Anyone know a good Canadian colorectal surgeon?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Anyone know a good Canadian colorectal surgeon?

Postby Mindhex » 25 Jun 2023, 07:20

I am in canada and would like the rexcomendation of a Canadian surgeon who has successfully done lis on someone. I received a botched lis from a surgeon who i believe ket hus students operate on me.
Mindhex
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Anyone know a good Canadian colorectal surgeon?

Postby chachacha » 25 Jun 2023, 11:11

You will have to find a surgeon who is not working in a teaching hospital if you want to prevent residents and medical fellows working on you. But while those young doctors may make mistakes, the overall success rates in teaching hospitals is far greater than in any other. I would never get surgery done in a regional hospital, or allow my loved ones to do so, unless it was an emergency, because the complication rates, poor outcomes, are much, much higher. In fact, as a current retiree, I will always consider where I move to next, because I will want to be close enough to a major city, so that I will have access to a teaching hospital. You can however, explain your history to a new CRS at a teaching hospital, and he or she will sometimes fit you into a surgical slot that won't have any students present. Not all will comply, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Mindhex » 25 Jun 2023, 11:14

chachacha wrote:You will have to find a surgeon who is not working in a teaching hospital if you want to prevent residents and medical fellows working on you. But while those young doctors may make mistakes, the overall success rates in teaching hospitals is far greater than in any other. I would never get surgery done in a regional hospital, or allow my loved ones to do so, unless it was an emergency, because the complication rates, poor outcomes, are much, much higher. In fact, as a current retiree, I will always consider where I move to next, because I will want to be close enough to a major city, so that I will have access to a teaching hospital. You can however, explain your history to a new CRS at a teaching hospital, and he or she will sometimes fit you into a surgical slot that won't have any students present. Not all will comply, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.

Apparently not since my lis was a complete failure
Mindhex
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Postby chachacha » 25 Jun 2023, 12:05

You had a failure, but statistically, the odds were actually in your favour.

Has your surgeon explained what went wrong, and if there's a fix?
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19