Postpartum fissure?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Postpartum fissure?

Postby newbabynewfissy » 31 Aug 2011, 16:10

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and have questions about postpartum fissures and in general. I got an anal fissure with my first baby 2 years ago. After 3 excruciating months and visits to doctors who didn't know what I had I finally went to a CRS who diagnosed me with an AF. He wanted to do surgery the next day but it freaked me out so I put it off. I went home and started on miralax and by the end of the month no more fissure.
That was almost 2 years ago, I had my second baby just 5 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago it came back with a bout of diarrhea. (I just don't believe constipation is the only cause of fissures). It's back and I've uped the frequency of miralax to 2x a day (morning and night) plus I've added 4 sitz baths to the mix. I'm just too tight down there. I've of course lost 30lbs in this 5 weeks and am breastfeeding and am just wondering if there are any other people who after a couple of months post partum the fissure went away? or went away with breastfeeding or what? Should I try to get a CRS to prescribe me nitro? I'm so frustrated because I was forewarned by my OB that this stupid thing would come back and low and behold!
Also, I'm confused as to what foods work. I've been living on mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, avocados and mashed squash since and even though my stools are soft..they aren't soft enough. Should I be adding prune juice or MOM?
Thank you!
newbabynewfissy

Topics: 1

Re: Postpartum fissure?

Postby newbabynewfissy » 31 Aug 2011, 16:13

Oh I forgot to ask, a lot of people have mentioned skin tags and them being associated with chronic fissures. Are old hemorrhoids skin tags? I have this old hemorrhoid from my first delivery and I'm wondering if that's the source.
newbabynewfissy

Postby Deleted User 579 » 31 Aug 2011, 16:59

Hi there! I'm so sorry you have to be here, but welcome! Congratulations on your new baby! :D

There have been quite a few boardies here who got their fissures from childbirth. I hope some of them will chime in because I have not given birth and have no children, so my ability to comment is pretty limited. The first thing I thought of when you mentioned breastfeeding is to be sure that you drink LOTS of water. Breastfeeding dehydrates you, as you probably know. I would definitely contact a CRS right away. That is the person who will help you with this. Regular docs, even good ones, often don't know much about fissures. A good CRS will be able to tell you which ointment would be best for you; but if it looks like surgery might be the way to go, don't panic. Lots of moms here had an LIS after they gave birth and it worked out well. I had it in May and it gave me my life back!

It sounds like your diet is excellent, but there are lots of good meal ideas in the diet tips forum. Adding prune juice or MOM may help, but you'll want to be careful not to get diarrhea! (It's a fine balance to make the perfect poos and it takes some experimenting, unfortunately). It may be the case that your sphincter is just too tight and nothing but liquid stool will feel soft. That can happen with these dern things! If that's the case, surgery may be the best way to fix it. Your CRS can give you more info, of course. If you healed before then you might be able to heal again, but I really think you should be very proactive because once this buggers get chronic, they can really take over your life!

I really hope you beat this soon!
Deleted User 579

Postby newbabynewfissy » 31 Aug 2011, 17:17

Thank you hopetoheal! I will try to contact my CRS soon.
newbabynewfissy

Postby Bernie » 01 Sep 2011, 07:21

Hello,
Similar situation as me, I got my first AF after my first baby (though that was EmCS); after 9 months I had botox, which healed it. I'm now on my 2nd bout of AF, after my second baby. Unfortunately this time, dispite going to the GP asap, I'm now 12months+ since I got it. I'm seeing my CRS for the second time next week so hopefully he'll recommend/I'll ask for either botox again, or surgery (I last saw him in April, but am at the mercy of the NHS).
I breastfed with both my fissures, though I know some women here have chosen to stop BFing. I drink tons of water anyway, but have upped the amount, to account for the dehyrating effects of BFing, and to help soften the BMs. I'm still feeding DD2, and though I've managed to get the AF under control (movicol plus diltiazem) it hasn't healed.
I agree that you should contact your CRS as soon as you can. It's better to have this under the control of somebody who knows what they're doing.
Bernie
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby newmother » 02 Sep 2011, 16:22

Hi there, I am new here. I've been reading for a while but only just registered. I gave birth to my son 8 months ago. It was a long, drug free labor with 5 hours of pushing. Needless to say, I ended up with an AF. I ignored it for a couple of months. After self diagnosing, I tried various creams and herbal supplements for hemarrhoids. I finally went to see a GP when my baby was 5 months old, who diagnosed me but said that it was not that big of a deal and told me to try rectogesic. I was afraid about the headaches so I decided to try Dr Wheatgrass instead. It was on and off for a couple of months. I then had a really bad bout for a couple of weeks so i tried the rectogesic. It seemed to help but the headaches were terrible. I had to time it with what I had on during the day.
Eventually I went back to my GP and asked for a referral to see a CRS. I went to see him last thursday and he explained the botox treatment. I begged for him to squeeze me in asap so I just had Botox on Monday (4 days ago). I feel amazing!!! The first couple of days I felt a little battered and bruised, but it was nothing on the few days that I had post labour. I feel as though I have my life back. I'm so happy that I almost have a slight crush on my CRS!!!!
I hope that this feeling lasts. My diet is pretty good...vegetarian, no alcohol, plenty of fresh fruits & veg, lots of water and herbal teas. Fingers crossed!
newmother