Had Lateral Sphincterotomy 3 days ago. Need advice please!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Had Lateral Sphincterotomy 3 days ago. Need advice please!

Postby StevePain » 26 Nov 2011, 14:24

FreshfromSurgery wrote:On a sidenote, I think it's not right that the NHS (Britains health system) discharges people who have had this surgery immediately. Perhaps there isnt a risk enough to keep them but the pain and the distress alone would be a reason in my opinion.

I know what you mean, I had my surgery 15 months ago, I had the op around 12:30 and was sent home at 2:00 with Ibuprofen, Metronidazole, Fybogel sachets and a pack inside my arse and no clear instructions on what to expect or do.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby FreshfromSurgery » 26 Nov 2011, 15:05

Metronidazole,
That's the stuff I have been prescribed now.
How was your experience? Any infections/ complications?
Believe it or not, I was given 0 antibiotics to begin with. Just ibuprofen, paracetamol and a stool softener...
I really hope that the Metronidazole clears this up because if it does I would be effectively 100% healed.
FreshfromSurgery
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby MattMecham » 26 Nov 2011, 23:58

Mr. Fresh, your ordeal sounds horrible, both pre-op and post-op! I had a fissure for about three years that would hit me hard and heavy for three months (give or take a week), and then go away for a few months, and then come right back, worse than ever. I finally bit the bullet and had the surgery in March of 2011, and it was a breeze. I hope you don't feel I'm rubbing your face in it, but it is very important for people who read these posts to know that your experience with LIS is the exception, not the rule. Most people have no trouble at all with LIS. I am 8 months pre-op, and have not had one ounce of fissure-pain since I woke up from surgery (though I was sore for about a day and a half, like I had a bruise on my ass).
Again, I am so sorry for your predicament -- my prayers are with you. It sounds like if you can get that infection under control, your recovery will be much, much smoother. Good luck, pal.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby StevePain » 29 Nov 2011, 15:23

My experience on the Metronidazole was pretty bad, it gave me the bad shits that burnt like hell and stomach pain, but they are the holy grail of antibiotics for fighting infection, once you start the course make sure you finish them off no matter how unpleasant things are
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45