Salt, Alchol, Tomatoes,Chocolate & Caffine

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Salt, Alchol, Tomatoes,Chocolate & Caffine

Postby IMPERFECTASSHOLE » 04 Aug 2011, 12:47

I'd love to know how these food items affect AF's---I had a tomato sandwich yesterday & was in so much pain from BURNING a few hours later....Could it have been the tomatoes? I've been hearng that these foods are no good to AF's. What are definate NO NO & what can I eat safely?
IMPERFECTASSHOLE
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Salt, Alchol, Tomatoes,Chocolate & Caffine

Postby PaulsPain » 04 Aug 2011, 19:54

Tomatoes are wayyyyyy to acidic for me. I definitely have had issues after eating raw tomatoes or tomato sauce. I only can sneak a slice here and there.....
All the things you listed are not good for AF - acidic or could cause hard BM. If you just got the fissure I would go on a AF strict diet for the best hope of healing it conservatively.
Caffeine is bad since it is acts like a diuretic. I used to be a huge coffee drinker before my rear end issues started. I found that I would just drink coffee in the morning without much water. So I would always have these BM that started hard and then turned soft - complete torture with an active fissure. I discovered it was the fact that I was not drinking water and the coffee was sucking it out of me which made it even worse. I still have about a 1/2 cup(~4 oz) in the morning now with a large glass of water. This has worked well for me.
Part of it will be experimenting with food that you can and cannot eat. For a long time I kept a food diary and also rated my pain for that morning BM. This helped me analyze what food I maybe should avoid. Diet is one of the most frustrating parts since it can correlate directly to pain.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby itpainsme » 04 Aug 2011, 23:38

Interesting, I have been eating tomatoes all along and not thinking a thing about them. I guess that should be something I eat less of. I have been avoiding caffeine and alcohol because they can make your stools dry and hard. I also avoid nuts and seeds for fear of them being too hard or sharp. It is a shame, because I love nuts and they are a healthy snack otherwise. I also avoid beef. The only meat I eat right now is chicken and I eat that in moderation. What is it about the chocolate though?
itpainsme
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Geoff_M » 06 Aug 2011, 07:01

I think that chocolate also contains caffeine, so acts like coffee. I am not sure how much there is in each relatively though...
Geoff_M
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby rosey » 10 Aug 2011, 12:39

I still can' believe there is a forum on the internet for our problem.
I have totally changed my diet as of yesterday since mine came back with a plan to haunt me.
Going back to the doctor tomorrow. I am eating nothing but whole grains, water and no BEEF. Chicken or Fish only. Gosh....maybe this unwanted weight will finally come off. I am fearing the doctor tomorrow.
rosey
Fibre Addict

Postby IMPERFECTASSHOLE » 10 Aug 2011, 13:39

I'm so thankful that there is this forum for us who suffer---We KNOW each others pain--Misery Loves company! I've gotten terrific advise & comforting words--It sure HELPS!! My diet is Oatmeal & fruit-breakfast, Yogurt or egg whites- lunch, & soup & veggies dinner. TONS OF WATER . Yeah I've lost those unwanted lbs---What a way to lose!! I wish you a pain free day!!
IMPERFECTASSHOLE
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby kristiblue » 11 Aug 2011, 08:46

I am eating nothing but soft foods. Steamed high fiber veggies and steamed chicken to the point its really tender.I did have some roast beef BUT in deli sliced thin form. I fear food! Now. :( I will miss my sharp foods like pretzel,nuts and especially PIZZA! But losing a few lbs is good.
kristiblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby dwarfs8 » 29 Aug 2011, 09:19

Why is salt bad? For me tomatoes is not a problem I think.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Sika » 12 Sep 2011, 05:15

oh dear ... running out of food options. I'm eating gluten-free bread - is this still hard to digest? Tomatoes are a staple for me (usually as a base for all the soups I will be eating!). Do you mean the acidity leads to stinging or it makes BM harder?
Sika
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 12 Sep 2011, 07:04

Hey Sika,
As Paul said, tomatoes can be too acidic for some. They won't cause harder Bm's. You may not have a problem with them though. I think fresh tomatoes would cause more problems then stewed or cooked down. I ate tomatoes in soup right after surgery and I didn't have any problems. I was just too scared to even try them before with my fissure. I was pretty much afraid to eat anything...