When do you know your fissure has healed for good?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: When do you know your fissure has healed for good?

Postby Deedee62 » 22 Jun 2011, 17:23

Mine has healed, but I tried to stop the softeners and lower the amount of Miralax, and I started binding right back up again and getting very sore.
Deedee62
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Postby Hope » 22 Jun 2011, 20:35

Matt - I am in Massachusetts. Soon to see yet another CRS.
I absolutely agree that the body gets used to Miralax. I just had a 3 week period of NO pain/bleeding at all. None.
Healed? I don't think so. All hell broke loose again, usual dose of Miralax just stopped working, I had the usual and the next morning the stool was just tiny bit more firm, still soft just not soft enough! Blood/pain returned.
It is really a vicuious cycle, I don't know on what day to up the dose, seems like 3 weeks is the break I get and then boom, it doesn't work any more. No diet changes either.
I still don't feel spasm, for 3 weeks I felt normal but ONE bathroom trip that is not soft enough to the monster's liking and life is gone again. I haven't had constipation for years although I am prone to it and no diet has made any difference. Miralax is the only thing that helped.
Will it ever end? I don't know how to make stools consistently very very soft because as long as they are soft I feel normal, but I can not, for the life of me, make it consistent for a YEAR!!!!
Hope
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 22 Jun 2011, 21:56

Hope,
I went 4 weeks with no blood with my fissure before LIS. It doesn't take much of anything for it to rear it's ugly head and come back to haunt you.
Many times I would re-tear right before my period and wondered if hormones played a part in the re-tears. The smallest things can cause the poop to not be perfect for a fissure.
Since LIS , this hasn't been a problem at all for me...
The looser sphincter takes all the bm's that the fissure couldn't handle before...
I hope that you are able to heal on your on and I wish you the best of luck:) I know how frustrating it can be!

Postby MattMecham » 22 Jun 2011, 22:42

Hope wrote:Matt - I am in Massachusetts. Soon to see yet another CRS.
I absolutely agree that the body gets used to Miralax. I just had a 3 week period of NO pain/bleeding at all. None.
Healed? I don't think so. All hell broke loose again, usual dose of Miralax just stopped working, I had the usual and the next morning the stool was just tiny bit more firm, still soft just not soft enough! Blood/pain returned.
It is really a vicuious cycle, I don't know on what day to up the dose, seems like 3 weeks is the break I get and then boom, it doesn't work any more. No diet changes either.
I still don't feel spasm, for 3 weeks I felt normal but ONE bathroom trip that is not soft enough to the monster's liking and life is gone again. I haven't had constipation for years although I am prone to it and no diet has made any difference. Miralax is the only thing that helped.
Will it ever end? I don't know how to make stools consistently very very soft because as long as they are soft I feel normal, but I can not, for the life of me, make it consistent for a YEAR!!!!

Hope, I am wondering how you would feel about going on an all-natural diet. No processed foods of any kind, just all fresh. I know I have read that processed food, at least in regards to some digestive systems, can really play havoc with digestion. It would take some getting used to, though. I didn't even want to think about life without Doritos, but it's been a couple of years now, and I'll bet I haven't eaten half a bag during that time; however, my health has only improved. It's hard to avoid ALL processed foods, but if you can get to where you're at least a 50/50 split between processed and natural, you're doing pretty well, better than most. You may want to keep a food journal, and track what kinds of food bind you up. I started doing that about two weeks before my LIS, and have kept one ever since (mostly to track calories, but it's also good to look back through the first part of the day and see if I'm on track for eating enough fruits, vegetables, meat, and grains for the day). I hated keeping a food journal at first, but now it's commonplace. I'd feel weird if I went a day without tracking my food intake.
Sorry to just go on and on. I hope you find something that helps.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Hope » 23 Jun 2011, 10:52

Dawn, thank you for your words of encouragement. You may have seen in my previous posts that my visits to the CRS were less than productive. He plainly refused to talk about surgery, he was old and recommended and experienced. He said I don't have spasm so LIS won't do anything for me. He also said that my fissure may come back after LIS, so no point of doing it. I am going to see a woman doctor in the end of next month, I hope to get something different from her, something other than "fiber and sitz baths". It is soooo frustrating to think you are better and then go back to square one repeatedly. Like you I can safely say that fissure opens up around period every month (if it wasn't already continuously opened before).
Matt, thank you so much for your suggestions. I am a big fun of all-natural diet already. The problem is I have never ate junk (may be in college which was 15 years ago), so I don't know what needs changing now. I don't eat any processed food. I haven't kept a food journal yet, it's a great idea. Like I said: no clue what binds me up as I have not changed my diet. I am very opposed to fiber, because it doesn't do anything good for me and I also read an interesting view on fiber from this site:
http://www.fibermenace.com/gutsense/transition.html
My diet:
Morning: 2 cups of kefir yogurt
Lunch: Tomatoes and fresh mozzarella or fresh salad
Dinner: Soup (beet, vegetables or chicken),
sushi (no rice, just fish cucumber, avocado)
For snack I have berries, cheese, fruit.
Never bread, never junk food, rarely chocolate, sometime coffee drinks.
I have a small frame, don't eat much in general :)
Hope
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby MattMecham » 23 Jun 2011, 16:47

Hope, I wonder if it could be the cheese and dairy that is giving you trouble. Those were two of the hardest things to cut from my diet, because I love them almost more than my wife and kids, but I noticed when I cut way, way back on those two items, a lot of my own digestive problems faded either into the background or non-existence.
A food journal helped me isolate what was giving me the most digestive trouble. It helped me notice that I was eating a LOT of cheese and dairy, and experimentation helped me isolate those particular trouble spots. Basically, I cut first cheese from my diet for a week, but kept other dairy, and then cut dairy from my diet but kept cheese, and then on about the third week, I cut both from my diet, and felt much, much better.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3