Less Than A Week To Go!!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Less Than A Week To Go!!!

Postby andy1505 » 15 Jun 2011, 09:35

Hi Everyone
Less than a week to go until i have my surgery!!!
I am getting really stressed about the whole thing, i have a phobia of hospitals anyway which doesn't help. On my Pre-op they did put this on the notes and they have said they can give me something when i am in to settle my nerves!!
They also said they need to have a look first to see if Botox is the best option, but on the letter i had from the consultant it says Botox and fissurectomy, so will i need stitches for this?
I just need to get my head around what is going to be done on the day, i think once i know i will feel a little better
Andy
andy1505
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Less Than A Week To Go!!!

Postby val » 15 Jun 2011, 10:10

Hi Andy,
in my experience you have to be very bossy with the hospitals, it's not in my nature to be like that but if you want something you really have to ask (read "tell!")
Botox might work, but is there a reason for not doing LIS? If you are phobic of sugeries (I am too) then there is more chance of having to have a repeat botox, or even LIS ifit doesn't work, which would mean another surgery.
You could ask your doc for a low dose of valium, it would relax things and make you more relaxed for surgery.
Good luck - it won't be as bad as you think - honest!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 579 » 15 Jun 2011, 10:15

Hey Andy - great news! I've read about botox + fissurectomy as a newer way of dealing with fissures. I don't think they will stitch you up because the fissure should heal from the inside out. That way it won't get infected and form a mini fistula-like thing. That's my understanding at least.
Surgery is scary, but when it's over you can focus on healing and getting your life back. And that is so much better than living in pain indefinitely!
Try not to stress too much (believe me, I know how hard that is!). I'm curious about your procedure - please keep us posted. I'm sure it will go very well! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby andy1505 » 15 Jun 2011, 10:27

Val
It's not really the surgery, I was knocked off my push bike in 2000, two years later I was diagnosed with PTSD which has left me really petrified of hospitals!!
I know I need the surgery, had the fissure for years but normally it heals, but this time had it since December 2010 and fed up to the back teeth with it
I enjoy running and haven't been out since mid Jan, this was also a good stress reliever!!
Thanks for your advice
Andy
andy1505
Salt Bather

Postby val » 15 Jun 2011, 10:43

Sorry to hear that Andy. My son got his pushbike stolen by a couple of thugswhen he was 12 and never went outside alone againand ended up agoraphobic. So I know how devastating and life changing it can be.
Yes, it is a literal pain in the ass coping with butt problems, but after your surgery you'll be well on your way to complete healing and soon be running again!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 15 Jun 2011, 10:47

Hi Andy,
I was horrified before having my LIS. I know where your coming from. It was nothing like I had imagined- much easier and much less painful then the day before with my fissure.
I agree with Val, there's a huge chance of having to repeat the botox and in the end needing LIS. I just wasn't up for that roller coaster ride. I know it can work but from what I've read most people on this board ended up having to get LIS in the end.
This will be your best shot of healing this and getting on with your life, Andy. When you get fearful, just think of how bad you hate your fissure and it controlling your life!
My surgery really was a breeze. You may be pleasantly surprised as I was.
Good Luck:)

Postby Deleted User 579 » 15 Jun 2011, 11:04

wow Andy - PTSD would certainly make hospital visits incredibly stressful. I'm glad the folks at the hospital are aware of this and are willing to do something about it. After the surgeries I've gone through, I dread hospitals and get really anxious whenever I have to go to one. My issue is not as serious as yours, but I appreciate the anxiety involved here. I know the hospital visit will be quite a trial, but it will go fast and you will be home before you know it. Image
Deleted User 579

Postby andy1505 » 15 Jun 2011, 11:34

Thanks everyone, it's good to share different experiences, hopefully this will help put my mind at rest, will let you all know how it goes!!
Andy
andy1505
Salt Bather

Postby dexterdude » 15 Jun 2011, 23:51

Hey,
I'm also having the same next week :). Tbh I'm totally not stressed about it, I'm happy to finally do it in fact. They told me I'll also get a tablet about 1/2 hrs before to relax me, then general anesthetic. As it's a simple procedure, the anesthetic will be the lightest general they give, so they told me I will just have a nice and refreshing sleep. They'll also keep me in overnight so they can give me painkillers should I need it. So it looks quite cool.
My only worry is that it will hurt more afterwards then it does now. The doc told me it might hurt or it might not. Also, I will get a week off work. Then, about 4-6 weeks later we will check if it's healing and if not, go for the LIS.
So again, I wouldn't worry about the actual surgery so much, it's a half an hour thing and you sleep through it Image
ps: I was also given the option of a spinal, instead of the general, but the anesthesist actually advised me to go for the general, because that way I won't have any psychological stress and physically won't feel a thing
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Savaici » 16 Jun 2011, 11:14

The success rate seems to be good for the combined: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17262202
Also, a link here for what NOT to do afterwards...
http://anal-fissure.org/t997-fissurectomy-with-botox-in-the-or
Best of luck! Let us know how it goes. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222