New here, 22 y/o male, desperately want to be normal again

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New here, 22 y/o male, desperately want to be normal again

Postby rustyelf » 26 Aug 2011, 21:46

I have had my fissure for around 9 months, and haven't seen a doctor yet... but I have a visit with a colorectal surgeon on Tuesday. I have been taking fiber, stool softeners, but it doesn't ever really heal. I am scared to death that it may require surgery. I am desperate though! I just want to be normal. It's funny how many things we take for granted.
Anyway, I feel like my fissure is pretty bad since I've had it for 9 months and it hasn't gotten better. Is there still a possibility that it will heal without surgery? Also, does anyone have any advice on my upcoming doctor's visit?
Thank you everyone and I am glad to be here on the forum, even if I hate the reason why.
rustyelf
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: New here, 22 y/o male, desperately want to be normal again

Postby dwarfs8 » 26 Aug 2011, 23:23

i have it for 4 months alr! and the healing has been ups and downs, almost to the finishing line, only to be thrown back to square one recently... Am considering abt LIS too.
It is possible to heal on our own i read, cos i have read up from numerous forums, but the thing is there's a lot of factors contributing to it i guess. And it happens on minority of the lucky people out there i feel.
LIS stands a better chance for people like us who kept recurring, but of cos there's risks involved with it too. Read more about it and prepare mentally before you make the decision. I'll update here again if i have made the decision.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby dwarfs8 » 26 Aug 2011, 23:30

meanwhile, do make sure that your stools are soft. You don't have to keep using OTC stool softeners, you can also try something natural, such as prune juice, magnesium supplements, high fiber diet (not too much, else bulky) and also apply vit e oil and aloe vera after sitz bath (v impt step as this will help relax ur spasms at the anus and therefore improve the blood circulation). Remember definitely NOT TO STRAIN even if u feel that the stools are firmer then usual. If firmer and u have difficulty, try to pull it back using ur muscles and do ur sitz bath first. After that, drink some warm water and try take a stroll. For me, the warm water seems to relubricate the stools. It's important to BREATHE DEEPLY and let your muscles do their job naturally. Don't push if you do not have enough urge. Wait till u have enough urge. This is what i read from one of the sufferer, and it helps me a lot.
Try let ur body heal by itself. If reoccuring becomes a norm (like me), u may start considering surgery....
Sigh, tat said, i AM STILL CONSIDERING.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Ramchandra Salunke » 27 Aug 2011, 01:08

Hello Rustyelf , I am very sorry to hear your condition. In my case i tolerated it for a month and then decided to go for the surgery (anal stretch). I know it is very difficult to take such a decision, but when one thing does not work you have to try other things till you get results. In any case make sure that you get treated by a very good and skillful surgeon. I suggest you do not wait any longer and go for it. May you get fissure free as early as possible.
Ramchandra Salunke
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby val » 27 Aug 2011, 03:28

Hi Rusty, and welcome on board.
One of the best things to ask your CRS if you're considering surgery is.. how many LIS's have you done??? If he says very few, and says there is a chance of incontinence - then find yourself another CRS! Seriously, a good surgeon will have performed thousands and know exactly what he is doing, there will be near zero risk.
If you have had it for 9 months, it is chronic, and very unlikely to heal with anything other than some kind of surgical intervention.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby rustyelf » 27 Aug 2011, 14:13

Thank you everyone for the help and encouragement. I will update you on Tuesday. I have a bad feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time on this forum!
rustyelf
Fibre Addict

Postby Ramchandra Salunke » 27 Aug 2011, 22:50

Hey Rustyelf, Best of Luck
Ramchandra Salunke
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby rustyelf » 30 Aug 2011, 10:05

UPDATE: I went to the CRS today, he said I have a fistule or fistula, something like that. Anybody have any experience with this? I am having a colonoscopy Thursday, and then a fistulatomy on Friday. I just went ahead and scheduled it because I just want it to end. Am I taking a risk? The doc seemed confident and like it was really the only option. Please help!
rustyelf
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 30 Aug 2011, 10:30

Hey Rusty,
Getting rid of that fistula fast is the best option! Your Doc is right! keeping it would be a risk because they don't just get better or go away. Hope,Val and some others have had the surgery. I'm sure they can help you out with what to expect. Do you have a fissure? If so, will he be doing LIS too?

Postby Deleted User 579 » 30 Aug 2011, 12:30

Hey Rustyelf - you definitely made the right decision. Fistulas don't heal on their own and do require surgery. I had a fistulotomy on June 27th with no problem. The surgery itself was a breeze - they put me out and I woke up and it was over. I had some packing up my butt for the first few hours after the surgery, which wasn't very comfortable, but it came out when I had a BM. The first few days post-op are not fun, I'll admit, but if you have pain meds, the pain won't be bad at all. Don't forget to take stool softeners, though, because the pain meds cause constipation. Miralax/movicol/restoralax is a favourite stool softener among the folks here. I like it because it comes in a powder, so you can modify the dose to suit what you need.
Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that the surgery will go well and you needn't be worried. Will you be getting an LIS too? It would be good to know what you are having done because that will help you prepare better for the recovery and so that you know what to expect. Don't worry, (I know that's hard!), but very soon this will all be a distant memory. :D
Deleted User 579