Back from pressure test HELPPPPPPP!!!! need advice/support

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Back from pressure test HELPPPPPPP!!!! need advice/support

Postby New mum » 21 Jun 2011, 22:27

Hi all,
I am back from having the pressure test to see if i need another LIS good news (well maybe good news) is i dont need another LIS. He wants and have booked in for next week to go under general to have a "look around" what does this mean???? He said he has no idea what is causing my pain. I asked about nerve damage or scar tissue he said no way, he said that the cut was done on the outside so it could not be scar tissue what that.......He said it could be internal hemmies or abscess which he said both of them should not be causing the symptoms i have.
I am now freaking out worried that "looking around"will cause my fissure to retear or leave me worse off. also if i have a internal hemmie does anyone know pain wise how the banding is/works. if its a abscess woundnt i have symptoms eg puss etc.
sorry to rant just freaking out
thanks
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: Back from pressure test HELPPPPPPP!!!! need advice/support

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 21 Jun 2011, 22:53

Hey Mum,
It sounds like basically exploratory surgery, just without the surgery (unless they find something that requires immediate attention of course). My guess is it'll be pretty similar what I had done in the ER when I showed up there with bad fissure pain. They sedated me with IV painkillers and sedatives (conscious sedation only so I was pretty drugged up but not fully out) and then spread the ol' cheeks to have a looksie inside. They couldn't do this without sedating me because it was way too painful.
I don't think it's a bad thing to do, and in fact it's what I would push for if I were in your shoes. If the manometry test showed normal rectal pressures, then that means you likely wouldn't benefit from a second LIS, so they're looking for a source for the pain. If they find something like an abscess during the exam, my guess is they will most likely drain it on the spot (making someone wait to have that done would be a little ridiculous), but otherwise I wouldn't expect anything else to get affected. I wouldn't worry too much about the fissure re-tearing ... to be fair it's not something that can be ruled out completely (it's a possibility any time that area undergoes trauma of any kind), but IMO the risk isn't very high. I had my ass examined in this manner when my fissure was at its worst and it didn't get any worse afterward. And as everyone on this board knows, I'm kind of an epic complainer :)
Personally I still think that what you're experiencing is just one of the ups and downs of the LIS healing process. Obviously I don't know the intensity of pain it's causing, however, so if the pain is really, really bad, then internal hemorrhoids or an abscess can't be fully ruled out either. It's true that you don't have the classical symptoms for either, but that doesn't mean much as plenty of folks have diseases or disorders with atypical rather than classical presentations. Classical, specific symptoms only help to identify problems; their absence generally shouldn't be used to rule out possible suspects.
Long story short: IMO the benefit of being able to see the area and understand what is (or isn't) going on clearly outweighs any risks related to re-injuring the fissure. So I would personally be full speed ahead as far as this exam, and am glad to hear that they've made it an option for you. It's far better than someone blinding guessing what's going on. In the best case, they'll see nothing and you'll know it's nothing serious. In the worst case, they'll find something and initiate appropriate treatment. Both beat doing nothing :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby New mum » 21 Jun 2011, 23:00

thanks ng for ur input, do u think they will use a anoscope??? also i dont know if there is a internal hemmie if i should get that banded at the same time, he said he would. I also worry that after i will have pain from the looking and fissure, spasm pain.
its the unknown thats killing me and that they are so "what ever it wont hurt" that pisses me off and worrys me
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 21 Jun 2011, 23:20

Hey Mum, to be honest I dunno about the anuscope. I would expect them to use one, and honestly, I think it's the right thing to do. If you're sedated adequately, you shouldn't feel anything, and the anuscope provides the most clear view of the rectum (even more so than a colonoscope since the anuscope can see the distal corners of the rectum better). Anuscopes are actually very non-invasive -- they only go inside the anus a tiny bit, although it can feel like it's a lot deeper if you're already in pain. I had an old school proctoscope used on me once, and that definitely beats out the anuscope for barbarism factor LOL!!!
I have some mild-moderate hemorrhoid issues but have never had them banded, so I can't comment there, sorry. I believe StevePain had piles banded before and said things went pretty well. From what I've heard, banding will increase discomfort short term though. IMO it should be your call regarding the banding: if you want it done, tell them, but if you don't want it done, then tell the doc to leave them alone even if they find internal hemorrhoids. It's your body and your call. If you just want a diagnosis and nothing more, then they should respect that. You can always decide to band them later if they are in fact the cause and still bother you later down the line. Also, there are other conservative treatments such as infrared photocoagulation for hemorrhoids that you might consider should they be the culprit.
Some doctors can be jerks and others can be really compassionate so try not to let that get to you. Some just see so many patients every day that they're burnt out themselves. If you just want a diagnosis, communicate that. And if you want anything discovered to be treated on the spot, then communicate that as well. The only singular thing to focus on should be to meet the goals that YOU have in mind.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 22 Jun 2011, 05:28

I agree with what NG says, you will be having exploratory surgery under sedation, I had this to find out my source of pain, that's when the fissure was seen and they carried on with LIS and fissurectomy during the examination, hopefully in your case the pain will be all down to the long healing process, pretty much the same as me
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby RedCharger » 22 Jun 2011, 07:54

I was sent for a CT scan to confirm I am suffering from a fissure. Although I have been diagnosed with one from the Rudd Clinic here in Toronto and IMO my symptoms fit with many here that have had fissures, my General Surgeon says he could not see one when he examined me. He therefore decided to send me for the scan which I did yesterday.
Is that an option if your concerned about expository surgery?
RedCharger
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby New mum » 23 Jun 2011, 21:56

rrr they just cancelled my surgery now gotta stress for another few weeks :(
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 23 Jun 2011, 21:58

WHAT!? So when's the new date? Why did they cancel the original one?
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby New mum » 24 Jun 2011, 00:06

they told me he forgot he was going way! right........ now made it for 11th july,
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby New mum » 24 Jun 2011, 00:07

also went to gp today and now starting antidepressants to try and help with my ups and downs from all this crap. so hope it helps
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist