Suffering for 2 years now

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Suffering for 2 years now

Postby Cantlookup » 30 Jun 2011, 19:54

Hey everyone!
Ive been a long time lurker to these forums but today I finally decided to sign up to share my story and converse with others who go through the same thing.
It was 2 years ago (20 at the time) when I first noticed blood during a bowel movement with slight pain, I never went to the doctor which I know I should have.
I googled around and (stupidly) diagnosed myself with an anal fissure. I suppose Im lucky I was right.
Anyway I never thought much of it and never felt much pain for a week or 2 after. Then I had been trying to gain weight at the time and was drinking protein shakes. Well next thing I know the toilet is covered in blood. A bit graphic I know. But that was the worst bowel movement I ever had. But to this day they are still really pain full and I bleed most of the time. I went to the doctor about 2 months ago and he gave me Fybogel (40 Satchels) I've used all of them and noticed something. When I was taking them I still felt pain during a BM but 15 mins after a BM there was no pain at all. But if I dont take the Fybogel I get really bad pain for hours afterwords. I have yet to return to the doctor but lately I've been so depressed over this. Everytime I see food I like I instantly cringe because I know its gonna cause pain. I currently live at home and have not told anyone except the doctor. I am going to suggest botox to my doctor but was wondering do you just get it done and go or do you need to stay in hospital and go through a lengthily process?
I hope (like everyone here) I can return to my fissure free life soon!
Cantlookup

Topics: 1

Re: Suffering for 2 years now

Postby Guest » 30 Jun 2011, 22:32

Hi there.
Sorry you have been suffering for so long. Image
As far as I know, atleast here in the US, there is no hospital stay.
Botox isn't permanent and often more than one shot is needed. It temporarily relaxes the muscle if all goes well, and allows the fissure to heal. More than one shot may be needed (as far as I know) because once the effects wear off, the sphincter tightens back up and there's a chance of re-tearing.
There's many threads you could search through on here where others have had botox.
Many have got some temporary relief, if nothing else and later went on to have LIS. I'm sure there are people who heal. Hopefully you will at the least get some temporary relief. It can be a process of more than one round of shots, though. Hopefully others who have had botox will be able to add more. Take care:)
Here's a link I found. There are many threads on botox you may want to read. Good luck. There will be better days:)
http://anal-fissure.org/t1291-botox-poll#32955

Postby seattlesounders » 30 Jun 2011, 23:22

Cantlookup I can totally relate to the Protein shakes starting things off. I found that not drinking enough water, or fiber and the change in diet seemed to trigger the fissure for me. I recently opted for surgery, but I can tell you that a combo of Metamucil and Miralax really reduced the BM pain for me (pre-surgery). My doc was constantly telling me to drink more water but it got to the point where it felt I needed the Miralax. Can't talk to the Botox, but let us know if we can help with anything else.
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby val » 01 Jul 2011, 10:29

Sorry you have to be here Image
It sounds like you might be having spasms, if you have pain for hours afterwards. You would be more comfortable keeping things very soft, then the thought of food wouldn't make you cringe so much. You should get your doc to refer you to a colo-rectal surgeon, and maybe give you one of the relaxing creams in the meantime - Rectogesic or diltiazem.
When you say you live at home, do you mean with your parents? You really should tell somebody, I know its embarrassing, but if you have this for a while, you'll get over that! I know if my kids ever developed a fissure, I would want to know so I could help them! And if you have to have any kind of surgery you will need support and TLC!
I think LIS is better than botox , most people who have botox go on to have LIS, although I suppose it must work on some people or they wouldn't do it!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86