Long Time Sufferer, glad to find others

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Long Time Sufferer, glad to find others

Postby Sue44 » 08 Jun 2011, 13:48

Hello all
I'm so glad I've found people who are suffering with this terrible affliction. I've had AF for years now, I've lost track TBH, but it must be at least 8-9 years. I've had all sorts of treatments, from the ointments to botox. I've tried Rectogesic, and my GP warned me that it increases the size of blood vessels to increase the flow and aid healing, but of course, this would happen all over and I 'might' get a blinding headache too. I also suffer with high blood pressure and the first time I used it the cream, I felt like I was going to have a heart attack, my heart was racing so much, I felt it was going to pound out of my chest. I had to stop using it. I've had 2 botox ops over the years, but these haven't worked either.
I get so fed up of having days of normal BM, followed by days of constipation, followed by straining so hard it hurts and bleeds. I too have days of itching and soreness, some days better than others.
My other worry is my Dad died of bowel cancer when I was 11 (I'm now 44) and he died in his early 40s. :( At my last botox op 2 years ago, my surgeon had a good look around to see if I had anything worrying as I'd told him of my family history. Luckily he said that there was nothing there to worry about, but you know, it's always in the back of my mind. I do know what signs to look out for and my blood is always bright red when I clean myself, so I know it's a fresh tear so to speak.
Thanks for reading
Sue
PS, is there a forum guide to all the shorthand on here? AF, BM I can work out, but not sure what some others mean. thanks in advance.
Sue44
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Long Time Sufferer, glad to find others

Postby StevePain » 08 Jun 2011, 14:21

Hi Sue, I see you've been suffering for 8-9 years which is a very very long time, I don't know how you have managed tbh, most of us get surgery after a year or two.
I'm with you on the Rectogesic, I also suffer with high BP and the Recto makes my heart race like crazy but if you can put up with it then it's definitely worth giving it a try.
My bowel habits sound quite similar to yours even though I'm taking fibre supplements I have days of normal poops and other days of struggling to go which causes a flare up of pain and discomfort, we shouldn't strain to go but it's so easy to forget especially when you feel the urge.
I'm sorry to hear that your father died of bowel cancer and I can fully understand how that lays heavily on your mind with having these anal issues, you're right about the bright red blood too, a sign of a fissure or could be hemmies.
Rest assured you are not alone and in the best place for help and advice.
Steve.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Sue44 » 08 Jun 2011, 15:07

Hi Steve,
yes I think I've got a high threshold of pain, having 2 boys on only gas & air I think that must be true :) I had piles after the birth of my 2nd son, as he was very heavy baby. But this problem I have now is definitely the AF. I know I should go back to the doctor. I've just started getting medical insurance again as I started a new job and had to wait a year before I could get it, so I will make an appointment to get referred back to the private sector again.
Just knowing I have other people to talk to, who know what you're going through is great.
Sue44
Fibre Addict

Postby Sue44 » 03 Oct 2011, 15:20

just thought I'd pop on here, as I haven't been here for a while. I've got a colonoscopy booked for Monday with a private consultant through my work's medical insurance.
Sue44
Fibre Addict

Postby Iona » 03 Oct 2011, 16:18

Good luck Sue,
I hope all goes well for you. I am only a couple of months in with my AF and have so much respect for you dealing wiht it for so long.
All the best
Iona
Iona
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Postby TonyStone » 03 Oct 2011, 16:48

Wish we had never met on an AF forum Sue. But since we're all here, HELLO.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Idol79 » 08 Oct 2011, 16:10

Hi sue...ive also been suffering for 5 years now, a nightmare isn't it!! :((
Idol79
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby val » 10 Oct 2011, 00:42

Hi Sue, a very big welcome to you!
Have they considered doing LIS on you? It has helped many of us to heal, and as you have been suffering for so many years, might be a good option?
sorry about your dad, that's very sad.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby of all the places to hurt » 10 Oct 2011, 12:43

Sorry to hear about your fissures for sooo long and your dad!
Now you have found us, have a good read around. Also, when I saw your from the UK I am not in the least surprised your still suffering. You really need to resolve this. 9 years is more they blinkin give for murder these days lol!!
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Sue44 » 10 Oct 2011, 16:28

thanks everyone.
I didn't have my colonoscopy today, I came down with a terrible cold late last week, so I've postponed it to the 24 Oct.
Could I ask what "LIS" means? thanks
Sue44
Fibre Addict