I bow down to all of you...

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

I bow down to all of you...

Postby Bottominal Blues » 01 Aug 2011, 16:39

Well, after 2 good days I got cocky. Yes, I assumed that I must know better than all you veterans, that my magical fibre cure must be THE ONE. And then, well, I do remember reading how this is an up and down, good and bad situation. Okay. Everyone was right. I will forever more swallow my pride and carefully "digest" everything I read on this forum. Back to square one of my plan to find the miracle "cure". My doctor says I need to give nature a bit longer (it has been over 2 months) as he is not ready to give me a script for anything like Nitro. So natural I go. My respect for all of you who have been on this roller coaster for ages. And all your wisdom is appreciated.
Bottominal Blues
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: I bow down to all of you...

Postby Guest » 01 Aug 2011, 17:03

Hey BB,
I battled my fissure for 8 months. I wish there was a miracle cure, but in the end LIS was my miracle cure! Lol.
I'm kind of surprised that your CRS won't give you one of the fissure ointments(nitro) since your fissure is considered chronic after 6 weeks. I've noticed that most folks on this board who healed with the ointments(which are few) seem to have started using them while there fissures were pretty new- in the acute phase.
Believe me when I say I tried everything under the sun and avoided anything I knew could hurt my fissure and still couldn't heal it Image
The best you can do is keep up the good diet to make the pain as manageable as you can...:)

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 01 Aug 2011, 18:11

Hey BB,
No worries, we've all been there before Image I'm positive nearly all of us have gone through the "c'mon there MUST be an easy way to fix this" thought train at some point haha. Unfortunately, as many of us have found out the hard way (and often after much trial-and-error before being convinced), while there may be a quick 'n easy fix in some lucky cases, more often than not, there isn't :( "Up and down" is probably the most accurate way to describe dealing with fissures...
I also FULLY agree with Dawn here:
Dawn wrote:I'm kind of surprised that your CRS won't give you one of the fissure ointments(nitro) since your fissure is considered chronic after 6 weeks. I've noticed that most folks on this board who healed with the ointments(which are few) seem to have started using them while there fissures were pretty new- in the acute phase.

After 2 months, it's honestly time to stop messing around and get some fissure-appropriate treatment in place. IMO you have the best chance at beating a fissure non-surgically in the first few months. The longer it's been there, the harder it is to resolve without surgery.
Personally, I'd either demand one of the ointments or see a CRS who will prescribe nitro, diltiazem, or nifedipine. None of these is a guaranteed fix, either, but will at least give you the best shot without surgery.
Also, my personal opinion is that an effective stool softener is just as important -- if not MORE important -- than the ointments when it comes to managing fissure pain and discomfort. So with that in mind: does "go natural" mean without ANYTHING, including stool softeners? Or does that just mean no ointments? The difference is subtle but can make a big difference when dealing with a fissure.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Deleted User 579 » 02 Aug 2011, 07:33

Hey BB - I argee with Dawn and NG. Two months is a long time to let 'nature' do the job. If ointments are going to work, they need to be used when the fissure is still in the acute phase. I would definitely demand fissure ointments at this point. Are you already seeing a CRS? If not then I definitely think you should get a referral to a good CRS, and if so, then I would also get a second opinion from another CRS.
We all get cocky, so you're not alone there either! Image I came here looking for a quick cure initially and it took me a long time to accept what the wise folks here kept saying: there is no quick fix and healing requires a lot of patience!
Deleted User 579