Skin tag removal area question- again! 5 months this week..

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Skin tag removal area question- again! 5 months this week..

Postby Bambi » 11 Jul 2011, 07:18

You know this whole thing is very up and down. A couple of days ago I was going to get on and really rave about how well I was doing. All it takes is a day or two of relative normality to make me happy, I tell you! I am very pleased to say I have had no real issues indicating a fissure retear or anything like that. But where the skin tag was removed (and really then where the fissure was, I would say) is still just so easily irritated and causes such a slow start to my day. Part of that is the need for the extra clean-up an hour or so after a BM and maybe even a second time due to some very minor leakage. It is amazing how irritating that is! But the skin tag area is still pretty pink when I look down there and is extremely sensitive. We went to the hot springs on Thursday and Friday things were great! Maybe soaking in a hot springs pool for 8 hours a day is the true cure, but I don't think that will happen in reality!
I have been using Balneol and that seems to help with the "second cleanup" as I've started calling it. I always rinse off with water after. Sometimes I use a little A and D as a barrier- I have to say the jury is out.
Yesterday, I made the mistake of cleaning up in a hurry after a second BM in the afternoon- you know, I was actually trying to accomplish something and wanted to get back to it! And I poked myself with my fingernail a little. That sent me into an anxiety ridden afternoon and evening, convinced I had slit myself open. I soaked last night and put Calmoseptine on and this morning things seem a little more irritated than usual. Usually after this first morning BM, and the second cleanup and rinse, things take a little while to stop itching/burning and then things are relatively ok.
Any other thing I am not thinking of though? Or is it just a need for more patience and time. I know we have talked about this before ad infinitum but I forget all that was said. Anyone ever try a tiny bit of vinegar in a bath? I remember my mother doing that for a sunburn for me as a kid and for an itchy bottom too, I think...Unfortunately, she's not around to ask.
Bambi
And sorry if I have not responded as much lately. My husband is in his 6 weeks off of treatment, so we have gone to our cabin (no internet up there), made the day trip to the hot springs last week and are planning a trip to two other hot springs in southern Colorado later this week. I made reservations using our canceled airfare a couple of days ago to do our home exchange in Miami in early August. It was originally supposed to be a winter Florida trip, but we are happy to go whenever we can. It is essentially a "free" trip using awards on an airline from a credit card and the home exchange of our cabin. So we hate to pass it up. Hopefully, our presence will not trigger any hurricane activity!
Then Doug has his follow-up appointment on Aug. 15. Our daughter is currently buying their first home, starting her first teaching job in a month, buying a car and holding up fairly well. We are planning to be around over the next two weeks to help her and her husband as much as we can so I will try to come on and actually contribute!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: Skin tag removal area question- again! 5 months this week..

Postby Guest » 11 Jul 2011, 08:26

Hey Bambi,
I still get the irritation from the leakage too. I rinse the area after a bm just as you but it takes several clean-ups through out the day to keep it clean. I have never tried the vinegar. That's interesting. I wish my Grandma was still here and I could ask her more about home remedies. She came from a whole different world than we are in, had seven kids, only had two of those in a hospital and I'm sure knew of many home remedies.
I recently did something that worked pretty good while I was out shopping. I had some of the cotton squares and I couldn't get to the sink without making a scene to wet it so I just went in the stall and put some A&D ointment on it to clean because I was leaking( mildly) and felt the irritation. It really helped and it was easy to clean and gentle. I've been using my vaseline here at home after I rinse for extra clean up later. I don't know if that's good or bad but it glides and gets in all the creases and is gentle. I know this is all gross to explain but Image it seems to be working pretty good. Who knows if this will be the answer I'm looking for w/ the cleaning?!
It's really good to hear you have been getting out and enjoying things. I hope your husband is doing well! The hot springs pool sounds wonderful. I imagine that would be awesome to be able to do everyday,Lol.
Knock on wood- We have not had an active Hurricane season yet in Florida. It usually gets active around the end of August- September. I'm hoping we sail through it like last year!
Enjoy your time away and we miss you but it is better that you are able to enjoy life now:) I have thought about doing a NO internet for a couple of weeks in our house just to see how we all do and what other valuable things we would do with our time without it...LOL
I often wonder if all the technology isn't taking over more of our time than it should. I think it's a double edged sword,LOL...
Take care:)

Postby Deleted User 579 » 11 Jul 2011, 09:29

Hi Bambi! I'm sorry to hear that you are still struggling with leakage. And I'm sorry that I don't have any good advice to give, since you already know all the good things to do. I hope you find a few techniques that work for you.
I'm so glad you and Doug are able to get out and enjoy each other's company. Your travels sound lovely! I hope you have a great time in Florida, and I'll be thinking of you and Doug on Aug 15th and praying for good news for you guys. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Image
Deleted User 579

Postby Bambi » 11 Jul 2011, 11:35

Thanks Hope and Dawn !
I hope you all are doing ok- how are you Hope after your recent surgery? Dawn- you know that is a good idea. I think the Balneol is basically the same idea. The last couple of weeks I have used it- today is the first day it has stung when I put it on. Of course, I had a second BM after I posted and had a time set up to meet my good friend to exercise. In the middle of it, I could tell things were leaking and really starting to sting, but I didn't want to make a scene to excuse myself (it's a Curves, so you are all on the circuit together). Afterward, I used the Balneol before coming home and it stung. Didn't do much for my sanity today- I've just having a bad day here and being a baby about it. But I often then put a thin coat of A and D or vaseline on after, and it makes sense it would clean off as well. I just came home and soaked. Basically, I think I am just a little chapped down there in general. I'm sure it will be fine later and maybe I'll get in a couple of soaks later on for good measure. Generally anymore I only soak just before bed.
I do wonder about the vinegar though! It is supposed to take the "heat" out of a sunburn if you soak in a cool bath of it- that's what I remember most about it. Coming home from Padre and being burned and being put in the tub.
There are many questions I wished I had asked! And I think I've mentioned that I know my Mom had this surgery back in the 1980's. I think I'll post that story in "off topic". It is kindof funny.
Love and prayers to you guys. You make me feel better and not so crazy. I could just sit down and cry today- I think it is because Doug feels better and now am I going to be a drag on our chance to go travel. At least we are going to a hot spring- pretty good destination for now! The place we are going was featured on one of Oprah's road trips with Gail. They have pictures of them wading in the water there.
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 11 Jul 2011, 12:15

Bambi,
I would be very interested to hear about your Mothers LIS. Kind of crazy that you both have been through this.
I know the irritation can be so aggravating. It drives me nuts and is always worse with more activity. The more I walk, it's more noticeable and hurts. I am always looking for a bathroom to clean so it doesn't get raw:(
I think I have heard that milk is good for sunburn- on the skin. I can't remember where I've heard that, but I think I will google that!
Have you tried adding some baking soda to your bath water? I have done this many times when my babies had a diaper rash and it really helped. My Granny actually told me to do this and I was real young and thought she was crazy, but it worked and helped heat rash too. My girls had very sensitive skin. It may help after a few days. I always do it when It feels more irritated than usual. Those springs sound awesome!
It's so good to hear your husband is doing good. Don't let it get you down, Bambi. I know it's can be hard. I have days like this too, but it always gets better.

Postby Guest » 11 Jul 2011, 12:19

Bambi,
I read this quickly but see that white cider vinegar and milk are both good for sunburn?!
http://www.umdnj.edu/about/news_events/releases/07/r080907_GotSunburn_Get_Milk.htm

Postby Bambi » 11 Jul 2011, 12:41

Hi Dawn- I will check out your link. Yes, I do use baking soda and that is something from childhood on. When I would get itchy "down there" my Mother would put me in the bathtub and put baking soda in there. Often she would give me a little to play with as well in a little cup and she had a little tiny metal teakettle I used in there. My sister did too I suspect, and then my niece who is 32 and then my daughter. That is one of the things I brought home from my parents' house when we sold it. Maybe I should put it by the bathtub for good luck! Actually, she would give us baking soda and a little vinegar and we could make volcanos in there. But I definitely also remember the vinegar baths for sunburn, of which there were too many since I grew up in the 60s and all.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist