Doing OK nearly 5 months after surgery!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Doing OK nearly 5 months after surgery!

Postby alpinestrawberry » 01 Aug 2011, 23:13

Hey fellow AF-ers. I haven't been on here in quite awhile...partly because I know that as soon as I proclaim to the world that I'm doing great, a retear will strike from out of nowhere!
Anyway, I think I'm doing alright. I had an episode a few weeks ago where it kind of felt like I tore, anyway I felt a bit sore for a day or two after this one BM, but there wasn't any bleeding at all, which has never been the case for me in the past. I mean there's always, always been bleeding no matter how small the tear. So I think the overall trend is that I seem to be getting better, and I hope that continues. The last time I definitely had a tear was over two months ago now, and I haven't even been taking any Miralax lately.
I don't think I'll ever have any fun pooping again, though...I still feel nervous about BMs and wonder if I always will. Then I get nervous about being nervous, just worrying that my anxiety will make me tense those muscles and cause myself another tear. I'm sure there's plenty of you on here that can relate.
My main issue now is just occasional irritation. I wish there was some sort of miracle cream that would take care of that but I think we're all different when it comes to finding what works. I've tried a few, including wheatgrass cream, A&D, and the diaper rash ointment my CRS office recommends. I wonder about Calmoseptine. But the makers could have packaged that stuff a little better!!! It's a huge tube and it's got the word ANAL all over it...no points for subtlety there. I'd like something a little more innocent looking for my bathroom shelf.
Anyway, here's hoping I continue to get better and better...and I hope the same for everyone who's suffering now, like I was. Image
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Re: Doing OK nearly 5 months after surgery!

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 01 Aug 2011, 23:39

Hey there, congrats on your repaired rear and attempting the "reverse jinx" Image It's great to hear that things are going well! No Miralax is awesome! Image
My irritation took a long time to die down. Maybe yours will with time too! I'm still taking Miralax, so you're already way ahead of the curve compared to a lot of us :)
And hey ... what's wrong with the word "anal" everywhere ... I see it every time I type anything into my browser hahahahaha.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Deleted User 579 » 02 Aug 2011, 07:23

Hey Alpine! It's nice to hear from you! :D Thanks so much for updating us. It really helps to know how folks are doing. I'm sorry to hear that you are still having some irritation. But hopefully it will diminish over time, as it did with NG. I'm so happy that you are doing so alright (I'm not going to say that I'm healed either because I don't want to draw attention from the Evil Ass Demon!) It'll take quite a while to enjoy a good BM for me too; but one day I'm sure we will enjoy it again.
I hope you are having a great day! Image
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 02 Aug 2011, 08:04

Hey Alpine,
congrats and I hope your healing continues! I still haven't stopped the Miralax so your ahead of me there too. I know what you mean about tensing up with a poop. I worry about it too and I still do it often. I wonder if that will ever go away completely?!
I'm 9 months post-op and the irritation has been a struggle but seems to get noticeably better with each passing month. I think it's the best it's been just recently.
Take care!

Postby desperatehousewife » 03 Aug 2011, 09:50

Congrats Alpine! So glad to hear you are doing well:)
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby alpinestrawberry » 05 Aug 2011, 08:35

Thanks everyone for your kind replies! I do want to keep you updated, it's just taking a long time to reach the final outcome, but that's the way it is with this surgery.
When I look at the big picture, like Dawn has always said--weeks rather than days--I realize that going over 2 months with no Miralax and no tear is something I couldn't have done before the surgery!
When I was really suffering I read as much as I could on this board, and I really needed closure, good or bad, for people's stories. It drove me nuts when someone would say they were still having trouble after surgery and their last post was like two years old. I just hope my story can help encourage someone who's desperate and at the end of their rope like I was.
I am so grateful to this board for all the info, support, and encouragement I've gotten...I couldn't have made it through without all of you. Image
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 05 Aug 2011, 09:16

I know what you mean about reading through the old posts and really wanting closure, wonder what happened to those who were still struggling after surgery ... Thanks so much for coming back to give us an update. That will definitely help newbies!
I couldn't have gotten through my ordeal without you - so thank you too for all your help and support. I hope you continue to feel good and that everything gets better for you everyday. You certainly deserve to have a wonderful life! Image
Deleted User 579

Postby alpinestrawberry » 23 Aug 2011, 09:16

.....Sooooo....
I was doing so well, (and I'm doing fine again, now)! But a few days ago I had some pain and bleeding again thanks to a bad BM. However, it healed very quickly, and it's not a total mystery what caused it.
I had a delicious crab remoulade sandwich and I now know that while I can get away with occasional popcorn, roasted corn has got sharp edges and that's another matter. That may be a meal that requires a Miralax cocktail libation. Shoot.
Anyway, you all know the anxiety and depression seeing a little blood can bring. It makes you think you're going to revert back to the pattern of things getting worse and worse and worse instead of better and better. I have to stop thinking like that--cutting the sphincter should give permanent results. And so what if I have to keep Miralax in my cabinet for the rest of my life! Plenty of people have worse situations than that.
If I can't be completely cured, at least maybe this situation can be reduced to nothing more than an occasional annoyance. I can live with that.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby val » 23 Aug 2011, 09:35

It's horrid that it keeps rearing its ugly head, and you cant get completely back to normal without dreading everything you eat!
At least you know what caused it and got back on track!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Bambi » 23 Aug 2011, 16:24

I have still not attempted popcorn yet and don't know if I can go there yet. At this time of year in Colorado, we usually go out in the country and get sweet corn, but this year I can't really face that either. I've always had a lot of cramping the next day and loose stools from that, but in the past it was not a big deal. Nowadays I just don't want to have to deal with that! In spite of that, I'm having a day of loose stools and don't even know why. As a result, I have a little bit of chapping- probably because I posted that I was better yesterday!
But things are on an upward curve for me after a month or two of a plateau. Have others had that happen?
I didn't realize that I wasn't the only one so scared to pronounce myself better!
I do have to confess that one night last week I had one of those BMs that could almost be described as "pleasurable"- wasn't sure that I would ever be able to say that again- and never really thought of it all that much before this happened!
My husband was quoting someone the other day- I don't know who- and it was "Sex is overrated. There's nothing in life as satisfying as a good bowel movement."
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72