29yr old woman, needs help, please! Think I'm falling apart!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

29yr old woman, needs help, please! Think I'm falling apart!

Postby pegzie » 13 Sep 2011, 11:14

It is Tuesday. On Friday I went to the bathroom, had a bm, lots of blood. Saturday, I ended up at the emergency room because of the pain. They gave me lidocaine, and on Sunday morning I woke up screaming! I am not exaggerating here, my husband was beside himself and didn't know what to do. I went back to the emergency room, and after 3 doses of morphine, my pain finally was taken down to a level that I could deal with. I was diagnosed with 2 anal fissures. I came home with Vicodin, and took it for the rest of Sunday. On Monday, I woke up feeling a bit better, but now, I'm constipated from the pain meds the doctors gave me, and I am so afraid of going. I keep having the urge, but nothing is moving.. I have been taking colace since Saturday, and took one capful of Miralax this morning, but I am still very scared. I feel like my stool is hard, and I don't know what to do! Is the Miralax going to help? What else can I do? I am already drinking lots of fluids, but I don't want to end up back in the hospital because I tore myself again! Help, please, I'm in tears here, and don't know where else to turn!
pegzie
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: 29yr old woman, needs help, please! Think I'm falling apart!

Postby Guest » 13 Sep 2011, 11:45

Hi Peg,
It's pretty common to get constipated while on pain meds such as vicodin. Many folks experience this after surgery. First thing we need to do is get things moving... I have my post-op instructions in front of me. Hopefully this will help you out!
It says to take one tablespoon of milk of magnesia. If this is unsuccessful then you can administer one fleets enema(I wouldn't do this) or drink a small bottle of magnesium Citrate. Your Bm may be a little painful until things get moving. Hopefully the vicodin will help you out some.
With that being said, as you have already figured out, Colace is pretty useless especially with pain meds! I would definitely get on the Miralax with the vicodin and ditch the colace once you get things moving.
Hope this helps hun and Welcome to the forum!

Postby Sue27uk » 13 Sep 2011, 11:53

Hi Pegzie, I don't know where you are but it sounds like you're in the US. People say Miralax is very good. Do you have any cream? I'm not sure of the names in the US as I am in the UK, someone else will be able to help with that. Sitz baths help, eating alot of fibre, and the drinking of fluids. I use wipes to wipe because tissue paper can make it very difficult and causes muscle spasm with me. Hopefully this will help you to heal if you have not had them long. I don't know what else to say to help, I'm no expert really! I have been suffering for almost 6 months now and am awaiting treatment. But there is every chance you will heal, and if you don't there are other treatments - I know how scary it can be. Have a look through some of the other threads in here and you may find some advice and ways to control the symptoms. If you need to rant then this is a good place! Hope you feel better soon Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby pegzie » 13 Sep 2011, 12:35

I have both lidocaine and nitro cream that the doctors gave me. My pain from the fissures are better, and I am off of the vicodin. What can I expect with my bowel movement? Will the Miralax really soften the stool so it won't be so painful or hard to move? How long will it take? And yes,I am in the US. I have no insurance, and now am in thousands of dollars in debt because of the emergency room visits. I really need to feel better!
pegzie
Fibre Addict

Postby of all the places to hurt » 13 Sep 2011, 12:43

Aww reading you blog brought back memories and gave me a shiver. Hey, good news...take ur miralax and drink water and that 1st bm wont be half as bad as u imagine ok! Miralax/(Movicol UK version) is a fissures best friend. I am 6 months in "fissureville" and making sure ur bms are soft is the key. Don't worry! Relax too as dreading to go the loo will only make things worse. Try using vaseline around ur O to help ease out the bm without causing more damage. Stick around and read some, as all ur problems will lesson Image
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby val » 13 Sep 2011, 14:57

Sorry you have to be here, and you are suffering so much. I had the screaming in pain with hubby looking on, for 7 months - ughhhh, horrible!
The nitro will help with the spasms, as will warm baths and sitting on a hot water bottle.
As everyone says, soft poos are an absolute must, and movicol and milk of magnesia seem to work the best.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 14 Sep 2011, 08:32

Hi Peg,
Just checking on ya. Hope things are moving along for you today!!

Postby of all the places to hurt » 14 Sep 2011, 12:37

How are you today Peg?? Hope ur ok!!
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby pegzie » 14 Sep 2011, 14:10

I took the Miralax, and things are moving very slowly. I am only able to go a tiny bit at a time. The pain is still pretty bad. My body keeps wanting to push, but I am resisting the urge so I don't tear myself again. I think I will take the Milk of Magnesia tonight, hoping for a bigger bm in the morning, and the end to the constipation. Thanks for checking in on me. Emotionally, this has been really rough on me, tears in my eyes every time I think about it.
pegzie
Fibre Addict

Postby Ramchandra Salunke » 17 Sep 2011, 22:53

Hi PegZie, It is sad to see the way you suffer. Sometimes conventional methods do not work and it is an indication that it is better start considering the option of surgery. In my opinion the problem with AF is that the longer you wait for it to heal and if it does not heal, then the fissure tends to develop scar tissue which is another problem along with the fissure and further adds misery in the healing process. All i can advice is that try all the conventional method for a week or more. If there is no relief, then opt for surgery. Surgery may sound traumatic, but the success rate is quite high. Best of Luck
Ramchandra Salunke
Fibre Addict