2 months post LlS and fissurectomy

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

2 months post LlS and fissurectomy

Postby Jas » 16 Sep 2011, 16:04

I know I've explained my post surgery experiences on other posts but I have another question. Since it's been 2 months after my surgery I have seen much improvement. No more spasms or fissures. I do though get those strange sensations down there on the left side near the LIS incision site. It's not really pain just a slight twinge feeling and some irritation feeling. It seems to happen more when I am walking around a lot or working in the heat. Also if I have more than one BM and have to use TP it can easily get irritated. Has anyone experienced some of these same feelings or issues after repeated BM'S? Does this sound normal for the 2 month mark? Will it get better or should I just realize I will feel this way the rest of my life.
Jas
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: 2 months post LlS and fissurectomy

Postby Guest » 16 Sep 2011, 17:37

Jas, if you read the surgery threads you can see this is not uncommon. We have a number of post on here where this has been a complaint.
As far as I know, it shouldn't be the rest of your life!

Postby Jas » 16 Sep 2011, 19:31

It's just frustrating though. Because I feel like I am being impatient but I can't help it. When I went to the CRS he said all was good but at times I still have those feeling down there like everything is not all the way healed. I wonder if it's the nerve thing Hopetoheal said. Nerves taking time to heal or the scar tissue taking time to soften and go back to normal. Who knows...I hope my constant worry is not bothering some of you. I just want my life back and not always focusing on my backside.
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 16 Sep 2011, 20:04

I understand Jas! :)
I'm almost a year post-op and I still get some irritation. It's very frustrating. It's better than it was in the earlier days but I still have it and it aggravates the hell out of me. I have a mild leakage and I have to constantly clean the area.
Bambi, Elizabeth, Sphinct, and a quite a few others have complained about the same thing. I've found some information on the internet that I posted on the references, websites and facts threads. I still wonder if this leakage isn't the incontinence that's mentioned?!
It's not that I have a problem at all holding gas and bm's but this leakage thing is the only side effect from this surgery that sucks! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it gets better with time since it has improved slowly since surgery.
I feel ya... Things could be more irritated for you since you did have the fissurectomy. I'm not sure Image
Are you having any kind of leakage- like you didn't wipe good the first time? I have to clean it ASAP or it burns the mess out of me. It happens for a couple of hours after a bm and if I have two then it's a grand ole day of rinsing my butt. By bed time I'm clean as a whistle with no problems...

Postby Jas » 16 Sep 2011, 21:53

I don't think I have leakage. Usually when I clean with TP it does the job and I don't have to keep cleaning myself. I do take baths afterwards and it makes things feel better. Sometimes I have BM'S that are harder to clean up...sorry TMI. It seems like I have to wipe a lot and it's still not all the way clean unless I take a bath. If I am at work and end up wiping a lot and not cleaning myself good enough I can get irritated from the stool and the friction from wiping too much. I never have leakage of stool after the original BM. When you have leakage is the same as a regular BM. Or is it just clear leakage. The reason I ask is sometime it appears as if I have like a clear moisture later in the day. I attribute it to just the area and that its mucus membrane so it may be normal. Again sorry for being so graphic no other way to explain though.
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 18 Sep 2011, 19:58

Hey Jas,
It's okay! We have to be graffic here. Just think we never have to look at each other, so it's safe! Haha! JK!
I'm not sure about the clear, but it doesn't sound like anything to be alarmed about to me. I'm no expert but if it's not some funky color like green or yellow then it's probably nothing.
Honestly I know this is all gross ,but mines like I didn't wipe good the first time. It's not like I'm pooping my pants but I'll have it all clean and within like a 2 hour period I have to clean again a few times or it burns and irritates the area. If you're not having that kind of leakage then yours will probably clear up quicker than mine. I honestly feel for you having to clean up at work. My bm's come like clock work in the morning and I'm able to shower off, take a bath or whatever. I know it's easier for a woman to carry things for cleaning up in our purse when we're out too. If it's possible and you can take some of the cotton squares and use the balneol or vaseline for clean up, it would probably cause less irritation down there when cleaning. I saw Val mention baby oil to someone on here. That may cause less friction with the cleaning. I use the vaseline or A&D ointment for quick clean up when I'm out. I never poop in public restrooms ( I just have never been able to :oops: )but the leakage thing happens...
Another thing you may find interesting- Before I had my surgery I was able to talk to a really nice lady from my church. Her husband had LIS 25 years ago. She was nice enough to share some pretty personal stuff about this. She said the only side effect he had from the surgery was that sometimes when he passed gas Image that he felt like he needed to wipe. It just makes me wonder if this would be what they are calling incontinence?!
On the brighter side :Something good happened to me Saturday. I went shopping after a bm that morning, didn't have time to hang around the house for 2 hours and just sprayed with the shower wand and put some vaseline down there with a q-tip. Went to check things out after about an hour of shopping and had no sign of leakage Image That was the first time since LIS that I had no irritation or leakage. I have no idea if this is a sign that the muscle may be tightening or what Image

Postby Jas » 21 Sep 2011, 11:59

Is it normal to get a little tighter back there as time goes on after surgery. I feel a little tight but no where near post surgery.
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 21 Sep 2011, 13:29

Hey Jas, from what I've read- it will get tighter but isn't suppose to ever return to the way it was pre-surgery.
I think there's some info in References, websites and Facts threads that PaulsPain posted, if I'm recalling correctly.

Postby Jas » 22 Sep 2011, 18:30

Well I went to see my CRS today. He did a thorough exam using the anoscope. He said I have a brand new rear end and everything looked really good. I explained to him all my concerns and he eased my mined and answered all my questions. I wanted to make sure I had no other problems and was not becoming to tight again. Although he does want me to take metamucil twice a day now. I guess it's to soften my stool even more. He did say it's ok to use miralax as needed. I am afraid if I use it too much and my BM's will become too soft or small and I will become to tight again. Plus I am afraid of taking it to much and becoming dependent. Not sure if it's habit forming or can be taken for years as with metamucil. My wife also gives me grief for using it everyday. She says if the do
Doctor wanted me to use it daily he would tell me and that is not the case. One mote thing to add. I explain to my surgeon how anxious and depressed this has made me for the past two years. He advised me to see my primary doctor about starting an anti depressant/anxiety. Called my primary and he is starting me on 20 mg celexa. After doing more research I may ask him about taking Lexapro instead. From what I have read it better for treating anxiety or Generalized Anxiety disorder for someone who worries alot and that is me all the way. Has anyone ever used these medications? Note, I have been a worrier all my life not just since my terrible AF days.
Jas
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 22 Sep 2011, 18:59

I also have been a big worrier. I have taken Lexapro on 3 separate occasions (for a period of time). It helped get my anxiety under control when I had the fissure. Tiredness is my main issue with Lexapro, but I'm sure they all have various side effects. I am not familiar with celexa. I never had trouble getting off of the Lexapro whenever I tried to stop taking it. (tapered) Many of us have taken Mirlax for months on end. Doctors give it to babies.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46