5 1/2 weeks post surgery update

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

5 1/2 weeks post surgery update

Postby Jas » 29 Aug 2011, 12:36

I hope I am progressing well. I have been taking metamucil everyday and my BM have been somewhat larger. I no longer have the sharp acute pain during my BM just a pretty intense stretching feeling and some mild discomfort feeling mostly near LIS, I also get a very small amount of pink blood on the TP but not with every BM. My surgeon says to keep my stool bulky so as to keep the region from becoming too tight. I was wondering if that approach will prolong the healing. Also do you think the LIS and fissurectomy sites are still healing? After a visual check everything kind of looks back to normal but I noticed the fissurectomy sight was kind of scare looking, not sure if it's a product of healing or if it will in fact have a small scare. I can also still see the where the LIS was done in the side. Will it always look that way or go away? My wife gets frustrated and says I am healed. I tell her what I just described and she does not believe me. She is tired of it all. Has anyone else had similar healing at week 5-6. I am still nervous about my daily bathroom visits. I wish it would eventually go away. I don't want to retear and start all over.
Jas
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: 5 1/2 weeks post surgery update

Postby Deleted User 579 » 29 Aug 2011, 13:28

Hey Jas! It sounds to me like you are healing well. CRSs give fairly conservative estimates of 6 to 8 weeks to heal, so if you are still at 5 1/2 weeks and having only minimal bleeding and no real pain, I'd say you are doing great! Recovery is a long, slow process, so don't get discouraged.
I learned that I had to inform my hubby about my status in ways that didn't discourage him. I think it's fairly common for family and friends to get frustrated and confused - nobody who hasn't experienced life with a fissure can possibly understand how it affects us! I noticed that if I said something to my hubby like, "I'm still bleeding and in pain", he would worry and get frustrated. But if I said, "I'm still bleeding and having some minor pain, but I'm not worried because I know that's normal for this stage of healing", then he would listen and be more sympathetic, because he felt reassured that there was hope and an end in sight. Also, if I usually qualified my reports with "but this is ok and normal" then when I was worried and told him that something wasn't going right, he responded much more quickly and with more sympathy. Anyway - that's just my experience. I know it's hard when friends and family try to tell you that you are all better when you know you aren't quite there yet!
I really don't think you are going to retear. It sounds like you are right on track. Keep on with the warm baths and stool softeners. It's still a little early yet, but you are doing very well- you will heal! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 29 Aug 2011, 14:02

It is horrible waiting for it to heal - and it seems to take forever! But it does happen!
You sound like you're doing great! Blood after only 5-6 weeks is very normal.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Jas » 29 Aug 2011, 18:36

I noticed a small tear where my fissurectomy was done but little pain and no spasm just discomfort. Have any others had small tear after LIS. Does this mean I am doomed for more problems to come and need surgery again.
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 29 Aug 2011, 20:48

Hey Jas,
I didn't have a fissurectomy done, just LIS. I can't speak from personal experience because I had a straight forward recovery... But I have read numerous post on here where some have re-torn their fissures post-op, had blood. It really doesn't seem that out of the norm to have discomfort or a bumpy recovery for many folks who post here. I really don't think you're doomed at all! I think fissurectomies can sometimes be a little rougher recovery for some. If you aren't having spasms then I'd say the stakes are high that this is going to heal. Under the best circumstances and I mean the best(lol), it will take a fissure 6-8 weeks to heal. It's still pretty early, don't think you're doomed. If you feel the Metamucil may be making the bm's too big, then maybe consider getting your fiber in food with stool softeners. I'm not a doctor and don't want to encourage you to do anything, but natural is always better in my opinion. Metamucil made my poop bigger than any food I've ever ate and I stopped it early with my fissure. I read of another boardie(fissy) who stopped using the Metamucil with her 2nd LIS. She took it with her 1st LIS and had no trouble but from what I read, it was too much the second time around. That may be something to think about.
I wouldn't wipe down there either.If at all possible rinse it with a shower wand and soak after a bm or a soft cotton ball in warm water. Any friction on an already irritated area can't help IMHO.

Postby Jas » 30 Aug 2011, 09:01

I noticed a very very small tear where the fissurectomy was done. This area is still considered to be healing so would that be considered a new fissure or did I just injure the area where the wound was. My surgeon said on my first post op appointment that they are no longer fissures but surgical wounds that take time to heal. I am deathly afraid and hope I did create this evil cycle all over again. My BM this morning was somewhat larger and harder but I had no pain just some discomfort. Seems that when I have a larger BM that it's very tight down there and harder for it to come out. Before surgery this would have been very painful and damaging. Do you think I am too tight again and need a 2nd LIS. My surgeon said at my 2 week follow up that it felt right lol. Seems it is only like this in the morning during my first BM. Usually if I go again during the day it not as hard or large thus making it easier. Does anyone else feel tighter when they have a larger BM or are they all easier after LIS?
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 30 Aug 2011, 09:49

I'm not sure about the small tear by the fissurectomy.
I wish StevePain would come on and reply to your post. He had a fissurectomy too.
I never felt tight again after my LIS. I was always surprised with how much I had emptied during a bm and barely felt it.
It concerns me that the CRS told you that there's no more fissure. From what I've read they cut the fissure out or shave the edges down which leaves a whole new wound to heal. So I guess that's what he mean?!
My CRS doesn't do fissurectomys. I guess it depends on the doctor, but she said they are old and don't make sense( when I asked if I would need one) Image She said it didn't make sense to cut out a cut to heal a cut?!! She just smoothed down the edges by cauterizing.
I've hard larger or dryer bm's since LIS and I can tell that I haven't created the perfect poo that day. Things move slower, but I don't think it feels any tighter- in my case.
I wonder if you may still have some internal swelling going on and things aren't where they need to be with that and it's causing the tight feeling....

Postby Jas » 30 Aug 2011, 10:08

The only time it feels tighter is when the stool is harder and larger. Does not seem to tight if the BM is normal size and softer. I called and will see my surgeon on Thursday. I am now scared all over again that I took 2 steps back. But with my personality I tend to worry a lot and think the worse. Hopefully I am wrong this time. Quick note I had 2 fissurectomies done and the one healed slot faster. The one that is taking longer is closer to the LIS sight which is still healing, maybe that is why it is taking longer to heal.
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 30 Aug 2011, 10:39

Jas, You had a lot of work done, so don't panic. It's probably just needs some time. One of the fissurectomy sights already healing has to be a good sign! Hopefully your CRS will put your mind at ease. I've noticed it seems to take a little more time with the fissurectomies than just straight LIS...
I tend to worry a lot too so I totally can relate to that. Stress surely can't help!

Postby Jas » 30 Aug 2011, 11:49

Thanks Dawn for your encouraging words and support. I am trying to think positive but it is very difficult.Does anyone know or heard of a person on here that became tight again after having LIS. I have been feeling tighter when I have a larger BM. It has been this way since my surgery. I am starting to freak out like there is something wrong. I keep having the urge to go to the bathroom again. Like a nervous stomach. I don't think I can feel better until my doctor gives me an update. Geez I need to be medicated or something I can't believe I am writing all this.
Jas
Salt Bather