how safe is miralax?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

how safe is miralax?

Postby koolkat330 » 07 Aug 2011, 09:28

hi everyone :)
been having AF for about a year now, on and off. the only thing that seems to help is a full capful of miralax a day. when im on it, my BMs are painless since it just comes right out. but every time i try to wean myself off of it (over the course of a month or two or three when im pretty sure the fissure has healed), more fissures/hemmies form as the dosage is reduced. i've been on miralax pretty much for a year now... is that safe? i feel like i'm going to be on miralax forever, and i feel like that can't be healthy! i also tried weaning off miralax by eating benefiber and docusate sodium, but those dont nearly soften as much as i need (that "hard tipped stool" kills me). also, i feel less of a need to "go" when i'm not on miralax.. so i tend not to do every day, which results in harder stools
has anyone experienced this? any advice? :(
koolkat330

Topics: 3

Re: how safe is miralax?

Postby val » 07 Aug 2011, 10:35

Some people take miralax/movicol for years. If I needed to take it for years, then I would do. You do have to drink loads with it though or it can cause kidney problems.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby kristiblue » 10 Aug 2011, 09:01

I just got my first bottle of it yesterday. So far I havent GONE. So I have no idea what to expect.
kristiblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby rosey » 10 Aug 2011, 22:18

I've never heard of Miralax. I will look into it if I need to. I just take 3 Colace every day and drink metimucil. Lots of water and now a high fiber diet. I hope to wean off of the Colace soon. We'll see what kind of news my doctor has for me tomorrow.
I still need to verify it is an AF. I've had one in the past and it is similar but, just more blood than I've seen before. So Scared
rosey
Fibre Addict

Postby kristiblue » 12 Aug 2011, 08:30

My Miralax took a day or 2 to kick in. I think it has done wonders. Def try it. I wouldnt take any more pills than Im already on cuz to me,they are a hard/sharp object. Thats just me and my new food fear. Im sure they dissolve but for me if isnt soft I "aint" putting it in my mouth. :)
kristiblue
Salt Bather

Postby busybrooke3 » 12 Aug 2011, 09:58

Hi LoolKat,
I've been on 17grams of Miralas 2x a day since June1st. My doctor told me that I will become dependent on it and that he would have to help me ween off of it when the time comes. I had fissurectomy, hemroids removed and botox injections 1 1/2 weeks ago. Now I have had to add more stool softners to my daily intake to keep the wound from ripping open. I am concerned about being dependent on it. It really helps soften the stool, but you should talk to your doctor before you start. Good luck!
busybrooke3
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 12 Aug 2011, 22:33

Brooke, My CRS doesn't even know I take it. She told me not to, that it's a laxative. I am so nervous about stopping it completely. I've taken it for nine months and I'm sure my bowels are somewhat dependant on it. Please let us know what approach your CRS takes to wean you off of it.
I have slowly reduced it since LIS , but I do worry about stopping completely. I started w/one capful and now take less than 1/2 a capful. I reduced it very slowly...

Postby kristiblue » 13 Aug 2011, 07:10

Wow are u serious? This wonderful stuff is addictive? I can see y I guess it does promote a perfect BM. Its kinda pricey so If I become "hooked" well then so be it. I will have a Miralax fund.
kristiblue
Salt Bather

Postby busybrooke3 » 13 Aug 2011, 09:07

Dawn - I will let you know what he tells me next Wednesday at my 2- week check up. It's good that you are down to only 1/2 cap full a day. I'm taking 2 caps full a day. I have noticed at night after taking it along with stool softners, and going to bed I get very shakey and my heart beats very fast. This has been going on for a while, but since I have a history of heart palpatations, I'm not sure if its related to the Miralax. I am wondering about kidney damage or electrolyte imbalance due to taking so much of this, the symptoms match up. I am also going to ask him about that.
busybrooke3
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 15 Aug 2011, 19:22

Thanks Brooke! I've thought about the electrolyte imbalance too. I don't have any symptoms with the Miralax though. Every once in a great while, I will feel kind of nauseated if I haven't ate, but again it rarely happens.
I'm curious if we could actually be at risk for loosing electrolytes with 1-2 normal bm's a day or if you would be more at risk- if the Miralax is causing you diarrhea.
It seems to me that would be the case. Just like when you have a
stomach virus?!