I really hope you get your treatment plan arranged very soon. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 01 Jun 2011, 02:02

Hey Val,
I just wanted to say hi. I've heard a lot about you -- you're one of the "old timer" legends of this forum :) I'm sorry to read about your current circumstances.
Do you know roughly how long you will have to wait for your fistula surgery? Is it more on the order of 1 month or 6 months or a year? I'm in the States so I know nothing about the NHS (sorry).
How much would going private cost? If your husband has given you that option then please do keep it in your back pocket ... do what's best for your health. Your husband is giving you that option because he wants what's best for you, so please don't feel guilty about entertaining it. I would do the same for my wife, and would be upset if I found that she risked her health to save a few dollars, you know what I mean?
I've read some of your reeeeallly old posts and know you've been through a lot. I hope you get the dates in place to start beating this latest challenge very soon!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 01 Jun 2011, 07:47

Hi Val,
I second NG. Sorry you are still having butt problems and get past this soon! I think PaulsPain has a seton if I am remembering correctly....
I've read all of your old post and found them very helpful before having my LIS. All of you old timers left us with invaluable information on this horrible condition... I knew when I saw the poem at the top of the page~ when I found this this forum a year ago that I had finally found a place that knew exactly where I was coming from.

Postby Deleted User 579 » 01 Jun 2011, 12:09

That poem is so great - it makes me feel better everyday when I come here and read it.
How are you doing today, Val? I've been thinking about you and hoping you are okay.
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 01 Jun 2011, 12:18

Hi All,
I'm so glad that all our information was helpful - I think most of us old timers have gone because they have healed, which is wonderful! Image
Well, I decided to go private and the operation is on wednesday 15th june, so not long to wait. It will cost Ј2,700 - OMG!! Image I was told it is a high fistula - the other one I had was just a simple low one, so it is totally freaking me out - imagination overdrive, imagining all sorts of awful things! Image
Hi Hope, well, I think I'm terrified more than anything else!! The pain isn't any more or less, but the fear is off the scale LOL! How are you?
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 579 » 01 Jun 2011, 13:12

Val, I'm so happy you're going private and getting the surgery soon. That's great news. I know that the cost causes heart palpitations, but it is definitely money well spent!
I can imagine your anxiety levels must be through the roof! I hate it when my over-active imagination gets the best of me. When I got my fissure I was also having pretty serious digestive problems too and, being OCD, I did enough research to write a doctoral dissertation on digestive problems ... Of course, I diagnosed myself with every exotic, horrible disease known in the history of mankind. This, in turn, caused anxiety, which made my symptoms worse, which in turn convinced me that I had a terrible disease ...
I totally understand about anxiety! I still feel a bit silly about contributing so much to my own problems, but I sure learned to have a lot of respect for how much psychology is involved in health and illness!
I really feel for you Val. You got some really crappy news - a high fistula is a scary thing, without a doubt. But I have a really good feeling that this seton is going to do its job and you will heal from this. It may take a bit of time, but you will get through this and be healthy again! We are here to help you while you wait for your surgery day, and we will be here for you when you are recovering. Image
I'm doing pretty good, actually. Still really weak because I lost so much weight, but no pain.
I had some blood during this morning's BM, which got me down a bit, since I'm three weeks post-LIS. :( But I think that the blood came from the skin tag excision site, and I remembered people here saying how long it can take for skin tags to heal so I'm not so down about the blood anymore. This site is a godsend! I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't been able to benefit from so many people's experiences and wisdom. Image
I really hope you are able to pamper yourself - living with fear and anxiety is so exhausting! Hang in there! Soon you will be healing and things will get better.
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 01 Jun 2011, 14:51

Saying prayers for you Val. Hoping this procedure will go well and you have manageable pain. I researched the procedure online a little today. I can't imagine the anxiety you must be and have a right to be feeling, no doubt...
Just believe that this is going to work and you will be getting all of this infection out down there. I think you made a good decision going private and getting this taken care of as quickly as possible.
Take care and try not to let your mind go crazy. I did that with my LIS surgery and I swear what it did to my mind was worse than the surgery...

Postby Savaici » 01 Jun 2011, 17:07

Hi Val! I've just about memorised your little poem! So sweet and beautifully written. Sorry about the lousy fistula, but very good that you chose to go private. Have read your posts over time and they have helped me through some dark days when I have felt that I have been hit for six. Will be here for you, crossing fingers, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, along with all. Em
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222