New to the forum

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to the forum

Postby Phil » 01 Aug 2011, 15:16

I only discovered this forum last week and, after reading a few of your posts, thought this is the support and information that I need. So, here I am!
I was only diagnosed with a fissure at the end of last year, but have been in great pain and discomfort for many years. Of course, being a bloke, I did nothing about it. Not through embarassment, I just did nothing about it.
I have one large fissure that gives me grief. The pain, at times, makes me feel faint and nauseas. GP prescribed Rectalgesic last year, but I found the side effects were horrible. The headaches were terrible and the ointment did nothing to aid healing, so I had a sore butt and a sore head!
Currently I'm on Diltiazem cream and Anusol for the pain. The trouble is they both sting like crazy when I apply them. Back to the GP in a couple of weeks to give him some feedback and see where we go from there.
Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all and hope that I can provide support as well as gaining it from this valuable forum.
Phil

Topics: 1

Re: New to the forum

Postby Deleted User 579 » 01 Aug 2011, 15:54

Hi Phil - Image I'm sorry you have been in such pain for so many years! you've come to the right place - we know your pain!
I would definitely stop the Anusol asap. Many of us were given hemmie ointments with cortisone and it just made the problem a lot worse. Have you gotten a referral to a colorectal surgeon? If not I really recommend that you see one asap. GPs can be very nice, but they really don't know very much about fissures. A CRS is the person you want to see - s/he will be able to help you get proper treatment, be it ointments, botox or surgery.
Since you've likely had this fissure for a few years, and you've been using ointments for a while, I think there's a dinstinct possibility that surgery or botox might be the next step. I didn't get the botox treatment, but others here have and maybe they can chime in. I had a lateral internal sphincterotomy (LIS) and that healed my fissure. An LIS is considered the gold standard treatment. There are potential complications, but as surgeries go, they are fairly rare. Many of us here got the surgery and it gave us our lives back. I really, really think you should ask your GP to refer you to a good CRS before your appointment in a few weeks. You don't have to suffer for so long! :D
There are lots of great people here who are happy to share their experiences, answer questions and just generally sympathize!
Deleted User 579

Re: New to the forum

Postby Guest » 01 Aug 2011, 17:10

Welcome Phil. You've come to a good place for support!
I second everything Hopetoheal has said! :)