got my first fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

got my first fissure

Postby adam » 20 Jun 2011, 16:33

Hey Everyone,
It's nice to see that people with the same problem are here to help eachother out. I see that many people on here have troubles getting rid of their fissure and it puts my life, and life as a whole, into perspective. I'm sure any such a problem would do that for anyone.
My name is Adam, I'm a 27 year old man from Canada, and found out I had a fissure about 12 days ago. 19 days ago, I had anal sex for the first time and couldn't bear it for longer than 3 minutes. A week went by with no problems, pains, aches or anything of the sort. But after that, my bowel movement was excrutiating.
I work in a fast-paced contruction industry and ever since i started 8 years ago, I've been holding in my bowel movements until the end of the day when I get home, and all was well. But I think that, plus the anal sex was not a good combination.
A week of pain went by, and I fought through it, going to work everyday, and even took up the habit of going to the washroom when I need to. At the end of the week I took the day off to see my family doctor (because she's only available in the mornings). She gave me anusol. That was last week.
I'll keep everyone updated on major improvements/failures of my fissure with the types of remedies and strageties I use.
Sorry if my post was a bit vulgar Image
Adam
adam
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: got my first fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 20 Jun 2011, 21:03

Hey Adam,
Out of curiosity: how do you know it's a fissure? Did the doc visualize it with an anuscope or anything like that? Did they detect a spasming sphincter?
The reason I ask is that Anusol is hydrocortisone based. It's fine for hemorrhoids but generally isn't considered appropriate treatment for fissures. Many of us have wasted time with hydrocortisone, which is a shame because the easiest time to treat fissures without surgery is early on in their acute phase. I've read some scattered anecdotal reports of hydrocortisone helping symptomatically, but in general, it does more harm than good and isn't very effective at actually curing the problem IMO.
The ointments typically used for fissures are based on nifedipine (0.2% compound), nitroglycerin (0.2% compound), and diltiazem (2% compound -- the 2% is not a typo). If your condition has been confirmed to be a fissure (and given your history I'd agree that it likely is), then I'd personally suggest looking at getting on one of the fissure appropriate ointments rather than hydrocortisone. Just my 2 cents.
Also, are you taking any stool softeners? An effective stool softener is usually a cornerstone of the fissure diet. Different people respond differently, but one of the most commonly used ones around here (and my personal fav) is Miralax in the States (I believe Restoralax in Canada).
I think it's safe to say that the way you got your fissure differs a bit from most of us here, but still, a fissure is a fissure, and requires appropriate treatment. Hopefully things go well (after all most acute fissures resolve on their own with minimal measures), but if they don't, then hopefully what I've mentioned will provide some starting points for the next steps.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby dexterdude » 21 Jun 2011, 04:04

What he said: start taking Movicol/Miralax/Restoralax NOW! It will help lots and if you haven't had any prior problems should get the fissure under control pretty quickly. Of course, one of the ointments described by NG above would also be preferred, but I think for those you need to ask the doctor.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Deleted User 579 » 21 Jun 2011, 10:33

Welcome Adam - I'm so sorry you are suffering with an AF. I strongly second everything that has been said, especially about the proper ointments. Many of us found that our fissures actually got worse from using hydrocortisone ointments. Definitely get the proper meds asap. Stool softeners are also a definite must. I find Restoralax does a great job, and you can modify the dosage too. It's not uncommon for fissures to be caused by anal sex, so you need to make sure to lube well and that your partner is gentle! I really hope you heal very quickly Image
Deleted User 579

Postby Savaici » 21 Jun 2011, 14:24

Ditto all the welcomes. Image Anal fissures are nasty. Amazing that such a little thing, often just the size of a paper cut, can go on to give us such grief. I would agree totally with what NG said about the medication, and the sooner you use the right 'stuff,' while the fissure is acute and not at the chronic stage, the better. Some doctors just do not have a clue. Mine wanted me to slap 2% Nitro onto my A and did not even want to listen to the fact that it should be 0.2%. Hope all goes well for you. Em
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby adam » 21 Jun 2011, 16:04

You are all great people here I see. I was afraid to post why I got my fissure because I thought some people may be judgemental and offended, but you're all truly good souls and thanks for the great advice. I'll go back to my doctor and discuss those ointments and stool softeners. :D
adam
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Deleted User 579 » 21 Jun 2011, 16:20

No judgement here, my friend, and we're definitely not offended. You are welcome and we are here for you and will try to help in any way we can.
Please keep us posted!
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 23 Jun 2011, 03:49

Hi Adam,
it's surprising how many doctors give us piles medication for fissures- just because its the same area doesn't mean it needs the same treatment Image
Are you having spasms? They are awful. Fissure pain is awful! Warm baths after a BM will help and if you having the terrible "passing glass" feeling after a BM, then put an ice cube in a little sandwich bag and hold it on there until the pain goes, then jump in a warm bath - it does help!
Good luck with dealing with it - I hope you can heal it while it's still in the acute stage.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86