LIS/Fissurectomy Coming Up!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS/Fissurectomy Coming Up!

Postby Brewmaster Mike » 07 Jun 2011, 20:00

Hey everyone. I've suffered from a fissure for a couple of years now and have finally had enough and my LIS/fissurectomy is scheduled for June 16. It's gotten worse lately so that even standing or walking short amounts of time bring back the feeling of broken glass in my ass. As a 25 year old fit guy that became unacceptable and I'm really happy to finally be doing something about it. My pain was never as bad as some I've read about here but it's gotten to the point that I can't run anymore and lifting weights means the rest of my day will likely be in pain so it's time to do something about it.
Reading all the stories here have given me some comfort but have also scared me a bit. I literally feel sick to my stomach reading some of the things others have gone through after this type of surgery. Regardless, I'm getting the surgery next week and have a planned week off work after that, so hopefully the recovery isn't as bad as some have mentioned. Sitting in a chair all day at my desk job sounds like it won't be much fun though. So any words of encouragement are appreciated but I just want to share my experience and learn from others on how to get through this the best way possible. Thanks to all who all who have gone through this before me and shared on this message board.
Brewmaster Mike
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: LIS/Fissurectomy Coming Up!

Postby sidra1968 » 07 Jun 2011, 20:15

Welcome you found the place to be!
Don't sweat it, you're a young and fit guy and should have no problems. As I'm sure you've read, most of us have considered LIS a flippin' breeze compared to an af..the broken glass will be gone! After experiencing that, I think any discomfort or "pains" seem minor (especially after a pain pill)
Glad you found the site!
p.s. LOVE the handle!
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Guest » 07 Jun 2011, 20:24

Welcome to the board Mike. If you can handle the fissure, LIS will be a breeze. This board has so much information that will help you prepare for your surgery... I don't think I would have had a clue how to take care of myself without it. You are doing the right thing moving towards healing in the best way possible. I haven't regretted having mine. Things just kept getting better since the day I had it done.

Postby Deleted User 579 » 08 Jun 2011, 07:29

Welcome, Mike! I'm sure you will be happy you got the surgery :D
The recovery can be a bit rough, but not much worse than dealing with a fissure and the evil spasms, and things generally improve quite a bit after the first week, and then even more by two weeks. The majority of people here have had very good outcomes.
Ass surgery is definitely a scary proposition Image
But this surgery has a high success rate and low complication rate, as far as surgeries go, so the odds are on your side ... and we are here to offer advice and support when you need it!
:D
Deleted User 579

Postby alpha » 08 Jun 2011, 09:19

Hi Mike.
I never had broken glass pain with my fissure. But as one who had ths surgery I can tell u that the post op pain is no where close to the pain you are having.
I too worried a lot about the surgery but it was not necessary. I had both fissurectomy and LIS which are more painful than LIS alone. But still, I was able to manage it with taking vicodin only for 1 and half days after op.
I was able to cook for myself and do light home cleaning from right after I came home from the hospial. The only thing i could not do was sitting on hard surface.
According to a CRS who is a friend of my sister, this is the easiest surgery that they do and he has never seen re-occurence of fissure among his patients. Also the possibility complication is very low.
So don't worry and enjoy your vacation after surgery. I actually having great time at home while taking complete rest.
alpha
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby StevePain » 08 Jun 2011, 14:33

Hi Mike and the best of luck with the surgery, I had LIS and Fissurectomy 10 months ago, I won't lie to you, it bloody hurt!! I've spent 7-8 months recovering any way I can and I'm still not 100%, good days are really good and bad days...
I just carry on the best way I can and don't regret having the surgery it has definitely made pooping easier.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Brewmaster Mike » 08 Jun 2011, 15:03

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I hope to be able to brew at home within a couple weeks after the surgery. But I'm guessing that lifting heavy objects is out for a while following surgery?
Brewmaster Mike
Fibre Addict

Postby alpha » 08 Jun 2011, 16:27

Brewmaster Mike wrote:Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I hope to be able to brew at home within a couple weeks after the surgery. But I'm guessing that lifting heavy objects is out for a while following surgery?

Right, do not lift any heavy things. You can consider that anus (sphincter muscle) is the center of hour body. You never realize that a lot of your body movement will cause your sphicter muscle to contract voluntarily. You will learn this after this surgery. Don't catch cold. Everytime you sneeze, your sphincter muscle will contract voluntarily and it will hurt. When you get up from bed or when you lift heavy things, this sphicter muscle will contract and it will hurt. So go very easy with your body and relax.
Good luck, it's my day +7 after op. I am 80% back to normal. I can drive around town and do shopping already.
alpha
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Brewmaster Mike » 08 Jun 2011, 20:00

Any ideas on how long it takes to recover before jogging again? I'm definitely looking forward to doing that again.
Also, one of my fears about this surgery has been the cost. With buying a house and getting married on the near horizon I didn't want to have to pay too much. So for anybody worried about the cost here is my situation: talked to the surgery center today, and after hitting my $1,000 deductible, my insurance provider picks up 80% of the cost. I was told earlier that the total cost with anesthesia and everything could be around $8,500. Well they told me today I only have to pay about $1,100 which isn't cheap but still isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. So one less thing for me to worry about :)
Brewmaster Mike
Fibre Addict

Postby sidra1968 » 08 Jun 2011, 21:32

Well, for me I had to pay like $6000 total as my decuctible is $5000..but you know what? I would've paid $100,000 to feel better! Money became no object - what good is money when you cannot do ANYTHING anyway but sit around in excruciating pain and crying and lying in a bathtub 24/7?
I would've flown to Zanzibar and taken out massive loans to not be passing broken shards of glass every morning while literally biting down on a towel - and then having a hot poker up there for the next 7 hours. I figured when I got my health back, I'd work 3 jobs if I had to. I just wanted MY LIFE BACK!
I paid $3,000 cash and then put the rest on a 0% card..worth every penny! They told me the total was $14,000 roughly.
Glad things are going well.
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12