I had my tags removed earlier today! Here's my experience:

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: I had my tags removed earlier today! Here's my experience:

Postby Savaici » 28 May 2011, 12:19

I totally sgree about not rubbing the area with anything. I use loo paper that i wet after having a poop, and just never rub ever. I have not had surgery, but just know keeping it clean, without soap, and 'mopping' wirh loo paper is the best. You will absolutely be clean that way. I am obsessive about being clean 'there' but everyone who i haveseen and all on here will tell you that gentle is the best way. Happy healing! Em
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby frustrated » 28 May 2011, 18:07

I am a little germaphobic and I feel like I am keeping it clean with the sitz baths and afterwards I jump in the tub. Sometimes I use the sitz for a few minute, empty it in the toilet, refill with fresh warm water, and sit again. Eventually all the cling ons come off.
I do the wet tp thing too when I am out of the house.
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Elphie » 28 May 2011, 21:39

I used a squirt bottle when I couldnt soak and I gently squeezed warm water, then dab dry with tp, over and over til clean. I also kept a wet baby washcloth in a baggie in my purse for emergency clean ups. I hope you start feeling better soon, it's a sensitive area so all the sensations down there are heightened, IMO.
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby bummer » 29 May 2011, 11:00

Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom because I really had no idea what I was getting myself into nor do I really know what I'm doing now!
Today is day 4.
Yesterday I was really miserable.
After reading of a few other's experiences I learned that pain meds make u more constipated so I decided to stop taking them yesterday. I still haven't had a BM!
The pain is dull but ever present and consistent.
This morning I sat on the sitz bath for 10 mins then jumped in the tub for like 45 MINUTES!!! It was actually relaxing. I played some relaxing music and closed my eyes. I still had the same pain but atleast my mind was at ease.
I took 3 collace and ate a fiber 1 pancake and now my stomach feels like its in knots! I know the BM is on its way! There will be a lot of it after not going for 4 days!I'm soo scared!
2 things make this ordeal really quite uncomfortable: My swollen anus and the blood that ooses from it! WHEN WILL THESE 2 THINGS GO AWAY!? When I expect the swelling to go down? What has been other's experience with tags and the time it takes for the swelling to go away??
Thanks for being there and reading guys :(
bummer
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Deleted User 579 » 29 May 2011, 15:18

Hi Bummer - it's really hard to say because everybody heals differently. In my case the swelling started to go down after the first week, and has been diminishing rapidly ever since (I'm 19 days post-p now). The bleeding stopped after the first week (KOW). Even so, the skin tag site is still not completely healed and still gets irritated easily. For some people here, the skin tag took 3-4 months to heal. A lot depends on the location of the skin tag and how well you heal. Some folks found a special cream that really helped (sufrexal, I think it's called) - but you can only get it in Mexico and other Latin American countries, I believe.
I'm really sorry you are suffering! As long as there is no infection, you are fine. Just be prepared for things to be pretty tender there for a good while. I'm sorry to say that, but I also don't want you to worry if you aren't healed up quickly, because that rarely happens with skin tags. Hang in there, though, the pain and swelling will diminish soon!
Deleted User 579

Postby bummer » 29 May 2011, 16:20

Thanks Hopetoheal Image That's encouraging to hear. I hope hope hope my healing process will be similar to yours.
After writing my last post I was feeling very down and in moderate pain. Soon after writing it I fell asleep. I guess I was exhausted with the situation. I woke up feeling a bit better. The pain was slightly eased.
I went downstairs ate and then quite naturally felt like I had to have a BM. In the moment, I wasn't scared or nervous for some reason. I think taking the nap and waking up feeling slightly better helped.
Well....I DID IT! I had my first BM post!!! It wasn't that painful! Image
I was planing to do it in the sitz bath like frustrated suggested but when the time came...I was totally unprepared! SO I just did it the normal way. It wasn't too hard and it wasn't really soft. Right in the middle. Unfortunately for not going in 4 days it was not a lot, so I know it wasn't comeplete but atleast I got some of it out. There was quite a lot of blood but that is to be expected of course. Right afterwards my natural instinct was to pull the tp to wipe and then I remembered what you all said. So quite awkwardly, I grabbed my sitz bath (while trying to stand over the toilet for the blood to drip) and filled it with warm water to sit in. Now I'm sitting in a poo/blood bath, typing to u all and feeling quite proud of myself! (This is the only place one can talk about poo in such detail and not get shunned. lol)
I've vowed to not look at my bum again until day 7. It really freaks me out but there is nothing I can do to change the appearance so unless something feels strange, I will not worry myself further by looking.
I drew a bath, I'm about to sit in it and watch a movie on my laptop.
Day 4, turned out to not be that bad of a day! Here's hoping day 5 will be even better Image
bummer
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 29 May 2011, 16:34

Congratulations on the BM, Bummer!
Don't sit in the poo too long, eh! :D One thing you might consider doing is having a quick shower after your bath, just to get the last of the particles off (that's what I do). I also pat my ass very gently with damp TP and then let the area air dry (I'm walking around with no pants!). I know it's scary to look, and you don't have to everyday, but you should check every other day or so, just to make sure nothing looks infected and there is no pus. So it's good that you'll take a look on day - just rememer to tell yourself to expect things to look alarming, but that as long as it doesn't look infected, then it looks good.
You're doing good - I'm glad you are feeling better after you nap.
I'm sure day 5 will be better!
Deleted User 579

Postby bummer » 30 May 2011, 15:05

hi 5 Hopetoheal! Image
Day 5 IS better than day 4!
My BM was more productive, very tiny bit of blood, sat directly on my bum for a few mins with no pain and the pain in general is minute!
I know I said I wouldn't look, but I snuck a peak at my bum anyway....it's still a swollem hot mess. Doesn't bother me though cuz it doesn't feel as bad as it looks!
I have to go in to work tomorrow. After tomorrow, I will be off for another 6 days.....course I am getting a root canal in 2 days. Aside for the fact that the dentist will be drilling a hole in my head, I think I will be okay to sit on my ass to let her do it! Image
bummer
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 30 May 2011, 17:06

That's great, Bummer! I'm so glad the BMs are getting better! I still had small amounts of blood into the second week, but then I stopped bleeding altogether. Being able to sit is a big step forward! When you say things are 'hot' down there, you don't mean like infection-hot? We don't want that! I'm still a wee bit swollen too, but not much anymore. Bambi and Elphie swear by frozen peas for pain and swelling, just for short periods gently pressed against that butt - I've tried it a few times too and it does help.
I hope that your return to work goes well, and that you are able to enjoy your 6-days off. And good luck with the root canal - wow! You're really going through a lot these days!
Keep healing! Soon this will be a distant memory :D
Deleted User 579

Postby bummer » 31 May 2011, 22:16

Hopetoheal,
When I say "hot mess" I mean its all swollen and not resembling a butt hole yet. But not infected.
I'm going to turn 30 in August and I'm kind of on a countdown with myself to enter my 30's having met a few personal goals. (professionally, physically, spiritually etc)
This is why I had tags removed last week and I have dental work to get on top of as well! The gyno and GP tell me I'm good to go. The dermatologist is helping me with my laser hair removal and I still have to see the ENT in 2 days(I'm a classical singer) for his throat/sinus cavity verdict! lol All things I needed and wanted to do for years but put off for one reason or another.
Day 6 was a piece of cake! I sat on my bum a lot today with no pain! I didn't take any stool softeners or eat a lot of fiber today for fear I would have to go during work since I need to wash off afterwards (bath etc). I didn't want to have the hassle of packing up an away bag just to use the bathroom. I'll probably pay for this tomorrow! I'm hoping missing one day's BM won't cause too much of a problem tomorrow! Bad idea huh?
Now that it is later in the night I'm not having pain but, it is not completely pain free to sit on my bum. There is a tiny pinch if I sit a certain way as if I am pulling at a stitch or something. I can't complain though 'cause I sat all day pain free today! I'm think tomorrow will be easier to sit all day and night if I so pleased.
Hopetoheal, what does your bum look like? I know you said it is still a bit swollen, but are you expecting it to go back to looking normal? I'm just curious what this will all look like in the end. Will it look normal or will it look like I still have tags just smaller? I tried to look up before and after pics of bum with tag excisions but I have been unable to find any.
Bummer
bummer
Fibre Addict