generic miralax question

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

generic miralax question

Postby mm92599 » 25 Jun 2011, 12:05

I recently purchased the generic miralax sold at Costco because it was quite a bit less expensive, however, lately it seems as though I've been having alot of problems with my stomach. I consistently feel very full and bloated, even after I have a good bm. I didn't really have issues when taking Miralax, but the generic is supposed to be the same so I wonder if I'm just imagining this new symptom of not. Anyone have any experience with generic Miralax and has had stomach issues that you didn't have while taking regular Miralax?
mm92599
Salt Bather

Topics: 25

Re: generic miralax question

Postby Guest » 25 Jun 2011, 17:49

Hey there,
I haven't had any problems with the generic miralax Image
Maybe others can add there experience with you. It has been kind of slow in here today...

Postby seili » 28 Jun 2011, 13:41

I've never noticed a difference, though, sometimes I do have an upset stomach after taking it (generic or Miralax.) But it is rare and it could be because I did have to take 2 scoops a day.
It's only one ingredient(or it should be...is yours?)- polyethylene glycol. I've always wondered if there could be any kind of difference at all in processing, but then I doubt it because I have the same result with both kinds.
Not quite like some other generic things- such as flea treatments. There is one that has the same main ingredient as Frontline, however, the dispersal agent is different...which makes it apparently not work as well. Well, that's just an example.
But my dad says that he doesn't do well with Miralax or the generic. That it causes him stomach problems. I have read that there are some people who just don't do well with polyethylene glycol and they have to try other stool softeners.
seili
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby val » 28 Jun 2011, 14:23

If the ingredients say they are the same, they should be the same but it's like ibruprofen - I think Nurofen works better than generic ibruprofen. Maybe it's just the thought of it.....! Or maybe they use a cheaper quality of ingredients! There must be some reason why they are cheaper!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Bambi » 25 Jul 2011, 20:03

I used a generic from Walmart from several months and then started having some of the symptoms you are describing. However, I think it was more my body just reaching the limit it could have with Miralax in general. I used the name brand as well around the same time and suddenly couldn't take even a tiny amount without having too many loose stools even though I used it before that in greater quantities without issue. Luckily this was around the same time when I was reaching a good healing point following surgery. It took a while for my body to "get over" Miralax in my opinion. But when you need it, it is a miracle of sorts.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 27 Jul 2011, 11:12

I've used Miralax and various generics and agree with seili and Bambi: my abdomen (not really stomach in my case) sometimes gets a bit upset with it (bloating and gas mostly), but it's never because of generic versus brand name. I've been using the stuff since 2009 so I've gone through bottles and bottles of the brand name stuff (the patent on it only expired in 2009 so before then that's the only choice you had), SmoothLAX (Walgreens), PureLAX (CVS Pharmacy), and LaxaClear (Costco).
What seili says is right: with Miralax, the generics and the brand name should be 100% identical, because they are all just one compound, which is polyethylene glycol 3350. This is unlike many other generic pharmaceuticals, where the active ingredient is the same but the filler (i.e., inactive ingredients) can and often do differ.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby of all the places to hurt » 06 Aug 2011, 15:13

Does anyone know what the UK version of Miralax is? I have just been taking movicol for the last 3 days and nothing has happened?? God help me when it does :( I thought movicol was a softener and a gentle laxative?? Anyone know before I blow up ha ha
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Guest » 07 Aug 2011, 20:14

Hey Andrea,
I believe the UK version of Miralax is Movicol. It can take about three days before kicking and then after that it should get better and more predictable.
It draws water into the bowels which makes the stool softer. You need to drink plenty of water and a good amount of fiber. I ate around 20-25 grams. Some folks use fiber supplements along with the Miralax/Movicol.
Hope your bm comes soon and you get good results once it kicks in. Three days is quite awhile but it can take a few days to work on some people. Hopefully once it kicks in you'll start to get steady results and have a BM everyday.

Postby of all the places to hurt » 08 Aug 2011, 07:14

Hey Dawn,
Get the flags out Movicol worked!! Phew.....Think I just lost 7pounds ;-)
As always thanx for your advice!!
Especially as your better now & still care enough for the rest of us suffering!!! Image Same goes to you Val Image
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2011, 08:07

Image So Happy the Movicol kicked in and worked for you Andrea!!! Nothing worse than waiting on a poop with a fissure Image