Irritation on the outside

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Irritation on the outside

Postby Jas » 09 Sep 2011, 19:16

I am 6 weeks post LIS surgery and things have been better since I started you miralax again. The only ? I have is sometimes after a BM and many hours later I get a slight burning or irritated on the outside of my anus. If I take a warm bath or use a little zinc oxide on the area seems to help. Does anyone else ever get this and if so is it part of the healing process, even though my surgeon said I am healed I believe this irritation my happen every now and then until the area has more time to get to 100%. Again it is not fissure pain and I don't feel tight. It is just a mild irritation feeling on the outside.
Jas
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Irritation on the outside

Postby ElizabethAnnB » 10 Sep 2011, 11:53

I am 8 months post op and I still have irritation after BMs. I use Balneol to make sure the area is very clean after BMs. It sucks. I read on the internet that the surgery can make a keyhole deformity in some people and it is just a side effect of the surgery. Mine never stopped unfortunately, but I know some other people have had that in the beginning and it got better with time. I am actually going to go back to CRS soon to have him take a look and see why this is happening and if there is anything that I can do about it.
ElizabethAnnB
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby john » 10 Sep 2011, 13:29

mine started burning 10 weeks and by 14 weeks the crs said i had a fistula. hopefully you don't have this problem. just something to watch for.
john
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Guest » 10 Sep 2011, 20:48

Hey Jas,
I'm almost a year post-op and get mild leakage which causes irritation. I have to keep it super clean especially when walking or it gets irritated. It's improved a lot since surgery but I still have it...
Elizabeth,
I'm not sure about the keyhole deformaty. As far as I know that happens when the incision is made top or bottom of the anus, not right or left as is done in LIS.
Here's a little info I found on WebMD:
The sphincter can be divided in a closed (percutaneous ) fashion by tunneling under the anoderm or in an open fashion by cutting through the anoderm. The cut is made on the left or right side of the anus, hence the name "partial lateral internal sphincterotomy." The posterior midline, where the fissure usually is located, is avoided for fear of accentuating the posterior weakness of the muscle surrounding the anal canal. (Additional weakness posteriorly can lead to what is called a keyhole deformity, so called because the resulting anal canal resembles an old fashioned skeleton key. This deformity promotes soilage and leakage of stool.)

Postby Jas » 11 Sep 2011, 20:00

Dawn or Hopetoheal other than going back to my surgeon how can I tell if have a fistula? I don't want to keep going back to my surgeon and bug him.
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 11 Sep 2011, 20:43

Hey Jas,
I don't have any experience with fistulas. Hope or Val would would be better to advise you on that.
I know there's usually a drainage of pus/ blood. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to go back to your surgeon if you feel somethings not right though. That's their job and you are paying for it.
Hopefully Hope or Val will be on soon and can help you out.
There's some older info in the surgery threads you may find useful. I think NG had a thread on his surgery. I believe he had a lump and had some drainage. I think another symptom could be a fever.

Postby Jas » 11 Sep 2011, 20:47

I just have a little irritation on the outside near where LIS was done. I don't notice any pus or blood
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 11 Sep 2011, 20:52

I remember asking Paul when I was scared to death about having an abscess or fistula and I believe he said the main symptom was drainage. I'll look for the thread and post it here.

Postby Guest » 11 Sep 2011, 21:00

Here's a another link I found that may be helpful. I'm still searching for the one I posted...
http://anal-fissure.org/t2561-infection#52610

Postby Deleted User 579 » 12 Sep 2011, 06:41

Hey Jas - I knew I had an abscess because the area where the LIS incision was got swollen and itchy, with a pinching sensation. I knew I had a fistula when it broke open just at the anal verge and blood and pus came out. After that, it would drain pus when ever I touched it. There is a definite "some-thing-is-not-right" feeling when the abscess and fistula forms.
I agree with Dawn that you should not be shy about going back to your CRS if you think there is something wrong. It's that person's job to make sure there are no complications and to deal with them if there are!
Deleted User 579