Less Than A Week To Go!!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Less Than A Week To Go!!!

Postby dexterdude » 17 Jun 2011, 10:20

Well, tbh the doctors told me the chance is 50-50 for just botox and around 85% with botox + fissurectomy. Also, they told me if in 6 weeks I'm not doing better, we will schedule the LIS. They seemed very open and honest, so I guess theэ know what they're doing :)
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby val » 17 Jun 2011, 10:25

Just curious - if LIS is the Rolls Royce of treatments with a better success rate, and they might have to resort to it anyway, why do they try the botox first?
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Savaici » 17 Jun 2011, 10:53

Hi Val. I think it's the fear of incontinence. Though I think it is only a very low percentage that get this. Maybe NG might have some stats and info. My CRS said he did not want to do LIS on me as I am over 55... And yet on the other hand I have this very tight spincter. The way I feel now, a little incontinence instead of constant pain would be a fair swap. Hope you are feeling better today.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby val » 17 Jun 2011, 11:36

I read somewhere that if the surgeon was competent then the risk of incontinence is nearly zero, and that the only reason there is a percentage that are incontinent is because they add all the surgeries together - ie the bad surgeons who don't get it right!
What a shame they won't do LIS on you you - I think anything is better than having a tight sphincter and having spasms.
I'm not too bad at the moment thanks, although I do feel a bit wobbly today! How are you?
val
King Fissure

Postby dexterdude » 20 Jun 2011, 06:23

My docs told me they leave LIS for last because while the chance for incontinence now is small, the chance for it later is greater. Having said that, they will do it if botox doesnt work :)
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby val » 20 Jun 2011, 07:49

I'm sure most people who are in constant pain and/or rolling on the floor with spasms would trade that for a bit of incontinence when we're 80! LOL!
val
King Fissure

Postby dexterdude » 20 Jun 2011, 08:43

Heh told the doc the same thing: when do i want to feel better? Now or later? Image
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist