rectal pressure test????????????

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

rectal pressure test????????????

Postby New mum » 05 Jun 2011, 18:10

Hi as i am still having problems 7months out of my LIS my CRS has told me i need a Pressure test done to see how tight the muscle is and if i need a 2nd surgary. has anyone had this done?????????? he told me it wont hurt at all but then he told me LIS wont hurt and i will be 100% in 1 week. So i need some really advice
cheers
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: rectal pressure test????????????

Postby Elphie » 05 Jun 2011, 20:39

I'm so sorry you're still suffering after finally getting surgery, which SHOULD have given you some relief! It's not unheard of to have a second LIS, some docs cut conservatively to avoid the dreaded incontinence. My surgery, on paper, was called a superficial lateral internal sphincterotomy, and I was concerned that meant he wouldn't cut enough, and I discussed this with him before they knocked me out, I told him to please make sure he cut it enough to release it, because I didn't want to do it again. Not because it was horrible, but the build up, fear, prep, stress were all too much to deal with with my ass on fire even more than usual. I think if I was you and still suffering, I would definitely do it again no doubt. I'm sure that doc will be sure to do a good job second time around, to do otherwise would really demonstrate a lack of skill on his part IMO. I was so, so scared I would be one of the few that didn't get relief, I simply couldn't imagine an end to it after all I'd been through, I can only imagine your frustration, it simply ISN'T FAIR! It must be tough to have to go through this decision again, but you've gone this far! You don't deserve to suffer anymore! If you are comfortable speaking with your doc, maybe you can explain your misgivings and ask him to assure you he will do it effectively this time if you do decide to do it. It was hard for me to talk to my doc too but I was getting angry at the end and couldn't hold it in. I needed to get back to my life, my whole family suffered too! I hope you get relief soon, no matter how you get it.
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Elphie » 05 Jun 2011, 20:48

I had a pressure test early on, small tube, they move it around a bit while you squeeze and stuff, didn't hurt. Size of a drinking straw. He did put lidocaine to numb the area a little first. He determined my resting pressure was too high.
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby New mum » 06 Jun 2011, 17:48

Thanks Elphie,
When you had the test done did u have an active fissure??? did they use the balloon???
I am stressing so much about it and if its going to make things worse.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Elphie » 06 Jun 2011, 18:12

I did have an active fissure and to be honest, I'm not sure there was any balloon involved, I was in regular fissure pain and discomfort, but that test didn't make it any worse...now that I've had LIS, I can FEEL the difference in that muscle, the improvement in BMs was the first indicator, that whole stretching/ripping feeling was gone.
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby cherylk » 06 Jun 2011, 22:08

New mum,
I had the anal rectal manometry test which checks on the pressures. I also had a balloon inflated and was unable to expel it. Conclusion--I had pelvic floor dysfunction, which is common. I went through the pelvic floor retraining class (10 days) at the Mayo Clinic, but my fissure was healed by the time I took the class. Hope this helps!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby New mum » 08 Jun 2011, 21:13

Thanks everyone. I spoke to to CRS and he said he wont be doing the balloon, just the pressure test. I feel better now.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby StevePain » 09 Jun 2011, 14:58

Hey New mum, let me know how that test goes just incase I have to go through one in the future.
I kinda thought you'd be doing great by now, maybe you're like me since we are both having a rough time with the healing process, I'm now at 10 months post-op and have just had a set back in the past few days which really shook me bad, I actually thought I'd tore myself a new fissure because of the intense pain, that was two days ago now and today things are starting to ease off again, it just shows how delicate the area still is after 10 months!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby New mum » 10 Jun 2011, 00:43

hey steve that sucks about your set back hope its just a short one. Are you getting any spasms???
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby StevePain » 12 Jun 2011, 12:37

I'm not getting spasms, but every now and again I have a relapse, it's like my rectum has become very fragile since surgery and if I strain just a bit too hard then I can feel it stretch and wham, the burning is back, thankfully I have some Ibuprofen which I take in emergencies that help reduce the inflammation, so far I'm good to go again... until next time!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45