Had Lateral Sphincterotomy 3 days ago. Need advice please!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Had Lateral Sphincterotomy 3 days ago. Need advice please!

Postby Deleted User 579 » 29 Jul 2011, 10:41

Hi FFS - I agree with Dawn. Many of us have found that Movicol/Miralax works a lot better than other stool softeners. It's also good to use for a while even after the painful BMs stop so that you can heal better. A big thing too is the anxiety that BMs cause after surgery. I was terrified! My doc actually gave me anti-anxiety meds. Being more relaxed also helped the BMs get better.
Please don't have any regrets just yet. The first week, and especially the first few days, are the worst part of recovery. Soon you will be feeling a lot better. Do hang in there!
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 29 Jul 2011, 11:26

My surgeon told me I would hate him the next day! LOL!
You're only regretting it because it's so painful, once it gets better, the pain will be a distant memory and you'll be really glad you did it!
Movicol is great stuff!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby FreshfromSurgery » 30 Jul 2011, 17:16

Day 5 has been... painful. Still getting intense pain after bowel movements, which gradually goes down after hours. Still blood when using wc.
What I have noticed is that the pain is especially focused on an area inside (to put it bluntly!) rather than the general area (lol). I feel that something keeps getting scraped everytime I use the wc.
Yeah.. pain is eye-watering and takes me a while to calm down. I just use warm water from the shower to clean myself which is actually a bit soothing. But dear god the pain is just so bad.
Still getting some kind of clear/yellowish mucus coming out, which is odd. I think the hemoroid is calming down, but not sure about that.
On a sidenote, I think it's not right that the NHS (Britains health system) discharges people who have had this surgery immediately. Perhaps there isnt a risk enough to keep them but the pain and the distress alone would be a reason in my opinion.
Anyway! Roll on day 6 I suppose :oops:
FreshfromSurgery
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 30 Jul 2011, 17:39

Hey Freshfromsurgery.
That sounds awful. Did you just get LIS or Lis with Fissurectomy? What pain meds were you given?

Postby FreshfromSurgery » 30 Jul 2011, 17:55

Just the LIS. I was given Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and Oramorph (morphine). I have stayed off the Oramorph as I was told it can make me constipated. The other 2 are obviously not strong enough to mask the pain but I seriously dont want to risk constipation.
Also, I dont seem to understand where the cut has been made. I mean, I cant see anything visually lol. Where do they make the incision? Because Im pretty sure its inside (where Im feeling the greatest pain), which surprises me as I thought they go just outside the anus? (from surgery videos that I have seen)
FreshfromSurgery
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 30 Jul 2011, 23:00

FFS,
Everything I've read says that the incision is made in the internal anal sphincter.
http://anal-fissure.org/t2392-lis-incision-location#50923

Postby FreshfromSurgery » 31 Jul 2011, 10:43

Hi,
Day 6 today.
Pain after having a bowel movement has been reduced to just very strong pain, rather than "almost crying".
I seem to still be getting some stool leakage. Any advice on that? How long until "everything is kept in as it should"?!
Many thanks
FreshfromSurgery
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 31 Jul 2011, 16:54

It will gradually get better. Everyone's different though, so it's hard to say exactly when it will stop- if ever, but it does get much better with time. Since you are just 6 days post-op you probably still have awhile. I still get mild leakage at 9 months post-op, but it is 100% better than it was in the early days after surgery.

Postby cyn » 31 Jul 2011, 23:17

Hi
I will keep you in my prayers. I ave had a fissure for a year now and as you my whole life has been placed on hold work, social everything. Please keep me posted as I send you good thongs. Cyn
cyn
Fibre Addict

Postby FreshfromSurgery » 26 Nov 2011, 10:22

Hello everyone,
Here's an update after 4 months of having the surgery. I'll cut it to 4 parts, one for each month. I had my surgery at the end of July.
August: never have I experienced such pain before! The first 3 weeks were brutal. A lot of blood passed after each bowel movement, and incredible pain that went away after 2-3 hours. The major problem was infection and so I had to go on antibiotics which reduced the problem dramatically. After taking the antibiotics, pain dramatically fell after 3-4 days. Before that, I couldnt even leave my room.
There was quite a bit of stool leakage and a lot of yellowish/whitish fluid coming out. Also I had 2-3 hemoroids that took about a month to disappear. Blood became occassional. I saw the CRSurgeon a month later and was told I am on my way to recovery.
September: Pain was reduced to lasting about an hour after going to the toilet (I only squat by the way). The actual pain from the fissure was long gone, as I was dealing with this "new-found" pain from the incision. I managed to go on a 3-week holiday but this was a semi-disaster as I had to strain during traveling and I damaged the area, resulting to a couple of hemoroid and I believe I ripped open the incision wound. Took 2 weeks for that to heal again.
October: Pretty good but pain was still there. Same as always, I would go for a bowel movement, pain occured and it would take about an hour for it to calm down. For some reason I now found it impossible to keep the area clean with just toilet paper so I have to use the shower everytime, and have done since the day of my surgery. However, I always have this yellowish fluid coming out.
November: I saw the CRSurgeon again for my last checkup and was told I still have infection. That explains the pain and the fluids. I am on a 7 day course of antibiotics now.
Overall: Compared to what it was with the fissure, it is bearable for the simple fact that the pain goes away A LOT sooner. I feel that I have been kind of unlucky with the infection as it has clearly hindered the healing process.
Some notes:
Stools come out A LOT easier, barely any strain is involved which is good.
Area still painful, but only where the incision has been done. I suppose once those liquids stop seeping out, it would be an indication that the infection has stopped. Only time and the antibiotics will tell.
Will update once I see significant progress.
Thanks
FreshfromSurgery
Fibre Addict