6 years of suffering

My fissure story

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

6 years of suffering

Postby RC23 » 26 Oct 2017, 06:39

Hi guys,

I’ve never posted on forums before, but I’ve been reading so many of your helpful posts and realised what a help this must be for so many, as it is for me. So thank you all!

I’ve had a healing and re-tearing fissure for almost 6 years now, and it’s changed my life in a big way. Work, family and social life have all suffered equally.

Sooo, I’m due to have LIS surgery in 8 days (3rd November) and I’m looking for a little encouragement! My fear isn’t about the surgery itself, or the healing period, but about the risk of not healing my fissure.

The fissure seems to be located on the left hand side of my rectum, not in the typical 12 or 6 position that most people seem to be describing. I asked the CRS why this could be, and he didn’t seem to be too worried, he just said that the LIS would be able to cure the problem regardless of position. I’m worried that if it’s not a typical fissure, maybe it won’t respond to LIS? Have any of you had this problem?

Also, when I have a BM, the pain is what I would describe as moderate only. But around 2 hours later, the REAL pain kicks in and it’s pretty debilitating for a few hours until around 2pm when it starts to die down. Is this something that you guys have experienced?

I’ve changed my diet to include a good deal of fibre, loads of water, magnesium citrate tablets and docusate sodium once a day. My stools are not really hard, except occasionally the beginning bit (although they could be feeling hard due to the discomfort and tightness of the sphincter), but the pain almost always comes at the intervals described above.

Any help would be much appreciated, it’s just nice to be able to write this down and know that somebody may read it!

Thanks in advance.

RC
RC23

Topics: 1

Re: 6 years of suffering

Postby Mypoorbutt » 26 Oct 2017, 10:54

Hi
Your pain sounds exactly like mine only mine could last 24 hours, the position of the fissure really shouldn't have an impact on your healing.
Most people heal really quickly....read Canadabums diary or ITs they both show such a positive recovery process.
Even if you don't heal straight away don't lose hope....I was in agony after LIS serious spasms for a long time but I have underlying issues, even I managed to heal by the 3/4 month mark and now very nearly a year on I'm pretty much back to normal (obvs I still have crohns and when it's flares my fissure site stings a lot) I can have alcohol again and sit at the cinema I'm back up to 62 lengths swimming 4x a week and with the help of meds have even started having the odd vegetable now and again.
It's very rare that LIS doesn't work I'm sure you will be another happy ending and textbook recovery
Please do write a diary I know mine helped me but success stories really do help others
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Re: 6 years of suffering

Postby RC23 » 26 Oct 2017, 17:56

Thank you so much for your reply. I’ve just spent some time looking at the diaries and they’re really helpful.
I’ll post about my experiences after surgery I order to hopefully help others considering having it done.
Hope you continue to recover well :-)
RC23

Topics: 1