Morning, new and due sugery in 12 days but unsure?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Morning, new and due sugery in 12 days but unsure?

Postby Di » 18 Aug 2011, 23:05

Ok good advise ty.
One question though..my doctor said i should be fine to go back to work 10 days after surgery...now im worried i wont be able to from what i have read...hummm??
any thoughts on this??
Ty
Di xx
Di
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby val » 19 Aug 2011, 04:38

Well, it depends what kind of work you do! It should be ok if you are just doing light stuff - don't lift anything. And take it easy. You'll get very tired and most probably still be hurting. And you'll have all the palava of the soaking it a few times a day.
Go back when you feel ready, and not before - if you're allowed to of course!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 579 » 19 Aug 2011, 06:50

Hi again Di - I agree with Val. You should be ok if you aren't expected to do a lot of physical labour and especially lifting heavy things. I read your other post and I will say that I like your surgeon - he gave you a much more reasonable timeline for recovery than many give their patients. I think 14 days sounds about right, but if you don't push yourself too hard and take it very easy for the first week, then 10 days may be just fine. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby Di » 20 Aug 2011, 03:11

Yet again, your posts helped...im hoping i will be good to go in the 10days but i will see how things go.
I work in a school, im a teaching assistant but have taken a job as a food techician as most of the TA jobs are temp and this one is perm but im really looking forward to it. Its a short 10 min walk but i doubt i will be walking for a while :(
Di x
Di
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby dwarfs8 » 26 Aug 2011, 23:13

"The LIS healed my fissure, but unfortunately the incision site closed too quickly, which caused a low, superficial fistula."
my GOODNESS! after 4 months of healing and re-tearing of my fissures, i'm finally considering about the LIS, but now there's the risk of fistula? GOODNESS. So, HOW DO I PREVENT SUCH THING FROM HAPPENING?
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Deleted User 579 » 27 Aug 2011, 06:45

Hi dwarfs8 - I'm sorry I freaked you out! Please don't let this worry you too much. An abscess is a possible complication from an LIS, but it is not so very common. The fistula developed from an abscess, but it was very superficial and minor surgery corrected it. This is not unheard of, but it's also not so common either. I still definitely do not regret the LIS. The fissure was so painful and debilitating that I could not have gone on with it. The fistula wasn't nearly as painful and the surgery seems to have fixed it nicely.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how I could have avoided it - I think it was mostly just bad luck. But the one thing I would probably do differently is I would have had baths (my surgeon told me not to soak, but just have showers).
Please don't worry! As I said, this complication is not so common, and when it does happen, it can be fixed. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 27 Aug 2011, 08:39

I actually was freaked out by the thought of LIS and left my fissure for 7 months - and it developed a fistula! So, it's just one of those unfortunate things that happen.
Then in june this year, 3 years after my LIS I developed another fistula from a retear of the fissure. So they happen for different reasons. I personally don't think there is any rhyme or reason for them in most cases. They just happen
Just be aware of any changes, or any signs of infection.
val
King Fissure

Postby dwarfs8 » 28 Aug 2011, 00:35

thanks val and hopetoheal... i'm so grateful that i login to this forum and get to have encouragements here! It's a very tough road to walk on... esp, no one really understands even my hubby or family
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Postby val » 28 Aug 2011, 10:15

I suppose we can't really blame our families for not understanding - who would have thought that a tiny cut could cause so much agony!
Can you imagine our own reaction if one of our family members were rolling around screaming in agony and wishing to die over a papercut on their finger!!
val
King Fissure

Postby dwarfs8 » 28 Aug 2011, 17:53

Haha, that is one funny illustration Val :D I can still rem when I first got the fissure, I was crying out in pain on my bed and my hubby asked if I need to go a&e!
dwarfs8
King Fissure