There is such a thing as a good surgery experience!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

There is such a thing as a good surgery experience!

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 Jun 2011, 08:11

Well, you guys were right! The surgery wasn’t so bad at all! So it looks like I am posting to tell you tales of how easy it was (and I didn’t believe you, Dexterdude!) :D
I had a two hour wait in day surgery, which I thought would be really awful. But there were angels on my shoulder to keep me company - all the reassurances and kind support from you guys kept me calm. I just day dreamed about South Africa until the next thing I knew I was being wheeled into surgery.
The OR nurse and the anesthesiologist asked me a bunch of questions. Then my surgeon came to see me and explained that he was doing exploratory surgery along with the fistulotomy, so he would find anything and everything going on ‘up there’. Then, off to happy sleepy land…
I had the most vivid dream that I was watching one of my favorite Star Trek TNG episodes and when I woke up I was completely disoriented (Wha? This isn’t the Enterprise!). My surgeon came in to check my chart and I asked him how everything was. He said the fistula was ј inch and that he got the abscess. I asked him if there was cryptoglandular involvement and I think he said something about a crypt being destroyed and that that is painful, but I couldn’t quite hear him. He was very nice though. He just smiled at me and said that I wasn’t going to remember any of this conversation and we’ll have a thorough talk later. He said he was very pleased with the surgery, so I just chilled and let the nurses take care of me. Image
The worst of it all was actually the packing (ouch!!), but that came out with a BM shortly after I got home. Two hours after the surgery, I was home watching Carey Grant movies and feeling dopey. After watching the Daily Show and took my anti-anxiety med (Lorazepam), then after Cobert, took a Percocet and slept long and deep. Image
Woke up with no pain at all. Now I’m just waiting for the big event – the first ‘real’ BM after surgery. That scares me, but I’ve got pain meds and it’s been 9 hours since I took one, so I feel comfortable taking one this morning if I need it.
So, all in all, you guys were right, it was not a bad experience! Nothing like my LIS!
The only thing that had me a bit shocked and distressed was when I looked last night it appeared that my original fissure tore open a bit again. Image That really upset me. So now it looks like I have more fissure healing to do, on top of the surgical healing ... But, I did it once, dagnammit, I’ll bloody well do it again! Image
(Okay … that’s tough talk … I’m feeling a little sorry for myself, so hugs are definitely welcome :) )
That’s my story. Again, I can’t express how grateful I am for all your support and kindness. It is truly wonderful to have access to such a community of awesome people.
Image Image
Deleted User 579

Re: There is such a thing as a good surgery experience!

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2011, 08:47

Yayy Hope!! So happy it's over for you and you had a much better experience this time!! Good Bye stupid infection!
No pain meds in 9 hours, WOW Image
I would definitely feel comfortable taking one if you need it today.
Sorry to hear about the fissure being a little torn. I guess all the extra work could have re-injured?! But this is to new beginnings without abscess's or infection to get in the way of proper healing with your new looser sphincter Image

Postby dexterdude » 28 Jun 2011, 10:28

Great! So glad it was... as I have forseen *evil laugh* :)
Take care of yourself and DO take the pain meds, that's why you got them. I'm sure it will be all getting better very soon.
ps: the fissure is most likely a result of dilation when they worked down there. I got a new one myself that way so that isn't fun, but I guess it's not much they can do about it.
Last edited by dexterdude on 28 Jun 2011, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby val » 28 Jun 2011, 10:35

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
You SO deserve a happy surgery, a happy recovery and happy-ass-ever-after!
Get well soon!
Image Image Image
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 Jun 2011, 13:50

Thanks guys! :D I'm so relieved that things went so well. I wasn't looking forward to the first BM, but it wasn't too bad. Actually, it was mostly liquid, so I definitely didn't have to worry about the pain meds constipating me! I'm still taking the Miralax, though, because I'm moving onto solid food today. I took your advice and popped a percocet when the pain from the BM started to increase - no point letting things get out of hand. :)
Dexterdude - I'm sorry you got a new fissure from your surgery, but thanks for telling me. I was a bit anxious about that. But there's no real fissure pain so far, so I think it'll heal back up pretty quick. Is yours healing ok?
Thanks so much for your support! I hope everyone is having a good day today.
Deleted User 579

Postby dexterdude » 28 Jun 2011, 14:07

Great that you're keeping the pain down..that's what it's all about :)
My 2nd fissure I hope is healed, don't feel any pain at all from that area and doc said it was really small and fresh, so hopefully it's gone by now. Now just waiting for the main wound (fissurectomy+skintag) to heal.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 Jun 2011, 14:18

That's great news about the new fissure. It's probably healed already. Now I'm sure you'll beat the larger dragon!
Deleted User 579

Postby Bambi » 28 Jun 2011, 15:56

Hope- Sorry I haven't been on as much lately and I'm glad you are having a better experience this time around!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 28 Jun 2011, 17:02

Welcome back from "the other side" and hey, we have matching asses (LIS + abscess drainage/fistulotomy) now! Ativan + Oxycodone + Daily Show sounds like a great combo hahahahaha.
Seriously, it's great that things went smoothly this time, and here's to hoping for a quick recovery for you! (P.S. Dry the ol' bum off real good after your soaks in the tub -- it helps minimize the moisture that can increase the odds of infection.)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Savaici » 29 Jun 2011, 08:40

Dear HTH! So happy that it is over for you, and that you had a good trip on the Enterprise. Hope you got to sit next to the captain. Thinking of you. I know that you will be doing all the right things. Em Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222