Im scared but desperate

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Im scared but desperate

Postby Sandi071 » 19 Jul 2011, 19:59

I have been suffering with this dang anal fissure since Feb. I had two weeks a relief, but it returned and has not gone away. I have used all my sick time at work because the pain was so bad that I had to go home and make myself comfortable and not sit on my butt for another 8 hours. I have shed tears, swallowed bottles of Aleve, Advil and Tylenol. I have an arsenal of ointments, Nitro, calcium blockers, steroids cream (that add to the burning) I am now at the point today after eating 6 Tylenol and I think 4 Advil (I have lost count) I think I need to surgery. I do not know what else I can do. the thought of a blade cutting through this pain I am already feeling makes me almost want to just live with it forever. I have shared this with my co-workers and I am sure they are sick of hearing about it, but it consumes me. My poor husband is suffering because who wants to be intimate when you feel soar and swollen. I need to get my life back before my 40th birthday in September. Tomorrow I will make the call and suck it up. I am scared though. I need courage! Image
Sandi071
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Im scared but desperate

Postby RedCharger » 19 Jul 2011, 20:52

Many on here, myself included, have been where you are. As a 11 day post LISer who has begun to get his life back I can tell you - get the surgery! I had my fissure since January and tried the cremes, muscle relaxers, 4 baths a day, oxycodone, even tried smoking weed to try and manage the 8 hours of pain that would follow a BM. None helped and my life revolved around when my next BM would be. Now that I have finally had the surgery and am past the worst part of the recovery I finally feel normal again. My surgery was done while I was awake and with nothing but local freezing. I'll be honest, it hurt like hell when the proceedure was being done but I would do it all over again to get the relief I now have.
RedCharger
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Guest » 19 Jul 2011, 22:42

Hey Sandi,
I know exactly where you are coming from. I felt the same way before my surgery 9 months ago. I couldn't understand how a cut could heal a cut and it just sounded like a horrific way to have to go to heal a fissure.
The truth is the LIS and my skin tag removed was much easier than dealing with the fissure. I was sore but nothing like the day before my surgery.
I remember no one understood the fear I had about this surgery but the folks here on this board. I researched the procedure to death and honestly I think that made me have more anxiety than necessary.
I've never regretted having the surgery. I only regretted not doing it sooner! You can do this:)
ps...I'm 41. I got my fissure right before my 40th B-day Image

Postby Sandi071 » 20 Jul 2011, 04:54

Thank you so much. I feel I am out of options. hope it goes well. I will call this morning. Who would of known that there would be a place to discuss this. to find people suffering like us. I want to post on facebook has anyone dealt with this, but no need to now. Thank you
Sandi071
Fibre Addict

Postby ren0318 » 20 Jul 2011, 07:41

Sandi, I'm having surgery on August 24th. I've suffered since Jan 2010. Mine heals, and rips over and over again. Like you I get a week or two of peace and sure enough it always happens again. Like last week when I went to see my Dr, I was in major pain due to a tear and a spasm, as of Sunday, no pain, no spasm. It makes me crazy, everytime is heals I think maybe this is it, maybe I don't need the surgery, but so far it has always come back.
My dr says I'll be put to sleep for the procedure, and sent home with pain meds and antibotics.
I know how you feel the "husband intimate" thing, that has happened with me too, you don't feel good your in a bad mood all the time, no way to live!
Please keep us posted, and good luck! Ren
ren0318
Salt Bather

Topics: 18

Postby Sandi071 » 20 Jul 2011, 09:10

I made the call today. I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow and I picked August 9th for surgery. I would of gone sooner but I need to cover vacation days at work. Its always something.
I will keep you all posted. Thanks!
Sandi071
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 20 Jul 2011, 10:00

Yay Sandi! It's great that you've got your surgery booked. LIS has given many of us our lives back. Since you will be asleep for the surgery, it will definitely be a breeze! Very soon you will be on the road to healing and putting the evil fissure behind you! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby SummerGal » 20 Jul 2011, 10:20

Good luck to you Sandi! I am having surgery next Friday (GULP!) for a fissure and fistula. I was terrified initially, but now I just want to get this over with and on my way to getting healthier. I wish you the best!
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby busymom » 20 Jul 2011, 11:29

Hey Sandi - I had just turned 40 when I got my AF. All I can say is that the surgery was the only thing that saved my sanity! Yes, it was scary. Yes, it was counterintuitive to cut in order to heal a cut. And yes, I did not want to do it. However, I am soooo glad that I did it! It has been almost 2 years and other than a small amount of very occasional itching and very small amount of occasional spotting, things are great! I know EXACTLY how you feel. You are making a very good decision! :)
busymom
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Guest » 20 Jul 2011, 12:39

Congratulations on the surgery date Sandi! I agree with busymom. You made a good decision setting this date.
I don't like to make light of the surgery because I know it can be harder for some depending on what all is done in that area, but it really was nothing like I expected. It was much easier. In my mind I had imagined it to be much worse than it was.
Busymom, your post were very comforting to me prior to my surgery. I just can't say how much I needed to hear the positive outcomes!