Had Lateral Sphincterotomy 3 days ago. Need advice please!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Had Lateral Sphincterotomy 3 days ago. Need advice please!

Postby FreshfromSurgery » 28 Jul 2011, 19:23

Hello everyone.
I am a 29 year old male and had surgery 3 days ago for an anal fissure that I had for almost 3 years. Obviously I felt very uncomfortable for the first couple of days after the op but nothing compared to what happened today: my first bowel movement.
It was so painful that I thought I would pass out. Fresh blood came out but I remembered that the doctor mentioned that this would happen. But the pain was just unbelievable.
I just want to ask: Is this expected from post-surgery? Also I have a couple of fresh hemoroids, which i definately didnt have there before the operation. So I'm guessing thats also because the area there gets inflamed? But my real worry is the ridiculous amount of pain when passing a stool. Please someone tell me that this will gradually reduce Image
FreshfromSurgery
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Had Lateral Sphincterotomy 3 days ago. Need advice please!

Postby Guest » 28 Jul 2011, 21:17

Hey there,
It can be rough few days for some but it does gradually get better as time passes. I had a pretty easy recovery but I was still sore. It takes a couple of weeks or more for most folks to feel pretty good.
Are you taking a stool softener? It's not uncommon for stools to be a little harder after surgery and while taking pain meds. Since it's been 3 days since your surgery and this is your first bm I would imagine it was a little harder which could have caused some pain.
Many of us here take miralax or some other stool softener while recovering. It really is a must if you are taking pain meds to prevent hard stools or constipation.
I wouldn't worry about a small amount of blood this soon post-op. That's pretty normal. The inflamation/ hemms could be a result of the surgery/trauma and probably will get better. Taking warm baths a few times a day or more will help with the healing and swelling.
Hang in there. The first few days are the worst and it will get better!
Don't hesitate to ask any questions!

Postby Guest » 28 Jul 2011, 21:23

Ps..
FFS,
I'm sure you probably already know this since you have suffered with a fissure for so long, diet is really key to healing even after surgery for awhile. You still need to avoid foods that can cause harder bm's like dairy, meat and sharp foods that don't digest well and can scrape coming out.

Postby FreshfromSurgery » 29 Jul 2011, 02:55

Thanks for the replies!
I just got out of bed (live in England) and since my bowel movement last night it is still very sore.
Yes I am pretty much eating soup everyday and plenty of water. I think the painkillers made me constipated and havent taken any since... Image Im going to call the hospital and my GP and see what they say.
FreshfromSurgery
Fibre Addict

Postby marymint » 29 Jul 2011, 07:19

Take heart - had my surgery 11 days ago and things do get better. I have no pain at all now just a feeling of raw soreness.Perhaps I am still healing ? I can cope with this after what I have been through. Good luck ( I too am from the UK )
Last edited by marymint on 29 Jul 2011, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: additional information
marymint

Postby val » 29 Jul 2011, 08:36

Hi there,
it might be a good idea to pop a painkiller half an hour before a bm- it doesn't hurt so much then. And I second what Dawn says - stool softeners are a must after surgery. Hang in there, it does get better!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby FreshfromSurgery » 29 Jul 2011, 08:50

thanks for the replies!
My GP and the hospital both came back to me today. Basically they assured me that it is part of the deal. But honestly, I did not expect such ridiculous amount of pain.
It is day 4 for me now. I have had 2 bowel movements. I seem to be getting some level of incontinence, just a bit though, did you have that as well? No blood in today's stools so I suppose thats something.
FreshfromSurgery
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 29 Jul 2011, 08:57

Hi FFS! I'm so sorry you had such a painful BM experience. I wholeheartedly agree with Dawn and Val: stool softeners are an absolute must, especially if you take painkillers. I understand why you would avoid the painkillers, but you can take them as long as you also use a good stool softener too. Many of us here use Miralax/Movicol. I used it before and after my surgery and it really helped keep the stools soft, which is also important for healing. After the first few days I switched from the heavy-duty painkillers to an OTC muscle relaxant (we have Robaxecet in Canada) and Ibuprofen. Also, remember not to push. Instead take nice deep yoga breaths.
I'm not sure what you are counting as incontinence, but I know that many of us had a bit of difficulty controlling gas and even BMs for the first few days. A bit of leakage is also not uncommon. That should improve as the shock to the butt goes away and things settle down.
The BMs do get easier! I hope you have a less painful day today.
Deleted User 579

Postby FreshfromSurgery » 29 Jul 2011, 09:08

Yes, the doctor told me to use Lactulose 15ml twice a day and plenty of water to assure the stools are as soft as possible.
I cant wait for this mess to go away and I can finally have a pain free day after 3 years!!! I must admit that after the first BM I regretted having surgery. I must hang in there! Image
FreshfromSurgery
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 29 Jul 2011, 10:34

FFS,
I would ditch the lactulose, get some Movicol/Miralax and definitely take the pain meds along with it. It will get better! It's all about controlling the pain and soft, formed bm's.
Do hang in there! Image