8 weeks after surgery...question

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

8 weeks after surgery...question

Postby joyce » 03 Sep 2011, 20:27

Hi everyone,
I'm writing on behalf of my husband who had a spinterotomy/fissure surgery on 7/7/11. He has good and bad days and we're inquiring to see if this is normal. Yesterday he had a very good day and then today was painful with spasms. He saw his surgeon for a follow-up recently and he said everything looked good and was healing. He is still having a small amount of discharge which is white/very light yellow colored...is this normal? The pain seems to be related to how many bm's he has per day. He's trying to eat a soft diet with approx. 25-35 grams of fiber per day. He's taking metamucil and stool softeners each day and some days goes as many as 4 times even though he's trying to carefully monitor his diet. Can anyone give an suggestions as to how much of each he should be taking? We're trying to experiment and see what works best, but could sure use sugestions.
Thank you SOOO much for any suggestions!!!
Larry & Joyce
joyce
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: 8 weeks after surgery...question

Postby seattlesounders » 04 Sep 2011, 01:21

Hi Larry & Joyce. I found I was going to the loo more often than usual because my bowels seemed to be more sensitive after the surgery. 2 things that cut down my trips to the loo were to remove wheat and dairy from my diet and also modify the times of my supplements. For me I have found that if I have oats in the morning, a high fiber lunch then I can have metamucil and miralax before my dinner, and one more miralax before bed. That seems to enable me to do my business immediately upon rising in the morning only. May God Bless you guys and continue to help your husband heal
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby joyce » 04 Sep 2011, 08:01

Thanks for the helpful info! We'll try that. Did you have any discharge after 8 weeks (just a small amount, white/light yellow in color)? Still wondering if this is normal? Thanks!!
joyce
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby seattlesounders » 04 Sep 2011, 17:19

Yes I did
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?