Post Surgery Question - to sit or not to sit...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post Surgery Question - to sit or not to sit...

Postby fissurepaingy » 16 Aug 2011, 14:25

I posted earlier this week that I've had my fissurectomy and fistulotomy surgery on 8-11 and I'm doing great. No pain, and some minor discomfort. I've been wearing pads in my underwear to catch whatever blood/discharge may come out. I will say it is very discouraging to be feeling so well with little pain, and then see blood down there when I look at the pad... but they did tell me at the hospital that I will see some minor bleeding as the wounds heal. I wanted to ask you guys... I've been avoiding sitting completely, I either lay on my side or my back and not put pressure down there... This is getting very tiresome though. They told me at the hospital not to fear sitting and that resuming normal activities won't affect the healing process... but I'm still so nervous to sit! I feel like if I stay off of it as much as possible then it will speed along the healing process. Or am I babying it too much? I've been good with 3 sitz baths per day and keeping the area dry/clean. I don't know if the people at the hospital realize what we who have had fissures have been through and the desire we have to get better! Any advice on sitting would be great!
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Post Surgery Question - to sit or not to sit...

Postby val » 16 Aug 2011, 14:47

Well, you could try sitting and see how much it hurts! It might ache and then throb when you get up. Perhaps just sit for a little while to give you a break from lying on your side.
I had fistula surgery and sat on it gingerly after a couple of days.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 579 » 16 Aug 2011, 15:08

I don't think some sitting will cause any trouble with healing, but you should really listen to your body. If it hurts, don't sit yet. If it's a bit uncomfortable, just sit for a short time. I didn't sit up much at all for the first two weeks after my fistulotomy, but I started sitting a bit more each week beginning in week three and things have been going okay.
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 16 Aug 2011, 16:01

Don't be discouraged by the blood FP. You had some major work down there and it's all normal. It's very early post-op!
I didn't set for a little over two weeks. Not sure if I could have but just didn't want too. I tried to lean toward my right side a lot when I did set (I had the tag removed from the left )for quite sometime while my fissure was healing. I drove 3 at weeks so I know I was setting for longer periods by then. You could try as Val said and listen to your body but I wouldn't set for extended periods of time. I just read some of the others recoveries on here and the ones who stayed off their bottom seemed to fair well with their recovery. The CRS never told me not to sit though.