Great British Fissure sufferer says hello!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Great British Fissure sufferer says hello!

Postby bluefizz » 13 Jun 2011, 06:57

Hello all
I'm a middle-aged UK-based fissure sufferer. Had my first one about 10 years ago and it healed pretty fast using Nitro.
February this year I went on a high-protein/super-high-nut content diet (pretty damn stupid) - cue constipation and chopped nuts in system! Result - anterior tear (visible on examination by doc) - I even found little chips of sharp nuts in and around my anus.
This one's proving really tough to beat. Started on Nitro - but bad headaches and dizziness. Switched to Diltiazem - no headaches but stinging/itching reaction. Took a break from both and tried Wheatgrass cream on a recommendation.
Currently seem to have moved on from aching/soreness to almost constant prickling/sometimes itching.
Doc examined me two weeks ago and said it was on its way out and would only go one way now - total healing. Put me on timodene (steroid, painkiller, anti-fungal etc) as he said the pain was now more anal irritation than the fissure itself. For four days all went great - using Dilt x 2 a day plus this cream.
Only then flared up again! (by the way, I've hardly even had blood this time).
Now a bit down about it. Using Diltiazem again, but it seems to really bring on irritation.
Plus, in the UK, docs seem vague about whether it goes in or around the anus.
Any advise, help and support much welcome. Intrigued to hear that moderator used lidocaine plus dilt. Would like to know how and how often this mixed regime worked.
bluefizz
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Great British Fissure sufferer says hello!

Postby Savaici » 13 Jun 2011, 11:03

Hi there and welcome. Sorry to hear you have a fissure returned. The joy of it all!!
I have just posted a link on the information about websites, on here, but here it is again so that you can have a read. http://www.uptodate.com/contents/patient-information-anal-fissure
I don't have llidocaine in my Nifedipine, which is a calcium channel block, as is Diltiazem. It makes me sore, ergo not relieving the pain. My N has a water based mix, which was made up by a compounding pharmacy. I use it twice a day, and I also use vaseline, which has helped me - the vaseline, that is, not sure about the N. I am just about to get Nitro and Valium for the spasms. Time will tell, as time does with these wretched things.
My Colo-Rectal surgeon says do not put inside, just on the anus, which is what I am doing. Also, with the lidocaine, you should be able to get that at the chemist, and could always mix it in with the vaseline. Trial and error is my motto.
Steroid are not good for more than two weeks. Thins the skin, which is something you don't want to do. Sometimes the doctor does not always know best. Mine wanted me to slap 2% Nitro on, made for heart patients...told me twice... I have Dr Wheatgrass but cannot say it has done a thing for me. I am using it rubbed in to my butt cheeks, as the skin gets a burning sensation there sometimes. Getting some use for it.
Hope some of this is of use to you. Cannot help but say that I really feel your pain, as definitely go through it too. As do all here. Em Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222