Crohns treatment effect on slow healing wounds?

Do you suffer from Crohn's/Colitis or IBS. If you are looking for info on how to deal with an anal fissure with these ailments, or just wanting to share your experiences, then this is the place.

Return to Crohn's/Colitis & IBS

Re: Crohns treatment effect on slow healing wounds?

Postby jenny2 » 05 Sep 2011, 18:07

we will be thinking of you tomm seattlesounders. you are in my prayers. good luck.
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 35

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2011, 21:36

Just saw your post, Seattle .Keeping you in my prayers!
Hopefully your bowel prep wasn't too awful.
Please let us know how things go! Image

Postby val » 06 Sep 2011, 13:47

Best of luck, hope everything goes well, and that you don't have crohns.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 579 » 06 Sep 2011, 15:27

Hey Seattle! I've been thinking about you and praying for you. I hope you got good news and that you are doing well. Image
Deleted User 579

Postby seattlesounders » 09 Sep 2011, 22:06

Thanks for the wishes folks. I have some updates, and would love the combined brain power in thinking through this problem - so the tests for Crohns came back negative (second time). The biopsy was taken from the terminal illeum in which there is an ulcer. However there is a healing ulcer in the distal anal canal. My question is how on earth am I going to heal an ulcer in the anal canal? One approach would be to assume the tests are inaccurate and based on other symptoms treat as if it is Crohns like Bernard in one of the old posts. What other approaches would you guys take, and what additonal questions should I ask the doctor for my Monday appointment?
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Deleted User 579 » 13 Sep 2011, 11:42

Hey Seattle - I'm sorry no one replied to this post. I think we were all stumped. Can you tell us how your doctors appointment went? Did you get any advice about healing the ulcer? How are you doing now?
Deleted User 579

Postby PaulsPain » 13 Sep 2011, 17:42

Hey Seattle-
Sorry I missed your post also. I have been over my head at work lately.....
How'd the doctor's appointment go? Having ulcers in the GI tract clearly isn't normal. Do you know what tests they did? It may be worth researching each test to see the underlying accuracy. I did this with all the tests performed on me and how it related to a Crohn's diagnosis. From my understanding a lot of times Crohn's is diagnosed using a lot of data points and bringing these points together to form a diagnosis.
I would think healing the ulcers would completely depend on the cause. Hopefully you will get some answers to help in knowing what to do. Unless it is related to some food allergy I can't imagine a diet change will do much. Of course eating a healthy diet will help healing. I try to eat foods known to aid healing. I eat Pecan's every morning mainly for the supposed healing properties and they are nutrient rich. Through the years I have figured out what nuts are safe for me - pecan's and almond's. I eat a lot of almond butter and drink almond milk. All antioxidant rich.
Where are you located? It may be worth getting another perspective from another doc. I would keep pushing the docs to provide a explanation for the observations - ulcers and slow healing.
Good luck.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby cherylk » 13 Sep 2011, 18:20

Paul,
I hope the Remicaid treatment continues to work for you. My son is now taking the Humira shot for his Crohn's every week. Hope it gets him back into remission. I think ulcers can be biopsied to definitively diagnose CD. That's what happened in my son's case at any rate.
I use the almond milk also, but only knew one other person who does the same!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby PaulsPain » 13 Sep 2011, 18:41

Hi Cheryl-
I have had all my fissures(ulcers) and tissue around anal canal, rectum biopsied twice for Crohn's and they always came back negative. They were testing for granuloma. From my research and doctor's feedback granuloma isn't always present even if you have Crohn's. So I was diagnosed based mainly what the doctor's were seeing not blood or biopsy tests. So that is what is tricky if you have doctor's that completely rely on tests a person could suffer a long time. My CRS and GI both treat IBD and perform research in the area. I guess one perk of living in a large metropolitan area - having docs in very specialized areas. So I think I was lucky to have a team that recognized the signs and solely didn't rely on tests. Once I got the deep muscle fistula with abscess that is what sealed the deal for my CRS that I had Crohn's and sent me to the IBD GI.
I hope that your son is able to achieve remission again with the increased dose interval.
I just saw my GI today. My Remicade treatments are helping but not as much as I or the GI had hoped. I have had my 3 loading doses. So I am going to do one more dose in 8 weeks and then they are going to pull the drain on the fistula and see what happens - oh joy. The open fissure I have has felt better and hasn't bled in a long time.
I really like the almond milk a lot. Just started drinking it in the last couple of months. We have been buying a 3-pack of 1/2 gallons at Costco.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby seattlesounders » 14 Sep 2011, 01:16

Thanks for the follow-up guys. The CRS appointment was useful. Even though the tests came back inconclusive, he still thinks it is mild crohns. I'm waiting on my Gastroent to talk more to the pathologists to see if they feel I'm positive on it based on other facts. Some outstanding questions remain though -
1. The CRS thinks that my wounds (ulcers on top of hem removal) sound like they are healing from my description, and could heal albeit slowly without treatment for Crohns. Specifically, I can now transition on the chair to stand from seating position without pain (2.5 months though), generally poop without pain (providing I'm on miralax and my diet) but will be sore for a little while. Would this level of healing be possible if I had Crohns?
2. Do you have a sense for what the risk is of trying remicade and looking at impact on healing if i actually do not have Crohns?
3. Assuming I have Crohns, does the slow/non healing hem wounds mean the Crohns is active or in remission?
4. Possibly related to Crohns I found that possibly due to my sleep being reduced and not taking supplements I got the most bizarre ulceration of my upper gums. They don't really hurt so much now - but they are still present. Does this sound Crohns related?
5. My belly just below waist on either side feels a bit sore still - could this be just from inflammation or crohns related too?
Paul - will follow up on the tests that were undertaken. Nice going on getting another loading done. This thing has to shift eventually.
Cheryl keeping your son in my thoughts son too. Will keep an eye out for the Armond milk, anything has to be better than Soy Milk all the time :)
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7